Sign in with
Your question
Closed

What Is The Maximum Temperature Stock Fan Core i7 920???

Last response: in CPUs
January 10, 2009 2:59:47 AM

The faster you OC it and the more volts you supply, the hotter it will get, so there's not really a "maximum" of how hot it can get (until it physically starts failing, of course). The Intel datasheet for the specific CPU you're interested in will list the maximum "safe" temp.
January 10, 2009 10:28:42 AM

I'd say don't let it go more than 70c
Related resources
March 5, 2009 3:17:35 AM

I think the question is, what is the temperature of an i7 920 at stock speed and voltage under full load with a stock HSF? Intel defined some criteria for the minimum performance for a heatsink. What do they consider a maximum healthy temperature?

It's a rhetorical question. Unless someone has an answer of course.
a b à CPUs
March 5, 2009 4:40:49 AM

I'd say that the i7 runs hotter than most and below 75 or 80C prime 95 max temps is probably OK, but if you want to stay really safe, stay under 70.
March 5, 2009 3:25:49 PM

Depends on ambient(room) temp, but mine is at stock around high 30's, low 40's. Loads are 50's-mid 60's, topped out at 71.
May 5, 2009 6:57:35 PM

scrumhalf said:
Depends on ambient(room) temp, but mine is at stock around high 30's, low 40's. Loads are 50's-mid 60's, topped out at 71.

Hi scrumhalf, I just wondered. What do yo think about my i7 temperatures? I have a i7 with Noctua 1366 SE cooler,
MB is around 50C
CPU core temp around 56-57 idle
GPU (GTX 260 asus TOP) around 50 C

Everything is idle and i just think that these temps are a bit too high?? should i not worry? I admint, that is have used the SILENT mode for fans in hte BIOS, but they are running at around 800 RPM, and CPU-fan ~1100 and GPU -fan around 1300 rpm.

My problem, is that i did not see any real improvement from the stock cooler to this one..

Regards ,Frodi (copenhagen)
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2009 7:29:35 PM

wick001 said:
Just wondering what the maximum temperature is for the Core i7 on the stock fan&cooling.

What is the safe range?

How about you explain your reason for asking this question. We can better answer you then. There is no SET max. Actually I believe it is 115C but you will NEVER want to even come close to that.
May 31, 2009 10:55:18 PM

So I have less than a week that I took my new set with:
Intel I7 - 920 (stock heatsink)
Kingston DDR3 2048 x 3 1333Mhz (KVR1333D3N9/2G)
Asus P6T WS Pro
etc on a cooler master chase.

The room's temperatures are around 25C to 26C and humidity at 80% (aouch I know).

I hadn't stretched the CPU at all till today cause the maximum I could get out of it was about 26% while brute forcing and installing programs simultaneously and was very happy with the speed. However I badly wanted to see loading at 100%. Got real temps that I've heard that works good on it and prime 95 for the cooling down temp. But the results...... :S

Are these temperatures close to normal? :S I have installed the stock heat sink very carefully with the pre-installed thermal paste on it (well my finger took a little) and now?

(Oh I have the chase open and one 120mm fan behind at full rpm)

I have the serious and very bad feeling that it is not a heatsink problem because while the temperatures rose I could (barely but indeed) feel a small increase on the heatsink temps...

June 11, 2009 12:51:17 PM

That's high. You see at 97.7% load there is 6 degrees left to TJMax for two of the cores? TJMax is where the CPU will shut down from overheating.

I think you should have had more margin than that, even with the stock cooler and 26 degrees room temperature. (I'm getting ~20 degrees to TJMax at 22 C room with an aftermarket cooler. I think core temps scale approximately linearly with ambient temperature, so you would have had maybe 10-15 C left.)

But I also think you are still safe, at least as long as you didn't turn off thermal management in BIOS. It's not too hot as long as you have a little margin to TJMax left, and as long as the "thermal status" i Real Temp is OK. (It will show a notice if the CPU is or has been too hot, check out the Real Temp documentation.)

