HDTV help needed

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
April 27, 2005 4:38:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

Hey, I just got a Sharp 26" 26AG5U (or something like that) and traded up my
regular box for an HDTV box with Time Warner. The problem is that now that
I use the component cables to get my signal, and I'm on input 1 of the TV,
normal 4:3 TV (99% of my TV watching) is always displayed with gray bars on
the side, whereas on the cable setting, I could stretch out the 4:3 image to
fill the entire screen. Unfortunately, the cable wire on the HD box seems
to be disabled. Does anyone know if there is another LCD TV similar to mine
that allows image stretching on an Input signal? Thanks for your help.

More about : hdtv needed

Anonymous
April 27, 2005 11:36:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

I also have TWC...and depending upon which "box" you've got, there are
settings that will automatically stretch all 4:3 to 16:9. I have a Motorola
6200, and I leave my 55" Mitsubishi on the DTV input all the time. There is
a menu within the Motorola's set-up that tells it that the output should be
16:9. Also...the set itself has several alternative "stretch" or "expand"
options. There should be a workable combination of settings between the box
and your Sharp set.

I'm in Houston on TWC...let me know if you're in this area and we can talk.
Otherwise, try and find a TWC customer service rep that really understands
the box(es) they use in your area.

"John" <ijh.abtaerstpoasm@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hey, I just got a Sharp 26" 26AG5U (or something like that) and traded up
> my regular box for an HDTV box with Time Warner. The problem is that now
> that I use the component cables to get my signal, and I'm on input 1 of
> the TV, normal 4:3 TV (99% of my TV watching) is always displayed with
> gray bars on the side, whereas on the cable setting, I could stretch out
> the 4:3 image to fill the entire screen. Unfortunately, the cable wire on
> the HD box seems to be disabled. Does anyone know if there is another LCD
> TV similar to mine that allows image stretching on an Input signal?
> Thanks for your help.

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 1:23:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

"John" <ijh.abtaerstpoasm@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hey, I just got a Sharp 26" 26AG5U (or something like that) and traded up
my
> regular box for an HDTV box with Time Warner. The problem is that now
that
> I use the component cables to get my signal, and I'm on input 1 of the TV,
> normal 4:3 TV (99% of my TV watching) is always displayed with gray bars
on
> the side, whereas on the cable setting, I could stretch out the 4:3 image
> fill the entire screen. Unfortunately, the cable wire on the HD box seems
> to be disabled. Does anyone know if there is another LCD TV similar to
mine
> that allows image stretching on an Input signal? Thanks for your help.

I can't answer your question but I hope you could learn to live with the
gray bars.

No disrespect intended to you, but without the gray bars on 4:3 , you are
viewing a
distorted version the image. I personally dislike "fun-house mirror" images
of all short,
fat people and I won't select them, just because it gets all the pixels
brightly flashing.

Not a great analogy, but here goes: You don't always set the volume up
full, do you?
Related resources
April 28, 2005 12:54:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

Hey, thanks for the help - it turns out that this can be resolved from menu
options on the Scientific Atlanta box (it's an 8000HD). Before turning it
on in the menu, all the different stretching options were disabled on the TV
unit itself, but changing it through the box's menu seems to reactivate the
TV-based adjustments.

Also, to the other poster, yeah, I would tend to agree about viewing a
program in its true proportions, but the options on this TV and friends'
sets seem to do a pretty good job of stretching the picture without
distorting it too much. Plus, I figure I've got all the extra space on the
side, so why not make use of it. The most annoying thing before I figured
out how to stretch the 4:3 image was that, on normal TV channels, more and
more commercials are being shown in widescreen, so that the image would show
up on the TV as a little box in the center of the screen. Not that viewing
commercials is all that terribly important, mind you, but anyway, I digress.

"Weekend Guru" <HD Guru@nospam.net> wrote in message
>I also have TWC...and depending upon which "box" you've got, there are
>settings that will automatically stretch all 4:3 to 16:9. I have a
>Motorola 6200, and I leave my 55" Mitsubishi on the DTV input all the time.
>There is a menu within the Motorola's set-up that tells it that the output
>should be 16:9. Also...the set itself has several alternative "stretch" or
>"expand" options. There should be a workable combination of settings
>between the box and your Sharp set.
>
> I'm in Houston on TWC...let me know if you're in this area and we can
> talk. Otherwise, try and find a TWC customer service rep that really
> understands the box(es) they use in your area.

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 4:57:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

Check with TW and see if they have any newer converter boxes. We are up to
the 8300HD in Memphis area. Won't affect your original problem, but you
might as well have the latest & greatest!

--

April 29, 2005 12:26:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

Thanks for the tip - is there any perceivable difference between the two
boxes? I know my friend had a SA 8000 DVR (non-HD version) that broke down
and he had it replaced with what I assume was an 8300 or another newer box,
the main difference he said was that it had a bigger hard drive. This one
(the 8000HD I have) holds 90 hours of standard programming and 20 or 30
hours of HD, which is a lot more space than the non-HD 8000. Anyway, I'd be
curious to know the difference if I were to upgrade - because it would mean
I would have to haul this box downtown to the Time Warner center (I live in
NYC) and replace it with the newer one. Thanks,

John

"jetjock" <jetjock@hanger.> wrote in message

> Check with TW and see if they have any newer converter boxes. We are up to
> the 8300HD in Memphis area. Won't affect your original problem, but you
> might as well have the latest & greatest!
>
> On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 08:54:04 GMT, "John" <ijh.abtaerstpoasm@verizon.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Hey, thanks for the help - it turns out that this can be resolved from
>>menu
>>options on the Scientific Atlanta box (it's an 8000HD). Before turning it
>>on in the menu, all the different stretching options were disabled on the
>>TV
>>unit itself, but changing it through the box's menu seems to reactivate
>>the
>>TV-based adjustments.
>>
>>Also, to the other poster, yeah, I would tend to agree about viewing a
>>program in its true proportions, but the options on this TV and friends'
>>sets seem to do a pretty good job of stretching the picture without
>>distorting it too much. Plus, I figure I've got all the extra space on
>>the
>>side, so why not make use of it. The most annoying thing before I figured
>>out how to stretch the 4:3 image was that, on normal TV channels, more and
>>more commercials are being shown in widescreen, so that the image would
>>show
>>up on the TV as a little box in the center of the screen. Not that
>>viewing
>>commercials is all that terribly important, mind you, but anyway, I
>>digress.
>>
>>"Weekend Guru" <HD Guru@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>>I also have TWC...and depending upon which "box" you've got, there are
>>>settings that will automatically stretch all 4:3 to 16:9. I have a
>>>Motorola 6200, and I leave my 55" Mitsubishi on the DTV input all the
>>>time.
>>>There is a menu within the Motorola's set-up that tells it that the
>>>output
>>>should be 16:9. Also...the set itself has several alternative "stretch"
>>>or
>>>"expand" options. There should be a workable combination of settings
>>>between the box and your Sharp set.
>>>
>>> I'm in Houston on TWC...let me know if you're in this area and we can
>>> talk. Otherwise, try and find a TWC customer service rep that really
>>> understands the box(es) they use in your area.
>>>

> --

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 4:00:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

I don't think there is any major difference in the boxes. Check out:
http://www.scientificatlanta.com/explorerclub/default.a... for user manuals
on the different models.

--

!