Rocknblogger

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
I think one of my HD's is failing. Suddenly for about 3 days I'm getting a BSOD. Today I decided to make sure everything was backed up and I decided to create an image of my boot drive. So...I decided to completely empty out one of my drives to use it for the image file.

Before I continue here's my setup:

Win7 Ultimate
X58 EVGA MOBO i7 920
3 x 1TB HD's & one 500GB HD the 3 TB drives are WD Black drives (not suitable for RAID)
6 GB ram
DVD drives x2

I cleared one of the 1TB drives and decided to format it. I also had a small partition on that drive from an earlier Ubuntu installation and decided to delete the volume altogether and start fresh. (I have Ubuntu on a small partition on the C: Drive)
Anyway, after deleting and then recreating a new volume I now cannot seem to make it active.

I have gone through all the steps to do it and when using Windows administrative tools it tells me that it is active and I do see it in my "My Computer" window but if I reboot the drive disappears. I have tried using the WD Acronis True Image app that comes with the drives and it goes through the process of "Adding" the drive without any errors, but again, once I reboot the drive is gone.

I may be mistaken but I think a couple of time I got the BSOD I was doing something with that drive, of course I can't say what was happening the first couple of times it happened as I had a ton of stuff open on my desktop.

I believe it's that drive causing these problems. Any opinions one way or the other? And is it a pretty safe bet that if I can't assign a drive letter and it keeps disappearing then it is in fact going bad?

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
So you're not sure which drive is dying?

If it was me, at this point I'd at least back up key files using windows file copy, then make another copy to a DVD, and verify on a separate PC. Then fiddle with drive images. If it's a bad drive, the image could be messed up as well, so I would make that my fallback.

Rocknblogger

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
Actually I am pretty sure which drive it is. Luckily it's not the boot drive and right now there are no files on it. Everything is backed up at this point so I wouldn't lose anything even if I had to re-install my OS:)