Here are a couple of links for you:

"unclewebb" in this link is the guy that makes the Real Temp software. He thinks
the i7 stock cooler is "barely adequate" and recommends buying an aftermarket cooler.
The person posting his temps on the i7 runs even hotter than you. If that's a comfort :) 

A Legit review here says that most aftermarket coolers shave 10 C or more off the Intel stock cooler temps under load. (Although I have heard others say they got very little difference.)

B3bis said:
... while the temperatures rose I could (barely but indeed) feel a small increase on the heatsink temps...

Not sure if the Real Temp sensor test is long enough to warm the heatsink. But if you run Prime95 for 10-15 minutes and have coretemps 80+ degrees, the heatsink should be uncomfortably hot to the touch. If it isn't, it suggests the processor doesn't transfer heat to the heatsink as it should, and you should try reseating it. (You will need new thermal paste.)

Good luck :) 
July 29, 2009 1:25:28 AM

fsamuelsen said:
Hi scrumhalf, I just wondered. What do yo think about my i7 temperatures? I have a i7 with Noctua 1366 SE cooler,
MB is around 50C
CPU core temp around 56-57 idle
GPU (GTX 260 asus TOP) around 50 C

Everything is idle and i just think that these temps are a bit too high?? should i not worry? I admint, that is have used the SILENT mode for fans in hte BIOS, but they are running at around 800 RPM, and CPU-fan ~1100 and GPU -fan around 1300 rpm.

My problem, is that i did not see any real improvement from the stock cooler to this one..

Regards ,Frodi (copenhagen)

Hi Frodi,

What is your pc case your using? Make sure u have good ventilation in your system. Not enough ventilation may result in higher temp. How many fans does your pc has? if 2 only try adding 2 fans more.

Marion
a b à CPUs
July 29, 2009 4:23:56 AM

wick001 said:
What is the safe range?
The CPU lowers the clock multiplier from 21 to 20 when the case hits 70 degrees, so that's the temperature I think it's worth aiming for.
August 24, 2009 6:03:30 PM

marion_quijano said:
Hi Frodi,

What is your pc case your using? Make sure u have good ventilation in your system. Not enough ventilation may result in higher temp. How many fans does your pc has? if 2 only try adding 2 fans more.

Marion

Hi Frodi,

Your idle temps are high. If you have plans to OC your system I would install the Corsair H50. It is not too expensive but you get a massive difference in cooling. I am running the Core i7 920 at 4Ghz with my CPU cooler being the Corsair H50 and my system on max load. Prime95 does not exceed 68C. If you are sitting idle at close to 60C you could run into temp issues when you OC.

Dean
September 13, 2009 10:09:29 PM

Hi,

I'm running stock cooler and prime 95 max temps hit 75C for me (on max cpu fan speed). I have the P6TDeluxe and have a GTX 260.

To keep my system quiet I run the stock cooler at 63% (when not running prime 95) speed and idle temps are 40C for CPU and 41C for MB.

I do find that with the GTX 260 being so close to the north bridge I think it's poluting the temps, because in Prime 95 CPU hits 75C and MB hits 43C.

when I'm in a 3d game max CPU hits 55C and MB also gets to about 55-56C.

Any thoughts? I considered moving the video card to the bottom PCI express slot to keep it away from the north bridge, but I foundit difficult to connect the wires for the power, was getting in the way of the indake fan of the video card. I may try that again and compare temps.

Anthony
October 16, 2009 2:47:16 PM

I've just put together a system with liquid cooling for the first time and I have a small overclock on it courtesy of the EasyTune6 app. I just tried the Prime95 program and I saw my core temps rise from around 47-50 at idle into the mid 60's. I was called away and the last I saw they were at 66-67 degrees and when I came back about 20 minutes later the pc was sitting at the login screen having crashed (first time this system has crashed in the 3 days it has existed). Should I be expecting better cooling than this from a liquid cooled system or am I expecting too much? I bought this kit with the intention of shooting for a 4Ghz overclock as pretty much everyone online seems to be reporting this as dead easy with this gear.

Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit)
Intel i7 920 (D0) @3.2Ghz
Gigabyte EX58-Extreme
OCZ Reaper 6Gb 1866
ThermalTake Kandalf LCS case (built in liquid cooling system)

Any thougts?

Cheers!
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2009 3:47:55 PM

Vormulac ,

Welcome aboard! Please read the Stickies, and use SEARCH ... you can't miss it ... top dead center of whatever page you're on.

Guys,

This thread is a thermal train wreck, and a FUD-Festival! :ouch:  Newcomers have been dredging this up almost on a monthly basis since it was originally posted on January 9th! I'm too busy to watch the Forums like a hawk for a few days, and this damned thing pops up ... again?

Enough! Let's get this mess cleaned up and into perspective. I'm once again posting the following for everyone's benefit, so here's what you need to know. Please, read and heed:

Temperatures and overclocking are all about specifications, so it's very important to be specific. If we're not, then the topic makes about as much sense as comparing apples-to-oranges thermal fruit salad in a blender! :pt1cable: My objective is to assure that enthusiasts understand Intel's specifications, standards and test methods, so they can better decide how to apply and manage their overclocking options.

From Intel's [b said:
Processor Spec Finder - http://processorfinder.intel.com/List.aspx?ParentRadio=...

All Core i7 9xx variants:

Vcore Max 1.375v
Tcase Max (CPU temperature) 68c
Tjunction (Core temperature) 73c

From the Core i7 and Core 2 Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-sticky-core...

"Section 1: Introduction

Core i and Core 2 processors have 2 different types of temperature sensors; a CPU case (not computer case) Thermal Diode centered under the Cores, and Digital Thermal Sensors located on each Core. The case Thermal Diode measures Tcase (Temperature case), which is CPU temperature, and the Digital Thermal Sensors measure Tjunction (Temperature junction), which is Core temperature. Since these sensors measure 2 distinct thermal levels, there is a 5c temperature difference between them, which is Tcase to Tjunction Gradient. Core i7’s / i5’s and Core 2 Quad’s have 1 Tcase and 4 Tjunction sensors, while Core 2 Duo's have 1 Tcase and 2 Tjunction sensors ...

... The monitoring utilities provided by motherboard manufacturers monitor CPU temperature, while some popular freeware utilities monitor Core temperatures ... Real Temp ... is recommended for users interested in monitoring Core temperatures only ... SpeedFan monitors Tcase (CPU temperature) and Tjunction (Core temperature) ... "

The Thermal Specification shown in Intel's Processor Spec Finder is Tcase Max (CPU) not Tjunction (Core), which is a very common misconception among most enthusiasts. Since there's a 5c gradient between the CPU sensor and the Core sensors, (shown in the following Intel document) - http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0709/0709.1861.pdf - just add 5c to the value shown in the Spec Finder to determine the corresponding Core temperature, which is 73c for all Core i7 9xx variants.

Intel's second and frequently misunderstood Thermal Specification, Tjunction Max, (100c for all Core i7 9xx variants) applies to overtemp protection such as Throttle and Shutdown, so you don't toast your transistors. As such, any i7 9xx Core temperatures which exceed 73c should be considered "overtemp". Further, when specifications are exceeded, then processor degradation becomes a concern, which is explained in the following AnandTech article - http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3...

Prime95 Small FFT's is the Standard for processor thermal testing, because it's a steady-state 100% workload which yields steady-state temperatures, whereas Blend is a memory cyclic workload which yields fluctuating processor temperatures. Small FFT's will reach 97% thermal saturation within 7 to 8 minutes, so a 10 minute test is adequate. Thermal testing should be conducted as close as possible to 22c (72f) Standard ambient, with case covers removed, the computer clear of any desk enclosures, and all fans at 100% RPM to eliminate cooling variables, and to produce consistent and repeatable results for comparisons. If the Gradient between CPU temperature and "mean" (average) Core temperature is not ~ 5c, then BIOS is incorrectly coded. CPU temperature and Core temperatures can be individually calibrated in SpeedFan by following the Calibrations Section in the Temperature Guide.

