Sign in with
Your question

RAID 1 with independent drive

Last response: in Storage
March 21, 2010 9:37:36 PM

Ok, so I recently bought a new motherboard (not really an upgrade but thats another story) anyway, I have one 80GB drive which I am using for the OS and any standard program files. I also have two 500GB drives which I am trying to RAID together into a RAID 1. The problem I am having is that when I setup the RAID in the configuration utility with a RAID 1 and an independent drive the computer basically blue screens at the windows loading screen and reboots. On my previous setup I resolved this issue by setting up the 80GB drive as its own RAID (it was listed as a JBOD in the configuration utility) when I try to do this with the new motherboard however it rejects my attempt to create a single drive RAID giving me the error "two drives are required"

Does anyone have any suggestions? I would really rather not have to reformat my entire machine mostly due to time constraints.

Thanks in advance.

More about : raid independent drive

a b G Storage
March 21, 2010 10:48:15 PM

In the RAID config setup check and see if there isn't an option to "Define a non-RAID disk". In my setup I have have two Raptor 37GB drives set as a RAID 0 array and I do have the option to Define a non-RAID disk (or volume), but I've never had the need to use it.

It also might help if you list your system specs for any other responders.
m
l
a c 121 V Motherboard
a c 155 G Storage
March 22, 2010 1:49:21 AM

As said, list your board

Was your drive set to IDE mode when you installed windows and when it boots right?

Some times if you set the drive to IDE mode when installing then change to RAID or even AHCI mode windows gets up happy(since it no longer knows how to talk to it right).

If your board has more then one controller, set one to IDE mode and use the 80 gig drive. Set the other to raid and build your array. Once in windows and the raid drivers have been installed by windows. you can normally put the single drive back on the other controller or just leave it.

Some boards have an option to make some or the ports run in IDE mode, if you can do that, set it in the bios and see if you can get into windows with the other drives in raid.
m
l
Related resources
March 22, 2010 6:15:07 AM

The board is a biostar TA785GE, it gives me the options for either RAID 0, 1, 10, JBOD or RAID Ready. The problem is it wont let me setup the drive as an independent RAID since it requires two drives to do so. And RAID Ready requires me to wipe my drive. Not sure if different motherboards have different restrictions but on my previous board which was an EVGA 122-M2-NF59-TR I didnt have a problem setting a single drive as its own RAID.

I know the shortest route would be to simply wipe everything and do it that way, I would rather not have to do that and start from scratch again.
m
l
a c 121 V Motherboard
a c 155 G Storage
March 22, 2010 2:09:45 PM

Ok.

I just want to make this clear.

You have one 80 gig with windows on it

and 2 x 500 gigs that you want in raid 1?

Were those drives in raid on your last board?

If that is the case, you can not transfer a raid volume from your Nvidia chipset board to your AMD chipset board. It does not generally work that way. AMD to AMD should have worked , but not NV to AMD.

Those drives will have to be wiped out to start over. If you have your old board, you should be able to put them on again and get your files first.

As for the 80gig, was it also on the old system? If so you may want to reinstall just to get rid of old files and stuff. It may run in IDE mode to get to windows and install raid drivers then you can try swapping to raid mode. That drive you stay as a non raid disk in the raid manager while the 2 500's can be combined into one RAID1 volume.

If this is a fresh install, as said, set it to IDE mode and try to install the raid drivers then make the switch in the bios. This does not always work well. In cases where you can run some ports in IDE mode this is easy(set some ports to ide plug drive get in, install raid drivers for other ports, reboot and replug), but in this case it may be a pain(your board manual makes no mention of this feature).

You should always install windows with the drive config you plan to use.
m
l
March 22, 2010 10:23:53 PM

The two 500s where in a RAID 1 yes, I know you cant transfer a RAID from one board to another thats not the problem. The problem is my new board will not let me keep the 80GB drive as an independent drive while the bios has RAID enabled, basically it bluescreens on windows startup and I am assuming its because its treating the 80GB drive as a RAID even though it isnt setup as one so its missing the data structure for it.

Ultimately it comes down to this,

1 80GB drive - independent
2 500GB drives - RAID 1

How do I get this setup without completely reinstalling the OS on the 80GB drive.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 23, 2010 3:27:11 AM

mickeymacattack said:
The two 500s where in a RAID 1 yes, I know you cant transfer a RAID from one board to another thats not the problem. The problem is my new board will not let me keep the 80GB drive as an independent drive while the bios has RAID enabled, basically it bluescreens on windows startup and I am assuming its because its treating the 80GB drive as a RAID even though it isnt setup as one so its missing the data structure for it.

Ultimately it comes down to this,

1 80GB drive - independent
2 500GB drives - RAID 1

How do I get this setup without completely reinstalling the OS on the 80GB drive.

The problem is that when you switch to RAID mode, you're effectively changing to a completely different drive controller. The easiest thing to do is set RAID mode BEFORE you install Windows. There are workarounds, but they're a big pain.
m
l
March 23, 2010 10:30:32 PM

Thats what I figured, I was just hoping maybe in the off chance there might be a way to do it but for now I guess I will just have 3 drives. I may end up setting up a RAID later once I feel like spending time on reinstalling everything.

Thanks again.
m
l
!