Business Apps - OCR and Voice Recognition

veemike

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
My two biggest resource hogs are my Dragon naturally Speaking - Legal Edition ver. 9.0 (32 bit on WinXP Pro) and OCR - OmniPage Pro. Right now I have my original 80 Gig, 8 Mb cache7200 HDD in my Optiplex 745 (Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, 2Mb L2). I have a new Dell 755 mobo ready to be swapped out mobo, an upgraded CPU (E6850, 4 Mb L2), and added all the DDR2 Corsair memory WinXP can recognize. I want better voice recognition and OCR speed. I don't game or do anything with video/graphics or program with my office PC. I want instant voice recognition and OCR. I have priced out a WD Caviar Green 320 Gb with 32mb cache. Do I gain much more by stepping up to WD Caviar Black and more storage space? Even now my 80 Gb OEM HDD is only 70% full. I will never use the 320 gigs available in the Caviar Green, or on a 1TB or higher HDD. I just want more speed.

I currently have the OEM Dell 310 watt PSU. But that's an easy upgrade.

Throw at me a few HDD options without going nutz. All I want; all I have ever wanted, is my voice recognition software to produce as fast as I speak. As of now I am WAY ahead of what Dragon displays.

Planned upgrades are for my optiplex 745 with Intel E6400 (2mb L2 cache) to be a 755 with an Intel E6850 (4mb L2), Win 7 (64 bit) running Dragon Naturally speaking ver. 10 (64 bit). So my current 80Gb HDD is in dire need of upgrading.

Solution
assuming you don't want to spend the money for a SSD then the three best drives at the moment are the caviar black, barracuda xxxxxx.12, and the F3. when looking at those drives the larger ones do have slightly better performance. The caviar green is not a performance drive and will be outperformed by any of the three i listed.

I don't use dragon so I'm not sure of it's requirements but I have a hunch your problem has more to do with your processes than your HD, though it would still be a very good upgrade for your setup.

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
assuming you don't want to spend the money for a SSD then the three best drives at the moment are the caviar black, barracuda xxxxxx.12, and the F3. when looking at those drives the larger ones do have slightly better performance. The caviar green is not a performance drive and will be outperformed by any of the three i listed.

I don't use dragon so I'm not sure of it's requirements but I have a hunch your problem has more to do with your processes than your HD, though it would still be a very good upgrade for your setup.

Solution

veemike

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010

For sure. But I have the opportunity to spend practilly nil just by swapping out my E6400 (2.13 GHz, 2mb L2 cache) and 1066 FSB mobo for a E6850 (3.1 GHz, 4mb L2) on a Optiplex 755 mobo with 1333 FSB. That alone will help and last me a year or two until socket 775 bites the dust.

I will look into the three HDD you suggested.