OCCT and Burn Test (reminiscent of TAT) use LinPack, which shows thermal signatures that resemble the ups and downs of a bad day on the stock market, and cycle between light workloads, through test segments which spray all processor registers with all one's, (100% thermal load = 115% workload), and can push an overclocked i7 9xx with HT enabled at Vcore Max 1.375, right on past Tcase Max to ring the Tjunction Max bell like a fire alarm! :o 

Since there are very few applications or games that will spike, let alone sustain processor workloads beyond 70% to 85%, utilities which load all registers with all one's are not representative of real-world computing. While these utilities are certainly very useful for stability testing, they are inappropriate for thermal testing. The 3DMark benches are excellent for stability testing, as are applications for ripping and encoding.

To make sense of CPU temperature and Core temperature, compare them to a 4 cylinder car with 5 temperature guages; 4 of the guages are cyclinder head temperatures (closest to the heat source), and the 5th guage is the overall engine temperature, which is 5c lower than the other guages, and is the temperature guage with which we're all familiar. We know the red zone (hot) for the i7 9xx starts at 68c (Tcase Max) on the engine temp guage and 73c (Tjunction) on the cylinder head temp guages, but if we push the engine too hard and peg all the guages, (95c Tcase overtemp / 100c Tjunction Max) then the engine will shut down.]Temperatures and overclocking are all about specifications, so it's very important to be specific. If we're not, then the topic makes about as much sense as comparing apples-to-oranges thermal fruit salad in a blender! :pt1cable:  My objective is to assure that enthusiasts understand Intel's specifications, standards and test methods, so they can better decide how to apply and manage their overclocking options.

From Intel's Processor Spec Finder - http://processorfinder.intel.com/List.aspx?ParentRadio=...

All Core i7 9xx variants:

Vcore Max 1.375v
Tcase Max (CPU temperature) 68c
Tjunction (Core temperature) 73c

From the Core i7 and Core 2 Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-sticky-core...

"Section 1: Introduction

Core i and Core 2 processors have 2 different types of temperature sensors; a CPU case (not computer case) Thermal Diode centered under the Cores, and Digital Thermal Sensors located on each Core. The case Thermal Diode measures Tcase (Temperature case), which is CPU temperature, and the Digital Thermal Sensors measure Tjunction (Temperature junction), which is Core temperature. Since these sensors measure 2 distinct thermal levels, there is a 5c temperature difference between them, which is Tcase to Tjunction Gradient. Core i7’s / i5’s and Core 2 Quad’s have 1 Tcase and 4 Tjunction sensors, while Core 2 Duo's have 1 Tcase and 2 Tjunction sensors ...

... The monitoring utilities provided by motherboard manufacturers monitor CPU temperature, while some popular freeware utilities monitor Core temperatures ... Real Temp ... is recommended for users interested in monitoring Core temperatures only ... SpeedFan monitors Tcase (CPU temperature) and Tjunction (Core temperature) ... "

The Thermal Specification shown in Intel's Processor Spec Finder is Tcase Max (CPU) not Tjunction (Core), which is a very common misconception among most enthusiasts. Since there's a 5c gradient between the CPU sensor and the Core sensors, (shown in the following Intel document) - http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0709/0709.1861.pdf - just add 5c to the value shown in the Spec Finder to determine the corresponding Core temperature, which is 73c for all Core i7 9xx variants.

Intel's second and frequently misunderstood Thermal Specification, Tjunction Max, (100c for all Core i7 9xx variants) applies to overtemp protection such as Throttle and Shutdown, so you don't toast your transistors. As such, any i7 9xx Core temperatures which exceed 73c should be considered "overtemp". Further, when specifications are exceeded, then processor degradation becomes a concern, which is explained in the following AnandTech article - http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3...

