Sign in with
Your question

DVD drive can read all disks except for when I try to install games

Last response: in Storage
March 22, 2010 10:31:37 AM

Background: I have a Windows 7 64-bit machine that I built about a year ago, including this DVD drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Here's the problem in a nutshell: my DVD drive works perfectly with every CD/DVD I put in except for when I try to install a game. I can boot from my Windows 7 disc, I can rip or burn music CDs, I can watch DVD movies, but any time I put a game DVD in to install it the drive spins and makes that "brrrt" sound over and over (I am really getting sick of that sound). It will sometimes recognize the disk, I can see it in the Computer folder next to the other drives, and sometimes it will even autorun but it never works for very long.

I have tried to install Batman:Arkham Asylum, Dragon Age:o rigins, and Left for Dead 2 (all store-bought, nothing pirated). All of these DVDs install perfectly on my old Windows XP machine, so it seems that the discs are all in working order.

According to Windows, this drive is listed as "Compatible" and "This product installs automatically without extra software."
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-...

Anyone have any ideas?
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
March 22, 2010 2:01:28 PM

You can install Left 4 Dead 2 directly through Steam.
No disk required.

Still, your issue is quite odd.
Perhaps try turning off autorun and manually starting the installer?
Are you loged in with an admin account or a limited user?
m
l
March 22, 2010 7:13:45 PM

I am logged in as an administrator.

I tried manually starting the installer, when I browse the contents of the disc it does the same thing, spins and goes "brrt" and I see the list of items on the disc but if I try to select them or do anything with them I get the spinning blue circle, which I guess is the Win7 version of the hourglass. I was trying to copy the contents to my hard drive when I noticed this, I can't even select the files in order to drag and drop them to C:.

Is there some sort of DRM issue that I need to fix? Or are there different types of DVD? Maybe these game DVDs are dual-layer or something (I don't know much about the different DVD media).
m
l
!