Problem with my external hard drive

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Computer
  • External Hard Drive
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
March 21, 2010 9:46:53 PM

I've had this external hard drive for a few months, I don't use it a lot.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001D7REIK/sr=8-1/qid=...

I tried to get something off from it today and it refuses to be recognized by my computer...

I have tried:
- restarting the hard drive
- restarting my computer
- tried it on another computer it worked on previously
- replaced the USB cable

the hard drive spins properly and doesn't make any weird sound. It is not found in my Device Manager when it's plugged in.
I hope it's not broken... I got a lot of stuff on it :( 

worst case scenario, how much would it cost to recover the data from the disk? Can I do it myself?

Many thanks

More about : problem external hard drive

March 22, 2010 11:51:39 PM

bump
m
l

Best solution

March 23, 2010 3:49:46 AM

What version of Windows? You might want to try to unplug the device from your computer first. Then remove all the usb drivers from your computer, and then do a restart see what happens. If you can plug it into another computer. It may just be the enclosure.
Related resources
March 23, 2010 3:52:05 AM

I tried it on my laptop which has Vista 32 bit, then on my desktop with has Win7 64 bit. I asked someone I know, he said it might be the enclosure too. thx for ur reply
m
l
March 23, 2010 3:56:37 AM

Okay since you have tried it on another computer it seems to be a bad hdd or a bad enclosure. Always good to have an adapter like the Apricorn handy. Keep in mind taking the hdd out of the enclosure voids any warrantys; although, your data may be more important. If it is the hdd, start by running a scan with GetDataBack, if that doesn't work, you can send it off to drivesavers or so on. Their rates start at $500+ depend on how much data you have.
m
l
March 26, 2010 1:17:34 PM

Best answer selected by phoenix777.
m
l
!