Prime95 Small FFT's is the Standard for processor thermal testing, because it's a steady-state 100% workload which yields steady-state temperatures, whereas Blend is a memory cyclic workload which yields fluctuating processor temperatures. Small FFT's will reach 97% thermal saturation within 7 to 8 minutes, so a 10 minute test is adequate. Thermal testing should be conducted as close as possible to 22c (72f) Standard ambient, with case covers removed, the computer clear of any desk enclosures, and all fans at 100% RPM to eliminate cooling variables, and to produce consistent and repeatable results for comparisons. If the Gradient between CPU temperature and "mean" (average) Core temperature is not ~ 5c, then BIOS is incorrectly coded. CPU temperature and Core temperatures can be individually calibrated in SpeedFan by following the Calibrations Section in the Temperature Guide.

OCCT and Burn Test (reminiscent of TAT) use LinPack, which shows thermal signatures that resemble the ups and downs of a bad day on the stock market, and cycle between light workloads, through test segments which spray all processor registers with all one's, (100% thermal load = 115% workload), and can push an overclocked i7 9xx with HT enabled at Vcore Max 1.375, right on past Tcase Max to ring the Tjunction Max bell like a fire alarm! :o 

Since there are very few applications or games that will spike, let alone sustain processor workloads beyond 70% to 85%, utilities which load all registers with all one's are not representative of real-world computing. While these utilities are certainly very useful for stability testing, they are inappropriate for thermal testing. The 3DMark benches are excellent for stability testing, as are applications for ripping and encoding.

To make sense of CPU temperature and Core temperature, compare them to a 4 cylinder car with 5 temperature guages; 4 of the guages are cyclinder head temperatures (closest to the heat source), and the 5th guage is the overall engine temperature, which is 5c lower than the other guages, and is the temperature guage with which we're all familiar. We know the red zone (hot) for the i7 9xx starts at 68c (Tcase Max) on the engine temp guage and 73c (Tjunction) on the cylinder head temp guages, but if we push the engine too hard and peg all the guages, (95c Tcase overtemp / 100c Tjunction Max) then the engine will shut down.
[/b]
If you'd like to learn more about processor temperatures, then just click on the link in my signature.

Hope this helps,

Comp :sol: 
October 18, 2009 2:02:38 PM

My sincerest apologies for jumping in with my post before reading the stickies.
November 11, 2009 5:11:27 PM

CompuTronix said:
Vormulac ,

Welcome aboard! Please read the Stickies, and use SEARCH ... you can't miss it ... top dead center of whatever page you're on.

Guys,

This thread is a thermal train wreck, and a FUD-Festival! :ouch:  Newcomers have been dredging this up almost on a monthly basis since it was originally posted on January 9th! I'm too busy to watch the Forums like a hawk for a few days, and this damned thing pops up ... again?

Enough! Let's get this mess cleaned up and into perspective. I'm once again posting the following for everyone's benefit, so here's what you need to know. Please, read and heed:

If you'd like to learn more about processor temperatures, then just click on the link in my signature.

Thanks,

Comp :sol: 

You say there is a 5 degree spread? Then why do I get a 18 degree like spread? My cpu temp is like 20 degrees while my cores are bewteen 32-38 degrees...

Thanks.

a b à CPUs
November 11, 2009 10:48:31 PM

davidm671 said:
You say there is a 5 degree spread? Then why do I get a 18 degree like spread? My cpu temp is like 20 degrees while my cores are bewteen 32-38 degrees...

Thanks.
Read my post above once again ... this time a bit more carefully please.

If the Gradient between CPU temperature and "mean" (average) Core temperature is not ~ 5c, then BIOS is incorrectly coded. CPU temperature [i said:
and Core temperatures can be individually calibrated in SpeedFan by following the Calibrations Section in the Temperature Guide.]If the Gradient between CPU temperature and "mean" (average) Core temperature is not ~ 5c, then BIOS is incorrectly coded. CPU temperature and Core temperatures can be individually calibrated in SpeedFan by following the Calibrations Section in the Temperature Guide.
[/i]
November 11, 2009 10:59:16 PM

CompuTronix said:
Read my post above once again ... this time a bit more carefully please.

I'm sorry I must have been speed reading. I have the Evga Classified and must be a nuance associated with the kind of board or the cooling system used? Its water cooled. The gap I think gets closer after it warms up a bit, but its always like a 12 degree difference where the cpu temp is like 20 degrees and the core is about 32.

