Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Best i7 motherboard?

Last response: in Motherboards
February 15, 2009 12:16:28 AM

Hello,
I'm building my first i7 rig soon and have been pondering on what motherboard to get for an Intel i7 920 (Nehalem)?
I was looking at the EVGA Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/Motherboards-Memory/n...).
I wanna try and spend less than or around $300 ($315 tops), so any suggestions?
In the future I may want to add a second GPU, but for now I am sticking with one, and I'll probably be overclocking a little just enough to add some performance accelleration but at a very stable clock.

More about : motherboard

a c 435 V Motherboard
February 15, 2009 8:13:42 AM

Newegg still has the gigabyte ud3r for $185 after rebate. No point in spending more unless you want to use 2 cards. Decide now, and save some $$$.
February 17, 2009 11:46:41 AM

Asus PT6 o PT6 Deluxe

I have the PT6 great value for a quality motherboard and its a great overclocking board.
Related resources
February 17, 2009 2:14:01 PM

I also have a P6T Deluxe, it's a fantastic board. Great BIOS, good features, great OC potential. EVGA has a great user community and great support, but I have not used that board. I would skip the Gigabyte-UD3R, the savings aren't worth it (IMHO)
February 17, 2009 11:58:01 PM

I was thinking of shelling out the extra 35$ and getting a P6T6 revolution. It's got some really good reviews and supposedly great OC potential.
February 18, 2009 2:58:56 AM

The Revolution is a beast. If you're willing to drop the dough on it, I doubt you'll find a better motherboard. It's the only board that has true 3 way SLI/CrossFire at 16x/16x/16x (has an extra Southbridge to provide the additional lanes). Let us know what you go with : )
February 24, 2009 4:16:24 PM

Can anyone recommend a good energy efficient power supply to power these i7 motherboards? I want to try to save on energy as much as possible.
a b V Motherboard
February 24, 2009 6:28:19 PM

The Corsair power supplies are excellent.
February 24, 2009 6:28:53 PM

Asus PT6 o PT6 Deluxe
February 24, 2009 6:29:32 PM

Yeah Corsairs are the best
February 24, 2009 11:08:24 PM

scrumhalf said:
The Revolution is a beast. If you're willing to drop the dough on it, I doubt you'll find a better motherboard. It's the only board that has true 3 way SLI/CrossFire at 16x/16x/16x (has an extra Southbridge to provide the additional lanes). Let us know what you go with : )

Decided to go with the P6T6 Revolution, unless the EVGA Classified comes out within the next to weeks.
February 25, 2009 1:42:44 PM

The P6T6 Revolution is the business! What video cards you throwing in that bad boy?
February 25, 2009 10:23:16 PM

scrumhalf said:
The P6T6 Revolution is the business! What video cards you throwing in that bad boy?

:lol:  I was just trying to decide on that lol. I thought about getting a GTX 260' but I really want to know the best bang for the buck really. ~300$ is what I'm up for spending. I'm up for any brand, and I just want the best performance.
:D 
February 26, 2009 1:41:47 PM

I've picked up the EVGA 260 (55nm Core 216), with the option to Step Up to a 285 within 90 days. If I don't decide to step up, I'll just pickup another 260 for SLI. You have the option of 3 way SLI with that board as well. The 260's are about $200 on NewEgg right now after rebate, and I think the GTX 285s are still in the $350 range.

What size monitor/resolution do you run?
February 26, 2009 3:17:19 PM

scrumhalf said:
I've picked up the EVGA 260 (55nm Core 216), with the option to Step Up to a 285 within 90 days. If I don't decide to step up, I'll just pickup another 260 for SLI. You have the option of 3 way SLI with that board as well. The 260's are about $200 on NewEgg right now after rebate, and I think the GTX 285s are still in the $350 range.

