evanparsons

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Hello all,

My Lacie 2big Network has just failed. I had it configured to 'safe'.

At first, the light on the front started flashing red/blue. While the lights on the back flashed red/blue on one drive, and held a healthy solid blue on the other.

I thought I could pull out the healthy drive and mount it into my Mac Intel Xeon in order to recover the data. But the drive was unreadable in the mac.

After returning the drive back to the Lacie 2Big Network housing, the drive will not power up at all. The only indication of any power that I get is when I plug it in, the green light at the ethernet jack flashes once and fades out within a second.

At this point I am considering buying a new Lacie 2Big and placing the old drives into it. But that seems a little risky.

Any ideas would be GREATLy appreciated.

Thanks,
Evan

evanparsons

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010

Yes, I believe so.

I will try that first step you mentioned in the last comment and get back to you.

Thank you!
Evan

evanparsons

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010

Hi Evongugg-

Is there a version of SystemRescueCD that will run on a Mac? I see that the the link you provided describes a .exe file, and I am unable to find a similar thing for Macs.

Unfortunately all I have is a Mac. Wish I had both.

Thanks,
Evan

evanparsons

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010

Hi Evongugg-

Thanks for these ideas, I have installed the ext3 drivers. I was happy to see the drive appear on my Mac Desktop. I'm very glad at this point to see that the data is there.

However, I'm seeing two drives that weight in at 7.5 megs and 167 megs. Originally, the Lacie 2Big Network was configured to RAID1 at 1 TB per drive. I can see the 930 Gig portion of the drive in Disk Utility, but it is greyed out.

I have posted two screen grabs of this on my FTP space, please see below.

http://www.evanparsons.com/lacie_troubleshooting/picture1.jpg
http://www.evanparsons.com/lacie_troubleshooting/picture2.jpg

Does seeing this give you any ideas?

I'm downloading Ubuntu now, which will take a good portion of today.

Thanks so much for the help so far.
Evan

evanparsons

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Hi Evongugg-

Sorry for all the newbie questions, I really appreciate all your help so far.

How do I run GParted?

I can't seem to find any files under that name in the Ubuntu file structure. I imagine I will need to put some command lines into terminal?

Thanks you,
Evan

evanparsons

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Hi Evongugg-

I have downloaded and burned GParted. When it was running from the CD, the graphics card was having trouble (displaying lots of colored lines, etc.), so it was hard to read this info, hopefully I got it all down right.

DEVICE INFO:

Model: Unknown
Size: 930.55 GiB
Path: /dev/md123pl
Partition Table: Loop

I also noticed some more info using disk utilities in OS X. I have posted a screen grab of the window here...

www.evanparsons.com/lacie_troubleshooting/disk_utilities.jpg

Is "FDisk_partition_scheme" the info we're looking for? I'm also seeing "Linux Native".

Thanks again!

Evan

We're missing the partition type, like ext2, ext3, ext4, reiserfs, etc.
If you could install Linux on a drive or partition, you could probably recover the data.
Yellow Dog Linux works on a lot of Mac systems.

http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/hardware/

EDINBURGH

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
I have exactly the same issue ( i.e. one working drive orphaned from the RAID1 pair from a Lacie 2Big Network NAS ) and I am following this thread awaiting any gurus who know how to access the EXT2 data. I too can connect the drive to my Mac.

evanparsons

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
I found out my buddy has the exact same Lacie 2big Network. I put my drives in his enclosure and was able to get it all working. It seems that the new enclosure even re-built the drive that had the red light flashing as well.

So I got all my data back, and will be building a new server out of a MAC, with two 2gb internal drives raided together.

THANKS for all the help Evongugg!!!

Evan