On my Abit 680i board the two temps are almost identical with the core temp being a few degrees colder than the cpu temp. That one has a TRUE installed on it...

Anyhow, thank you. I will try to read more carefully from now on,

Dave.

December 6, 2009 11:23:39 PM

Prime95 torture test "blend", temps are hovering at CPU 66c, and system 27c during a 20 minutes run.
i7 860 w/ Stock Heatsink
4gb ddr3 G.Skill 1600
Biostar T5XE CFX SLI
Idle temps are CPU 19c, and system 23c
Does that sound about right?

edit: just downloaded Realtemp on a suggestion. I think the other temp monitor might have been off a bit by about 12+c. Did not do a full stress test yet though. So maybe I was in the lower to mid 70s in the testing I mention above.
December 7, 2009 8:34:59 PM

~70x is optimal high. CPUs are rated for around 80-85c max, but no never want to be up there. Also, they'll throttle themselves down if they get too hot.

Anyone remember the video of someone removed the heatsink off of the P4 while Quake3 was running and the game about stopped. Then they put the heatsink back on and the game sped right back up to normal.

The AMD cpu at the time didn't fair so well as it surpassed 200c instead of slowing it self.
December 16, 2009 2:40:21 PM

CompuTronix I understand your info seems to have come from a reliable source but to me it seems inaccurate. I'd welcome correcting if I'm wrong but my understanding is as follows. Real Temp measures the distance from TJMax NOT the actual temp of TJ. Now my PC will idle about 66degrees below TJMax and if I set TJmax to 73 as you suggest real temp says my TJ is about 7degrees. Now while I'd love this I can't believe its true...

Leaving TJmax at 100 degrees means my idle is around 34 degrees (which for a 920 OC'd to 4Ghz on air seems more accurate)

There seems to be a huge variety of info on this subject some of which seems good, but some is clearly wrong. Max temps I'd take with a pinch of salt. Different CPU will generate different temps and have different Max temps. The only sure rule is the lower the better!

As a point of reference I'm running a 920 at 4Ghz with a core Voltage of 1.328. This is on a Gigabyte UD5 Mobo with a Prolimatech Megahalems cooler with 2 Scythe Ultra Kaze 2000RPM fans. (This is in a large, well vetilated case)

I get an idle between 33 and 36 and a max of 72 on my hottest core after around an hour of Prime 95. Under normal use or gaming my CPU has never touched 50.
December 16, 2009 2:52:23 PM

Sorry hit post too quickly with a typo in. Last bit should be "Under normal use or gaming my CPU has never touched 60" not 50.
December 20, 2009 4:50:37 PM

I have mine OC'd to 3.48GHz @ 1.325V and in Prime 95 it won't exceed 64 C. Not oC'd it won't exceed like 55C or so. I'm using a XIGMATEK Dark Knight 120mm CPU Fan.
December 21, 2009 2:21:56 AM

The maximum cpu temperature can be taken as Tjmax (core temperature) which IIRC for the i7-920 will be somewhere around 100C. Below that temperature the cpu is operating in specification. With i7 Tjmax can be read directly from the cpu.

I think the above mentioned sticky needs updating. The diode temperature is located on the die and is NOT the case temperature.
a b à CPUs
December 21, 2009 2:29:43 AM

Using a stock i7 920:
w/ a CM N520, and at prime95 full load it doesn't exceed 57'C
w/ a Mugen2, and at prime95 full load it doesn't exceed 52'C

I believe the stock cooler generally goes to the 80s'C with the i7 920 when running prime95.

The i7 can take temperatures in the 90's before experiencing shutdowns. Temps in the 90's will cause rapid chip degradation. Keeping it under 90'C will prevent any significant chip degradation, and keeping it under 80'C is the recommended limit for reducing any noticeable chip degradation IIRC from other posts.
December 21, 2009 9:40:34 AM

My i7-920 is at 3.48GHz, running core temps at about 73C, and pretty stable so far... The only mod I've made is to turn the BCLK up to 166.

