Problem with my external hard drive

phoenix777

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
I've had this external hard drive for a few months, I don't use it a lot.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001D7REIK/sr=8-1/qid=1269210379/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1269210379&sr=8-1

I tried to get something off from it today and it refuses to be recognized by my computer...

I have tried:
- restarting the hard drive
- restarting my computer
- tried it on another computer it worked on previously
- replaced the USB cable

the hard drive spins properly and doesn't make any weird sound. It is not found in my Device Manager when it's plugged in.
I hope it's not broken... I got a lot of stuff on it :(

worst case scenario, how much would it cost to recover the data from the disk? Can I do it myself?

Many thanks

Solution
What version of Windows? You might want to try to unplug the device from your computer first. Then remove all the usb drivers from your computer, and then do a restart see what happens. If you can plug it into another computer. It may just be the enclosure.

paq7512

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
What version of Windows? You might want to try to unplug the device from your computer first. Then remove all the usb drivers from your computer, and then do a restart see what happens. If you can plug it into another computer. It may just be the enclosure.

Solution

paq7512

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
Okay since you have tried it on another computer it seems to be a bad hdd or a bad enclosure. Always good to have an adapter like the Apricorn handy. Keep in mind taking the hdd out of the enclosure voids any warrantys; although, your data may be more important. If it is the hdd, start by running a scan with GetDataBack, if that doesn't work, you can send it off to drivesavers or so on. Their rates start at $500+ depend on how much data you have.