Sign in with
Your question

Can't overclock anything on my ASUS Rampage II Gene

Last response: in Overclocking
February 6, 2010 8:38:14 AM

Hey :) 

I was wondering if anyone could help...

I have just bought an ASUS Rampage II Gene mobo with an i7 920, 6GB of Corsair XMS3 RAM (TR3X6G1600C9) and an ATI Radeon 5850 GPU. I installed everything and it all works perfectly, however as soon as I try to overclock anything the system becomes extremely unstable and usually doesn't get past the Windows 7 loading screen. I have tried looking at everything, updating the BIOS, making small changes, etc but no matter what I try I can't overclock anything. I have read through the mobo's manual cover to cover (I will admit that I don't completely understand everything) and even just tried changing the CPU Level UP or Memory Level Up but nothing works :( 

Just as an example, the ram I have says it runs at 1600MHz with 9-9-9-24 timings but I can't set either in the BIOS without the system becoming unstable.

Does anyone have any advice or things I might be missing? Overclocking isn't something I have looked into heavily so please be gentle :) 

Could it be a temperature problem? The values coming off the LCD poster are:

1 CPU - 41c
2 NB - 56c
3 SB - 59c
4 MB - 37c
5 OPT_1 - N/A
6 OPT_2 - N/A

These are idle temps.

I would appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks guys!

moz
a c 194 V Motherboard
a c 131 K Overclocking
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 6, 2010 2:45:01 PM

Those temps are a bit high....what kinda case are they in ?

Have you torture tested it at stock speeds ? Run OCCT ? Linx ? Prime95 ?

Did you select the XMP profile thereby boosting RAM speed to 1600 ? If so, put back to stock 1033 for now.

Have you run memtest ?

1. Run memtest at stock 1033 speed.

2. Drop CPU multiplier to 12 to eliminate CPU factors, then run memtest after increasing BCLK to 200...make sure CPU multiplier remains at 8

Related resources
February 9, 2010 2:31:07 PM

Hey thanks for getting back to me. Sorry it took me so long to reply.

It's a nasty steel thing...weighs a ton! I have my PC with me at work with the side off and there is not much change in temp.

I have never run any stress testing before but I installed OCCT and ran some of the tests just for 15 minutes to see what happened. None of the tests managed to last longer than about 2 or 3 minutes before it ends with "CPU Too Hot!" After looking at the images OCCT spits out it seems as though the CPU temp gradually increases to around 80ºC.

Everything is running with stock cooling, but even so...shouldn't it last longer than this??

I will be running memtest this afternoon to see what that can do.

Do you have any suggestions as to what might be wrong? Could it be the power supply maybe? I think I have a 580W PSU.

Thanks for your advice,
moz
February 11, 2010 7:10:19 AM

Hey...thanks for your replies.

I think I have managed to solve the problem. Very odd one it was too...

My colleague has exactly the same setup as me, identical CPU, RAM, motherboard and PSU. I borrowed his RAM (same as mine...3 sticks of TR3X6G1600C9), did the Memory Level Up so the RAM's speed was 1600MHz and the system booted fine. No crashes, no instability.

After a lot of head scratching we noticed that there are version numbers on the sticks. Mine are version 3.1 and his are version 9.1. This is the only thing I could find that was different with the RAM.

I have now started the RMA procedure with Corsair so hopefully they will replace the sticks as they aren't running at their advertised speeds.

Thanks for your help though guys!

moz
April 18, 2010 3:29:47 AM

mozthefox said:
Hey :) 

I was wondering if anyone could help...

I have just bought an ASUS Rampage II Gene mobo with an i7 920, 6GB of Corsair XMS3 RAM (TR3X6G1600C9) and an ATI Radeon 5850 GPU. I installed everything and it all works perfectly, however as soon as I try to overclock anything the system becomes extremely unstable and usually doesn't get past the Windows 7 loading screen. I have tried looking at everything, updating the BIOS, making small changes, etc but no matter what I try I can't overclock anything. I have read through the mobo's manual cover to cover (I will admit that I don't completely understand everything) and even just tried changing the CPU Level UP or Memory Level Up but nothing works :( 

Just as an example, the ram I have says it runs at 1600MHz with 9-9-9-24 timings but I can't set either in the BIOS without the system becoming unstable.

Does anyone have any advice or things I might be missing? Overclocking isn't something I have looked into heavily so please be gentle :) 

Could it be a temperature problem? The values coming off the LCD poster are:

1 CPU - 41c
2 NB - 56c
3 SB - 59c
4 MB - 37c
5 OPT_1 - N/A
6 OPT_2 - N/A

These are idle temps.

I would appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks guys!

moz

I have a similar set up Asus Rampage ii Gene I7 920 ocd to 3.6 with a corsair h50 cpu cooler (sounds like your ambient temps are warm mine are cpu 36, nb 51 ,sb 43, mb 25 ) cooler master haf 922 case with three 200mm fans and one 120mm on either side of the radiador push pull and 6gb of OCZ Gold PC 16000 2000mhz mem. the computer down grades mem spd by default. Mine is now running at 1714 and i'm in the process of trying to get my mem to run at 1866 with a cpu oc of 3.8ghz I got the cpu oc stable with prime95 but with the mem backed down to 1088mhz. We could pm back and forth and help one another if you like?
!