Ideas on next steps to squeeze out more speed without increasing core temps much further?
January 8, 2010 8:41:41 PM

Using Adobe Media Encoder CS4 to transcode 34 minutes of AVCHD 1080i 60 fps 24 Mbps footage to h.264 Blu-ray 1080p 23.976 fps 25 Mbps is the only time my i7 920 uses all four cores over 60% capacity. Right now I am using the stock cooler and seeing temperatures at 73 C.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 19, 2010 9:36:22 PM

My rig:

i7-920 with stock cooler
Asus Gene MB
Fans: rear 120mm, spot cooler on NB, psu fan
650W psu
Asus GTX260
9 GB Ram

Idle temps:
27 - 30 cpu
48 - 50 gpu
50 - 55 MB
50 - 55 SB
55 - 60 NB

Heavy load (DDO or STO max'd for a couple of hours) and room temp 77 - 80:
55 - 60 cpu
65 - 70 gpu
65 - 70 MB
70 - 75 SB
70 - 75 NB

I do keep the inside of the case very clean. I know when to clean it because the temps start to drift up a bit.
February 22, 2010 10:46:51 AM

wick001 said:
Just wondering what the maximum temperature is for the Core i7 on the stock fan&cooling.

What is the safe range?

the intel website states that after 95c the place of the motherboard that houses the processor will start to deform
so till 80c would be fine to which you would rarely go
March 20, 2010 11:13:08 AM

I'm Running a I7 920@ 3.3 atm its on stock van but im worried about the temp. because if the load is around 20% the temps are:

Core 1: 59 and these are the highest temps i was seeing: 69
Core 2: 63 66
Core 3: 60 69
Core 4: 54 65

These temps are with a low Load.

Then with the StressTester i was seeing Temps close to 100 (short term) anyway should i drop back to 2.9 or would it be safe to stay at 3.3?

System Specs:
Memory (RAM): 6136 MB
CPU Info: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920
CPU Speed: 3300,9 MHz
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. Rampage II Extreme
G-card: ATI Radeon™ HD 5870
March 23, 2010 1:57:27 AM

There is another overlooked setting that influences temperature : hyper-threading.

I've got quite a "stock" system : Core i7 920, on an ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, everything running at stock speed, stock cooler, typical 6-fan case (case is closed btw), about 21 room temp. Actually, the only thing not at stock setting is memory : upped voltage to 1.64V to run 3x2048MB DDR3 1600MHz DIMMs at 1066MHz but with lower latency (5-5-5-12).

Running prime95 torture test ("In place large FFTs", the worst on temperature, 8 worker threads) brings CPU temp to about 80 and individual Core remain within 84-87 after 30 minutes, while the CPU fan is partying at 2200 RPM. Stock cooling is definitely not good for heavy number crunching.

BUT... if I disable Hyper-Threading from the BIOS and run the same test (4 or 8 worker threads, doesn't make any difference), CPU temp stays around 71, while individual cores stays within 75-79 (still within 30 minutes or so, I haven't seen any difference from 10 to 30 minutes anyway)

Therefore, it seems you can get you CPU 5-10 degrees cooler just by disabling HT. Personally, I have yet to experience any human-noticeable performance drop after disabling HT, even on hardcore Photoshop CS4 batch processing (lots of filters, not too much disk access)

My advice : check with your most demanding "real uses" if HT makes any difference. If it doesn't, keep it disabled. If it does, you might want a better cooling solution.
March 23, 2010 4:45:00 PM

Just to share. I've just setup a new system. All stock, pretty much same as Zirconia in the post above and the CPU was hitting 50C while Idle. Didn't like that. So I started snooping around the net and called Intel. They claim the temp on i7 920 is standard up to 67.9C Idle, however, their warranty booklet says to keep it under 38C. So I found one interesting post that suggested touching the Heatsink to see how it felt. Mine felt cold.
Went to the store, bough a OCZ Extreme FREEZER Thermal Compound, removed the Intel factory supplied compound and replaced it with the bought one. My temperature now: 39C IDLE. I like that.
Maybe this helps someone else.
April 2, 2010 8:23:22 PM

NitosBusa said:
Hi Frodi,

Your idle temps are high. If you have plans to OC your system I would install the Corsair H50. It is not too expensive but you get a massive difference in cooling. I am running the Core i7 920 at 4Ghz with my CPU cooler being the Corsair H50 and my system on max load. Prime95 does not exceed 68C. If you are sitting idle at close to 60C you could run into temp issues when you OC.

