Combination of raid and non raid with gigabyte ga-ep45

I'm a novice to the raid system. I building a new gigabyte system and need to know if I can (or should), run for example a 250 gig primary drive and a set of 750 gig's set in a raid 0 configuration. the 250 would house my OS, and the pair of 750's to hold music, photos and media. is this possiable? i feel this would best cover my use and expetations. I also dont understand the Purple GSATA connections. These I assume are a secondary controller? the manual is not very specific on their use. Thanks, Novice.
2 answers Last reply
More about combination raid raid gigabyte ep45
  1. It can definitely be done, but do it before installing the OS. The purple connectors are for the Gigabyte SATA controller. I use them for eSATA.
  2. Mind you - this is pretty much all a matter of opinion... Here's the difference between the two: RAID0 spreads your data across multiple drives, ONCE; it is not replicated - the advantage is that the disk controller can read and write two channels (at least) simultaneously; RAID1 duplicates your data on two drives; the controller can still read from two channels, but writes are normal speed, as it must write to both drives together... What I use it for: I keep my system (boot) partitions on a RAID0 pair (of VRs), and my swap partition on a separate RAID0 pair (of VRs); my system partitions are not changed that often, and, when I'm particularly 'happy' with a complex install, I image the boot partition(s) to a seperate T-and-a-half backup drive; then, if I lose a RAID0 pair (which is possible, though, knock on wood, I haven't done it yet), restoration is no big deal; this allows the system, loading programs, etc., to use four disk channels at the same time, which makes it 'fly'; I keep all my data (from ALL OSs) on a RAID1 pair (of RE3s), where they're automatically backed up by each other - that has been trashed (mostly by errant installs of (I think, Elbonian) software (this is a development system - I use a lot of complex tools that are prone to disasters) numerous times - what has happened is the Intel Matrix Manager has informed me that my RAID1 has a problem, and then fiddles around in the background while it rebuilds the array - placing my data at no risk...
Ask a new question

Read More

Gigabyte NAS / RAID Motherboards