My Computer

The view in the "My Computer" window has changed to thumbnail view, and I
can't restore it to its original layout. I can change it to the usual folder
views i.e. List, Tiles, Titles, Details etc. but not to how it was as
default. I had this problem before and I was kindly directed to a tool which
I was able to use to correct this, but I have since lost the link. If anyone
knows how to find this tool, or has another solution, I would greatly
appreciate it.
4 answers Last reply
More about computer

    Turn on show in groups.

    "Leon10" <Leon10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E1409F93-A453-4D53-A757-B3F74DEC1AEB@microsoft.com...
    > The view in the "My Computer" window has changed to thumbnail view, and I
    > can't restore it to its original layout. I can change it to the usual folder
    > views i.e. List, Tiles, Titles, Details etc. but not to how it was as
    > default. I had this problem before and I was kindly directed to a tool which
    > I was able to use to correct this, but I have since lost the link. If anyone
    > knows how to find this tool, or has another solution, I would greatly
    > appreciate it.

    This does not work, it seperates each of the icons i.e. shared folders, C
    Drive, G Drive, Floppy Drive etc. and marks each one with a letter:- D, L, M,
    R, S, V and Other.

    "David Candy" wrote:

    > Turn on show in groups.

    > "Leon10" <Leon10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E1409F93-A453-4D53-A757-B3F74DEC1AEB@microsoft.com...
    > > The view in the "My Computer" window has changed to thumbnail view, and I
    > > can't restore it to its original layout. I can change it to the usual folder
    > > views i.e. List, Tiles, Titles, Details etc. but not to how it was as
    > > default. I had this problem before and I was kindly directed to a tool which
    > > I was able to use to correct this, but I have since lost the link. If anyone
    > > knows how to find this tool, or has another solution, I would greatly
    > > appreciate it.

    I don't know whether in the 'my computer' toolbar (along the top of the my
    computer window), 'tools>folder options' might do the trick, if you can find
    the right options here, or maybe even restore defaults? I am no expert so
    try at your own risk!!

    "Leon10" wrote:

    > This does not work, it seperates each of the icons i.e. shared folders, C
    > Drive, G Drive, Floppy Drive etc. and marks each one with a letter:- D, L, M,
    > R, S, V and Other.
    >
    > "David Candy" wrote:
    >
    > > Turn on show in groups.
    > >
    > > --
    > > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > > http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
    > > "Leon10" <Leon10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E1409F93-A453-4D53-A757-B3F74DEC1AEB@microsoft.com...
    > > > The view in the "My Computer" window has changed to thumbnail view, and I
    > > > can't restore it to its original layout. I can change it to the usual folder
    > > > views i.e. List, Tiles, Titles, Details etc. but not to how it was as
    > > > default. I had this problem before and I was kindly directed to a tool which
    > > > I was able to use to correct this, but I have since lost the link. If anyone
    > > > knows how to find this tool, or has another solution, I would greatly
    > > > appreciate it.

  4. I had the same issue with the "My Computer" folder format changing (the categories just disappeared). It was solved by right-clicking> arrange icons by > selecting "Type" and "Show in Groups." I tried everything before that but the trick seemed to be selecting both "type" and "show in groups," instead of choosing one or the other.

Computers Microsoft Windows XP