I have an HP 22'' monitor running at 1680x1050.
February 26, 2009 5:47:36 PM

260's have 896MB memory, that is plenty for running 1680x1050 with all the bells and whistles.
February 26, 2009 8:55:02 PM

what about GIGABYTE GA-EX58-EXTREME ???? it's fantastic motherboard

please give me yours Views
February 27, 2009 2:11:27 AM

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-EXTREME does not have 3 true way sli.
But yeah, Ill get a GTX 260 now, and one later.
February 28, 2009 4:50:23 AM

radiowars said:
Hello,
I'm building my first i7 rig soon and have been pondering on what motherboard to get for an Intel i7 920 (Nehalem)?
I was looking at the EVGA Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/Motherboards-Memory/n...).
I wanna try and spend less than or around $300 ($315 tops), so any suggestions?
In the future I may want to add a second GPU, but for now I am sticking with one, and I'll probably be overclocking a little just enough to add some performance accelleration but at a very stable clock.

The EVGA board is very good, or the Asus P6T Deluxe V2 board is another good one. To save on costs try to order from an online shop out of your state to save on tax, that'll help you slightly. But both boards I mention are very good without being over the top. Personally I have the Asus P6T Deluxe V2.
March 1, 2009 8:40:48 PM

i thin that Intel's DX58SO is the with the best of its class
March 2, 2009 12:08:11 AM

what about MSI Eclipse??
March 2, 2009 2:42:47 AM

chad_69 said:
Asus PT6 o PT6 Deluxe

I have the PT6 great value for a quality motherboard and its a great overclocking board.

I have the same board. Are you running 12 gigs, and if so, does the bios see all 12gigs?

Thanks.
March 2, 2009 2:44:55 AM

zagitt said:
what about MSI Eclipse??

Reviews not good on OC for eclips.
March 2, 2009 12:16:36 PM

SAMSUNGANTE said:
i thin that Intel's DX58SO is the with the best of its class

The Intel boards are lacking in overclocking options, and have poor BIOS support. And I'd stay away from the MSI Eclipse, go with Asus, EVGA, or Gigabyte. Those are the proven top boards right now.
March 2, 2009 1:55:56 PM

that's what I though... Apparently, the p6t deluxe is the best mobo right one (price, reliability, oc, etc)...
March 3, 2009 3:32:27 PM

The EVGA X58 is a very good motherboard. I built my system with it and it performs smoothly. I like the 'G' bios, even though new bios are being brought to light to further fine toon this architecture . I had visited many sites researching core i7 motherboard prior my purchase. Asus is good, but EVGA tech help and knowledgeable forum are tops. I had considered Gigabyte, but many users having problems and poor tech help. BTW, as someone posted the x58 not a true tri sli, it does allow use of 3 video cards. Slot 1&2 are 16 and slot 3 is 8, I believe most i7 enthusiast boards are at this time.
March 3, 2009 3:56:58 PM

apparently the x58 are 16/8/8 or 16/16/1... by the end of Q3 2009 will see more variety and more enhances if not early. By the way, any suggestions on a good ddr3 memory that doesn't break the wallet. I checked the corsairs and ocz, but their prices are just a bit high - well you get what you paid for though - but can't find a reliable and cheaper option. any clues?
March 3, 2009 6:10:09 PM

The P6T6 Revolution is one of the few boards that offers true 3 way SLI. It has an additional Southbridge (nForce 200) to give it the extra lanes for full 16/16/16, as stated above.

Good, cheap DDR3? 6GB OCZ Platinum 1600 (7-7-7-24) for $129 - $10 rebate.
March 15, 2009 1:20:34 AM

How does the ASUS Revolution compare to the ASUS Rampage II in every aspect?
September 5, 2009 8:03:56 AM

scrumhalf said:

Your better off with the GTX 275's, much better than the 260 and cheaper than the 285's with a very little befromance difference between the two. Expect tp pay about 250 to 300 for it.
Poppawoof
September 30, 2009 1:45:01 AM

I was looking at the EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 and was wondering how much it really mattered that all of the pci slots are x16. I do plan on having 2 GPUs but my question is what are the drawbacks to having one pci x16 and x8.
September 30, 2009 10:12:51 AM

I have been out of the loop for a little over a year now and I was wondering what i7 socket should i get... Any help/recommendations would be great.
November 29, 2009 9:06:44 PM

ASUS P6T DELUXE or ASUS RAMPAGE II EXTREME these 2 r the best if ur looking for a low budget one then p6t is ur option if u dont care u want a monster in ur chassis get the RAMPAGE II EXTREME any other of these 2 will be a waist of money and believe me intel make boards just to demonstrate the new chipset just like other companies get the chipset and do nothing when asus mainstream board r on high steroids & the tests all over the forums shows that its up to u t.c all bye bye.
November 29, 2009 11:14:45 PM

cherie22984 said:
I have been out of the loop for a little over a year now and I was wondering what i7 socket should i get... Any help/recommendations would be great.

