Sign in with
Your question

Max disk size on AV8?

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 14, 2009 5:57:59 PM

Hello, possibly a stupid question: Is there a max harddisk size on my Abit AV8 mobo? Put another way, I have a new WD Caviar 1000GB harddrive, and my mobo won't recognize it. Incompatibility or just wrong bios settings?

tia, juhis

More about : max disk size av8

a c 235 V Motherboard
February 14, 2009 9:36:36 PM

It's probably too large. Did you upgrade to the latest BIOS? The VIA chipset isn't the only one having a disk size limit. Lots of older systems can't support a 1TB drive.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 15, 2009 4:06:06 PM

Just a follow-up, in this case, the problem was my own fault. The new hd is a sata2 one and I got it working by slowing the bus back to sata1 speed, that is, 1.5Gb/s, with a jumper.

So, everythings working....

Thanks guys,

juhis
Related resources
April 16, 2009 8:13:38 PM

Thank you so much, I made exactly the same wrong circle, indented alreade to flash bios MB + SATA what would have been a waste of time without any success anyhow. Guessing around about Capaciy limits supported. Woundering there should be more fellows experiencing the same type of problem ... Until I found your entry. Adding a jumper on the drive to lower the speed is all what was needed. In general, hardfile manufacturers have very good documentation on their webpages.
Info: Motherboard is ASUS A8V, HDD is 1.0TB WD10EADS. thanks. Hubi
June 15, 2009 12:37:08 PM

I can get this drive running with out the jumper setting to 1.5 on promise and setting array but I have jumper setting on 1.5gb for via sata and I get bios not installed. Are you guys using Via sata or promise sata?
July 10, 2009 7:41:55 PM

k3i7zY said:
I can get this drive running with out the jumper setting to 1.5 on promise and setting array but I have jumper setting on 1.5gb for via sata and I get bios not installed. Are you guys using Via sata or promise sata?

Sorry, I have an ASUS A8V as said, not sure on which controller my drive is connected to.
Cannot determine by XP tools itself nor by EVEREST home edition which drive hangs on which controller
(Promise Fast Trak 378, Promise Raid, VIA Sata).
Just tried to point out that "speed down" jumper, as some older SATA controllers do not properly implement SATA speed negotiation (see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA) as it is in my case, and the jumper solved my problem to install an internal HDD 1TB.
I bougth a SATA II PCI controller and learned that this does NOT mean 3.0 Gbit. It only is capable of
1.5 Gbit and got proof that this is correct behavier (ref Wiki pages). Hence I cannot swap an additional 1TB SATA external Drive (eSATA) I have between Computers since the external drive I did not manage to dismantle hence I can't put a jumper on. Currently I'm stuck in this situation.
ciao

!