Dean

hey is the 68C at full load with prime 95 of the core temps? or the CPU?
I have the Corsair h50 with core i7 920 running 2.8 at 40C core temp and 28C CPU! I tried overclocking but it just gets too hot..what voltages are you using? and i have a CM 690 II Advanced with all the possible fans installed (Good fans: Noctua + Zigmatec)!

Thanks for advice.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 23, 2010 7:58:33 AM

mine got to 95C (stock)
with mem to @1600

with a render in 3Dmax, crashed... guess above 95C... guess I must clean the cooler from the dust...

when I brought it it tops 85C

now my cooler won't go more than 2100RPM... I guess this is the problem... and I don't know how to make go faster...
April 24, 2010 2:29:19 PM

HELP!!!!!!! i got stock cooling on my i7 920 me and my mate dident like the temps so we under volted,
and well yea i got it running stock speed at 1.15V max temp i got so far is 70C

i dont see this being safe 4 my cpu is there any problems that can come out of under Volting????
should this even be possible 1.15V at 2.66Ghz with turbo on! ???

plz tell me anything if not eveything i should know about what i have done or what i am doing
April 25, 2010 1:28:10 PM

DAM my MAX temp now is 62C WTF should a i7 920 2.66GHz even be running at 1.000V
April 30, 2010 12:35:45 AM

undervolting is okay, as long as your cpu stays stable
if you are mostly gaming, i suggest to disable HT, because it doesnt give you any performance and it drastically reduces temp.
im running i7 920 d0 OCd to 3.5GHZ using 1.12 Vcore with HT on, my temps are: 35-40C idle and around 60-65C load during prime95 (using haf 932 case and noctua 1336 SE2 cooler)
to further reduce temps, i suggest you take your time and tweak voltages, because every CPU is different, so Auto setting is made to work with all CPUs, which can give you some weird voltages (try to increase bus clock and leaving voltage on auto... it will use like 1.4 vcore for crappy overclock like 3.4ghz)

hope it helps
April 30, 2010 7:37:45 AM

i'm kinda new 2 under / over clocking HT?
my mate said change that 1 this 1 and never go over this or under that and always run at least a 12hr stability test

so yea fail stll 2.6Ghz stock cooling 1V max temp after 12hr stress test 64C
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 1, 2010 7:02:21 PM

My rig:

i7-930 with NOCTUA NH-C12P-SE14
ASUS RAMPAGE II GENE X58 S-1366
Fans: rear 90mm, Noctua NF-B9,
SILVERSTONE 400W NOISELESS
SAPPHIRE RADEON HD5750 VAPOR-X 1GB GDDR5
CORSAIR 6GB DDR3 INTEL I7 DOMINATOR GT 1866MHZ CL7

Idle temps:
approx. 45C

Heavy load (Blu-ray recoding Handbrake 1081p to 720p):
Max core temperatures during recoding:
Core 1: 89C
Core 2: 87C
Core 3: 86C
Core 4: 82C

I find this quite high, especially when comparing to Overclockers Club review with the i7 920:
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/noctua_nhc12p_s...
where they have idle 27C and load 49C.

Is there something I've done wrong in my system?
July 12, 2010 3:38:50 AM

wick001 said:

What is the safe range?

Its amazes me the way people go off a tangent when all the guy asked was a simple question. I read on the intel web site processor that stock speed temps can reach 70 and be fine.
a b à CPUs
July 12, 2010 5:00:30 AM

It amazes me the way people go off posting on a board thats 1.5 years old :) 
July 13, 2010 2:49:58 AM

LOL, didnt realize that
!