Sign in with
Your question

Did I delete my HDD cache?

Last response: in Storage
March 22, 2010 8:55:12 AM

Before you say no, read on.

I installed a hard drive that had Windows installed on it, and on the new computer when ever I tried to delete something in the Windows folder it said it was in use. (It should have been the Windows install I was using was on another drive).

But that isn't the problem.

So I figured if Windows won't let me delete it or format it, then I'll just format it before Windows loads. So I put in a Windows Install CD and used the partition creator to delete the existing partition, but I kept the defualt values.

It said the same number for both simiilar sized drives, so I assumed that was acceptable.

The screen said the cache will be set to 8MB.

I looked at the hard disk and it said the cache was 32MB.

Did I delete my cache and set it incorrectly?

More about : delete hdd cache

March 22, 2010 9:30:33 AM

Seeing the view counts go up but no replies posted. Guess google is crawling the same page :wahoo: 
m
l
a b G Storage
March 22, 2010 9:33:04 AM

No. I'm not sure what you did or exactly what messages your system gave, but the cache is part of the drive interface. You do not have direct access to it.
m
l
Related resources
March 22, 2010 9:43:20 AM

jsc said:
No. I'm not sure what you did or exactly what messages your system gave, but the cache is part of the drive interface. You do not have direct access to it.

I used an XP install CD to format the drive, and it came up with the settings that said something like 9300000MB partition and 8MB cache.

That's why I'm wondering if I changed it by doing that.
m
l
March 22, 2010 10:49:52 AM

XP has a weird behavior when you partition boot drives, wherein 8MB doesn't get allocated. (8MB just appears as unpartitioned space).

Maybe that's what it is saying as the 8MB cache.
m
l
a b G Storage
March 22, 2010 11:51:46 AM

as jsc was saying, the drive cache isn't something you can affect in any way, short of breaking the whole drive. It is memory (hardware, chips) that is part of the drive electronics.

"said something like 9300000MB partition and 8MB cache." - probably knowing the exact message would let us diagnose the issue.
m
l
March 23, 2010 6:58:29 AM

amnotanoobie said:
XP has a weird behavior when you partition boot drives, wherein 8MB doesn't get allocated. (8MB just appears as unpartitioned space).

Maybe that's what it is saying as the 8MB cache.

Yeah I was looking for an explanation on what that 8MB was, it said cache, so I assumed it was the HDD drive cache.

The only reason I was curious - I'm using 2 Sata HDD, and one IDE HDD. I noticed the more HDDs I crammed into that microatx case things seemed to run slower or there was this "lag" (fans/better heatsink got added too!). I was just thinking about all the things that might have caused it.
m
l
!