Sign in with
Your question

CPU Voltage & Temp Fluctuation - Help!

Last response: in CPUs
January 10, 2009 2:25:26 AM

Yesterday I built my first computer & today I installed a program called Core Temp. Core Temp is a CPU monitoring program freeware program I found

Currently the program is showing either of my two cores to fluctuate between 7*C and 14*C. In addition the VID (voltage?) is fluctuating between 1.2v and .9v. CPU load is running from 16% - 60%. This seems extremely low in terms of the temperature and I am not sure if the voltage fluctuation is normal.

Can anyone please give me some advice?

CPU = 5050e Brisbane
Motherboard = Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3HP
January 10, 2009 2:37:44 AM

it'a called Cool n' Quiet
a b à CPUs
January 10, 2009 2:40:33 AM

The core temp is wrong though. I know my 5400+ always reads around 2-3 C on my gigabyte board. Try other programs and look for the readouts TMPIN1, TMPIN2, TMPIN3. I believe one of tose is chipset, one is CPU, and one may be the power circuitry. I'd have to check again to be sure though.
Related resources
January 10, 2009 2:44:18 AM

EXT64 said:
The core temp is wrong though. I know my 5400+ always reads around 2-3 C on my gigabyte board. Try other programs and look for the readouts TMPIN1, TMPIN2, TMPIN3. I believe one of tose is chipset, one is CPU, and one may be the power circuitry. I'd have to check again to be sure though.

EXT64 can you tell me what you mean? This is honestly the first time I haven't bought a computer prebuilt so I am a complete novice. Break your statement down for a noob! :o 
a b à CPUs
January 10, 2009 2:51:35 AM

Yeah I'm sorry. The problem really is that I haven't looked at it in a while. I do remember that a lot of programs I used (such as PC Wizard) report the temp outrageously low. I then used another program (which I'll try to find for you in a little while) to get the TMPIN#'s. Then, by doing tests (like letting cool n quiet slow down the CPU) I deduced which was the CPU temp.

Oh, and just in case you don't know Cool n Quiet is AMD's way of saving power. When the CPU is not being used significantly it will drop the voltage down to around 1 volt and the clockspeed down to around 1 GHz (these vary depending on Processor). Hope that helps.
January 10, 2009 2:52:20 AM

Ok I now understand what the cool n quiet is. It's an AMD technology used to reduce heat and energy consumption. So that means the voltage fluctuation is safe. It now makes sense when the computer is idling it is running at .9V or 1000mhz then when the processor needs to load something it jumps to 1.2V or 2250mhz (approximately).

What I do want to find out though is the actual temps of the cores. I can't imaging they are running at 7*C, that's almost frozen!!
January 10, 2009 2:58:00 AM

EXT64 said:
Yeah I'm sorry. The problem really is that I haven't looked at it in a while. I do remember that a lot of programs I used (such as PC Wizard) report the temp outrageously low. I then used another program (which I'll try to find for you in a little while) to get the TMPIN#'s. Then, by doing tests (like letting cool n quiet slow down the CPU) I deduced which was the CPU temp.

Oh, and just in case you don't know Cool n Quiet is AMD's way of saving power. When the CPU is not being used significantly it will drop the voltage down to around 1 volt and the clockspeed down to around 1 GHz (these vary depending on Processor). Hope that helps.

Thanks for looking for the program for me. FYI the Gigabyte board chipset and processor I just installed is very similar to your HTPC. FYI I built myHTPC yesterday with the 5050e Brisbane and 780G board. Surprisingly it all worked right the very first time I hit the power button. I was quite amazed.
a b à CPUs
January 10, 2009 3:03:34 AM

Ok, here is a program that should work I think.

http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

List off what it gives you for the TMPIN#s.

To do a full test though, you will need a program to stress the CPU, such as prime95. That can wait though. You really should be fine with temps though if your case has decent ventilation (since that 5050e is very low power. I was waiting for that chip (or the 4850), but I got impatient and this 5400+ was really cheap.
a b à CPUs
January 10, 2009 3:05:36 AM

Well, for some reason CPUID's site isn't working for me. Do you have the AMD Overdrive program? It will give you the same #'s (I believe it is what I used). It should have come on your motherboard disk, or you can download it from AMD's website.
a b à CPUs
January 10, 2009 3:10:07 AM

If you get Overdrive running, go to status monitor => Voltage/Temperature. First it will list the incorrect CPU temps, then the TMPINs. I think CPU is one of the first two. If they are in the 30s or lower at idle, everything is good. The last (and really high) TMPIN is either defective or for something weird (like power circuitry). Your board may be newer or different though.

Edit: I'll probably sign off now since it's midnight here. I'll try to check in again in the morning, but we'll see what happens.
January 10, 2009 3:58:33 AM

For a long time I've noticed inaccurate temperature readings on the Brisbane and Phenom cores. They always err too low, never too high, but they seem to scale properly. Does it really matter? If it doesn't crash (Prime95/OCCT), and you're not applying excessive voltage, and the heatsink installation doesn't feel chilly-cold, you should be good to go.
January 10, 2009 2:15:48 PM

The title of this topic has been edited by Jake_Barnes
!