SATA II operating in IDE mode

paulbike

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
I have just bought a new Cyberpower i5 computer with P55M-UD2gigabyte motherboard and SATA II drive. It is operating in IDE mode and Cyberpower says that a) this makes no difference in performance; b) if I change the settings in the BIOS to ACHI to take advantage of SATA II speed, I will have to reinstall the OS (windows 7) and it may revert back causing me to have to once again wipe and reinstall the OS; c) if I don't want to have to reinstall the OS, I can insert a reg file into the registry and hope for best, which means that I may have to keep trying things to get it to work properly. My level of expertise makes this an impossible option.

I play no games; do no video or music editing; no heavy number crunching. Basically, this is a business computer with a trading program and 15 or so Firefox windows open. Can someone comment on 1) whether or not switching would improve performance; 2) if so, where/when would I most likely notice it; 3) is there a simplier/safer way to accomplish the changeover?

This is my only computer and I use it for trading every day so it's worse for me to be without it than to have it run slightly slower. I will probably not think it's worth doing if I end up having to resinstall the OS and redo all the changes and settings and reinstall all the programs, etc. Thanks so much
Paul

IDE mode is primarily there for compatibility with legacy operating systems. However, it also has the neat side-effect of disabling command queueing on drives that support it. This, as mentioned above, can boost performance.

How to enable AHCI in Windows 7 RC after installation

http://www.ithinkdiff.com/how-to-enable-ahci-in-windows-7-rc-after-installation/

I wouldn't do it if Cyberpower says it will cause problems.