Phenom 940 and gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H not working

steve1178

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
Hi guys,
I have just bought a gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H (Rev 2.0) mobo and a phenom 940 cpu with ocz 1066 ddr2 ram (2x2gb)

Once first installed i tried to install vista but just keep crashing, tried xp and the same happened.

Thought I would update the bios to the latest ver as perhaphs it isnt recognising the cpu, DL the latest bios to a usb stick but 9 times out of 10 it hangs when reading the new file...

when it does read it complete and all looks good, on rebooting I get the error 'check sum error, restoring bios from backup... :-(

I have no idea what is going on.... I have tried what i think is everything with no joy. are these components compatable with each other?

Also sometimes when i was trying to install windows my optical usb mouse would just decide to turn off, as if power to the usb ports went dead.

Cant think of anything else to do apart from sending them back to ebuyer for them to test and find out if anything is faulty.

Any ideas before i go down this route?

Cheers
Steve

Mondoman

Splendid
My bet is the RAM. OCZ RAM is usually overclocked from the factory and often has compatibility problems as a result. Have you set the RAM voltage in the BIOS to the spec value for your specific model number of RAM (should be printed on the modules)? After you've done that, download memtest86+ (free) and burn a bootable CD from the image file. Boot from that CD and let memtest86+ run overnight as a basic check of your hardware. Only try to update the BIOS or install Windows after you have a memtest86+-stable system.

steve1178

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
Thanks for the reply!
The ram is supposed to run at 2.1v so I set that, run memtest with one stick and that passed fine, ran it with the other and that was fine but when running the two together it reboots at 50%....

Ok last night before trying the memtest, instead of using q bios I used the dos flashing program instead and it seemed to work...

It installed xp fine but strangley wil not boot with the usb mouse plugged in, if i let the computer post and then plug the mouse in on the xp flash screen it will work... (Confused lol).

On trying to install vista, goes for about 2hrs and on the last stage decides to throw all of its teddies out of the cradle...

another day of head scratching me thinks.

Any further ideas very welcome :)

steve1178

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
ok just got it to install vista, all I done different was manually do the voltage and multiplier in the bios for the cpu and ram..

my next problem now is that the usb mouse will not work... I have enabled usb mouse in the bios but still no joy.

any ideas?