Trying to hijack the forum I see. Lol.
December 2, 2009 5:19:03 PM

what about the RAMPAGE II GENE PEOPLE!???
December 12, 2009 12:54:15 AM

ASUS mobos eats up your RAM. If you put in 4GB, the BIOS only shows 3GB. If you put in 6GB, only 4.5GB shows up in the BIOS. Stay away from the low end ASUS mobos. :heink: 
December 16, 2009 5:55:51 PM

i got a rampage II gene hope it will be good enough and future proof..
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 12, 2010 6:40:43 PM

Intel x58 boards are garbage.... poor bios, and they will n ot run pcie cards well. UAD audio has redflagged all Intel x58 baords, due to poor voltage rails and pcie 1 compatibility.
MSI cooling sucks, if your OC'd, say goodbye to proc life.
ASUS eats up your RAM, and support SUCKS..
Gigabyte is the lesser of all evils in my book. SATA3,USB3 and a raid option for the two esata ports on the mobo. Support is fast too. Only drawback is the SLI. Ton of copper for oc'ing though.
April 6, 2010 9:50:16 PM

you can get a asus rampage extreme ii on ebay for 220 bucks rite nao, i'd say that's the best buy
April 7, 2010 12:29:19 AM

To bring this thread back to life, rather than starting a new one. Has anything changed since many of these replies?

I'm going to get a 1366 motherboard and am looking for recomendations, it will be running a 930, for mainly game oriented use and tripple monitors, but also some video encoding and a fair amount of photoshopping.

1. Stable overclock reputation, looking for 4ghz+, friendly and versatile bios, good heatsinks on n/sbridge, mosfets etc, room for big HSF (keeping temps in the house under 78F (26C) during summer is rather costly round here so effective cooling is really important for me, especially with a pair of big gpus jammed in there)

2. Crossfire (2x5870s - already have) and SLi support (in case ATI never get eyefinity and crossfire working properly), so 16x 16x at least maybe even another x16 or x8, enough space between PCIe slots, general layout of other things that might be effected etc.

3. Not overly concerned about usb 3 and sata 6 unless someone can convince me otherwise.

4. No need for any legacy connections, but need one PCi slot available with 2 gpus in there.

5. Less 350 bucks, even lower if i can, really like to be able to get in the around the 200-250 mark if possible.

Overall i'm thinking one of the PT6 boards or UD5/6/7 (not sure which one would be best) or EVGA 757/8, but would be interested to see if there is something else worth a look. Of course I'd like a classified or alike that but if 'she who must be obeyed' ever saw the receipt i just may not live through the night...bad enough getting 2 5870s... :pfff: 

Thanks in adavance

Bonus question:
If someone could explain the digital power phase requirements, whats good and why and whats not, that would be great. Just can't seem to find that info...
January 27, 2011 3:17:40 AM

As a computer technician I recommend Intel Motherboards I don't know what model is just ask Intel Corporation or look for Intels
limited motherboard. Because Intel doesn't release complete specs of their motherboard it's because they made also processors not like Asus, Asrock, etc. they release full specs in their motherboard because they do not made processors.
And only intel knows whats the best for their processor because they made it. Just check the capability and compatibility of the board don't just buy it because you know it's intel.

Asus motherboards is good but only in the beginning. Most of this motherboard will experience lose contact especially asus sata data cable doesn't have clip that's why hard disk will experience bad sector or media storage error. Front panel USB hubs have less power and it can damage USB sticks. If this happen buy original Power Supply with bigger wattage, bigger ampere for 5 volts. Most asus damage is their bridge IC. If the bridge IC is damage the board is useless.

