Artifacting Problem

mikecic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Playing new call of duty and what seems like artifacting keeps occuring. It looks like big smoke clouds in the distance but they keep popping up and re-occuring in places they shouldn't be. Very annoying when trying to play the game. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions...Tried different drivers including the new beta 180 and the old 178. Tried lowering the details etc. Also tried reinstalling directx and sli chipset for motherboard. I have the 9800 gx2 so I tried disabling sli and that didn't do anything. Overheating is not issue. I have no idea whats going on but it sucks. Any help!!!

Asus m2n32 590 sli, 9800 gx2 , amd x2 6000, 750W PSU, 4 gb ddr2.

Zecow

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
I got something similair - 4850 crossfire - water texture got artifacts.. tearing - its only on water though... other textures are fine. :(

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
There are many possible reasons.

1) If you overclocked, roll it back and see if it still artifacts. Oc, especially vram oc, tends to cause artifacting when pushed too far.

2) The card may be overheating. CoD4/CoD5 are highly optimized games, and stress gpu more fully than typical games. Monitor temperature. If it goes above 85C, temperature is likely the cause of your problems. Increase fan speed to keep it cool. Enabling vsync (capping fps to around 65) helps decrease load and heat.

Try stress the card to check stability/heat/artifacting.
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/
Use stability mode, default resolution, no AA.

3) Your nforce 590 motherboard is bugging out and introducing pcie corruption. Not much to do if that's the case.

4) Software problem in the game. Patching to latest version may help.