PSU, PCI-E Connectors

jessegibson

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
If my PSU has PCI-E connector I am assuming I can ignore the PCI-E to "3 or 4 Fat Pin" Cable that came with my Video Card for connecting to the PSU.

Hope that made sense. Probably a no brainer question. Just want to avoid any type of problems.

Yes that was a bit garbled but basically, if your card has the requirement to be connected to the power suplly with a 6pin PCIE connector and your psu already has one then thats what you use. The addaptor is bundled with the card in case you need 2 PCIE power leads like say a HD4870 does. Then if you dont have a second plug you can make one up from spare "Molex" (thats the fat four pin ones) connectors.

Mactronix :)

jessegibson

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Thanks for the reassurance and confirmation. Guess my PSU is a good one. It has all kinds of different connectors coming off of it. First DIY, PC Build. I'm just a little overly cautious right now.

And thanks for giving me the name "Molex" I was trying all day to find out what that connection type was called so I didn't sound completely ridiculous. :pt1cable:

Thanks again for the help.