If you plan to buy cheap motherboard buy ASROCK. Asrock is better than Asus. I am using Asrock and it is almost 8 years but nothing happen. Only the system battery is changed. I experience less problem like capacitor leak but it can be replaceable. That's why Asrock is better than Asus.

If you experience lose Memory like you put a 4gb ram but only 3gb is registered it depends in your OS version. XP has a limited maximum memory. If you are using Windos 7 ultimate and the memory is still not complete use 64bit Windows 7.
February 4, 2011 7:11:31 PM

b4ckdoor...FYI

I am a BSEE, into computers for over 35 yrs - the first one I had was an ALTAIR 8800 from MITS, where Bill Gates used to work.

I also fix PC computers now - and I have never seen Intel H/W that was better, IMHO, than Asus or Gigabyte or even ABit when they were going... All board designs take the MFG reference design and expand that, so that in the critical areas they are basically identical. It is what is added that makes the difference.
HOWEVER, the drivers may be better for reducing DPCs. The biggest issue is with video drivers and most Intel boards are integrated. That apparently is easier to deal with. When you plug in a video card, then you have issues.

HP just got nVidia to fix a driver for me on my Elitebook laptop and the DPCs are within spec now. Maybe they will carry that into their other driver releases.

As for the USB stick damage:
1. LESS power will not damage a device. Higher voltage will.
2. a bigger PSU will not change the USB 2.0, 500ma max limit to the port.

The bridge IC damage could very well be due to inadequate HSF on the device. I have a Gigabyte board that was running close to 100°C with the stock HSF. Replacing that brought it down to 45°C. Considering that the sizing of the HSF is based on information from the MFG, Intel, where would you lay blame?

If it is easier to replace caps on an ASRock MB then it is because the board has less layers. A MB with less layers will also be more unstable due to electrical noise and signal crosstalk because there is less shielding. I have replaced caps on 6 layer boards - it does take more skill than a single layer board - though no MB is a single layer - more like 4 layer.

As for RAM - W7 Ultimate and XP have nothing to do with the issue. It is strictly 32bit vs 64bit. 32 bits can only count to 4GB. I/O ports and other addressable memory (graphics, PCI, etc.) need memory space and typically take up memory addresses from the top down. Therefore after you deduct those memory addresses, what is left is what is reported as "usable" RAM.

If you could put 16EB into a 64bit system, all of it would not be "usable" RAM for the same reason. read this

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/clearing-up-the-3264...
August 14, 2011 5:34:51 AM

Does the P6t deluxe except a powerful psu? My current motherboard won't accept a psu above 500W and now all the parts I've bought to upgrade my PC are useless because I can't install my tx750 V2 because my motherboard won't except it. Damn truckee!
January 23, 2012 10:56:21 PM

I can also add some recent build experiences:

Built a Q6700 quad-based system a little while ago (still a great little CPU) and used a Gigabyte board (EP43-UD3L) mainly for price / features.
I was quite impressed with the quality, and features of the board (durability, dual bios, OC tuning and HW monitoring tools). System has performed flawlessly for 2.5 years now.

I am currently building an i7-940 (1366 socket) based system, and just had to RMA the MSI x58A-GD45 board back to Tiger. I decided to get the EVGA (131-GT-E767-TR X58) instead of getting a replacement MSI board.

I was not impressed with the MSI board, not only because it arrived with 1 dead memory channel, but the BIOS felt clunky, getting 6GB Sata setup was a pain, and there was no monitoring or tuning software provided.

I have yet to see whether the EVGA will be better. Would have gone with Gigabyte again without second thought, but could not find required specs available currently (Triple channel 1600 Mhz Memory, 6Gb Sata, 1366 socket). Will report later on the EVGA...

On 6Gb Sata question, so long as you get a 6Gb capable drive (e.g Barracuda 1Tb / 32 Mb Cache), then doubling disk transfers speeds has got to be a major system performance booster. Especially given that disk performance is so critical to overall performance, IMO.
a b V Motherboard
January 24, 2012 12:52:22 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!