Nero cooler
Sapphire 4870 1gb
6gb DDR3 1333 Corsair XMS3 RAM
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640gb HD
Sony DVD drive
Antec 1200 case
Be Quiet! 750w Dark PowerPro PSU
LG Flatron W2252TQ monitor

I haven't insalled any software yet inc. OS (Vista 64) and drivers. OS is an OEM so not keen to install untill I know I don't need a new mobo.

So when I had finished building (I wore an anti static wrist strap) the computer would't boot or even POST.

After trying several things I removed all but one stick of RAM and it booted. I tried 2. It booted. I tried 3 sticks again and it fails to boot. I swapped the RAM around and tried them all indervidually and they all work. its just when I try to run 3 sticks in triple channel that the system doesn't work.

I installed the RAM in the 1,3 and 5 slots like the mobo manual suggests.

Do I need to install Vista 64 before my mobo can boot with 6gb of RAM in ttriple Channle mode?
Do I need to update the BIOS to handle the triple channel memory? It BIOS version F3 currently.
Do I need to change a BIOS setting before tripple channel will work?
Should I install the RAM in slots 2,4 and 6? What effect will this have?
Is my motherboard broken?

Any help or suggestions on this would be amazing.
a c 128 } Memory
February 15, 2009 3:25:23 PM

Check the corsair memory specs for voltage. Use the 2 slots that work; when you post, enter the bios and set the memory voltage higher only if it's required. I don't know what your memory voltage requirement is, but it should be listed at corsair or newegg's website somewhere. Read the gigabyte manual again and see if you missed something. If necessary, you can run with 2 sticks and install windows, then run memtest to see if you have one bad stick or a bad memory slot. Work slowly installing and uninstalling memory to prevent damaging a memory slot.
February 15, 2009 5:51:41 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.

I just checked on corsairs site and it says Vdimm= 1.50V

Is this the voltage in question? I haven't been back home to check my bios yet.
Related resources
February 15, 2009 6:52:26 PM

Hi there

I have a similar problem, same processor and motherboard but the Corsair memory is the 1600 version (3x2G)

I tried upping the voltage as suggested but still the same problem. As the 1600 memory is supposed to run at 1.65v, I upped it to 1.7v without any change.

My board will start up with 2 sticks of ram in either slot 1 and 3 or slots 3 and 5. Like yourself, I have read the manual on where the memory should be and also tried it in the other slots but it will not boot.

Do you get about 6 seconds worth of continious short bleeps when it will not boot? Assuming that you have fitted the little speaker that came with the board?

I have instaled my OS and it is currently showing 2Gig of Ram although there are 2 of 2G sticks firred.

Any help or other suggestions would be appreciated...

Thanks
February 15, 2009 6:56:18 PM

Sorry, forgot to mention, I have also updated the BIOS to the latest version F4 and this made no difference also.
February 15, 2009 7:00:22 PM

Hi wotnot.

1.7V on an i7? isn't the recormended max on the i7 1.65V

Sadley my mobo and case didn't have speakers with them so no beeps.

I know the manual tells you what the beeps signify though. Again not home yet so can't check.

I think Ive seen stuff about not counting all of the fitted RAM whilst I was googling this.

If you find out more please post back here and let us/me know the score!
February 15, 2009 11:07:27 PM

Hi again, spent a few hours on it now, various suggestions found and tried although none succesful;
2 different versions of removing the memory and clearing the cmos, revert to old BIOS etc
Moving the CPU around and checking and straightening the pins for the CPU.
Currently got bios version F4 with memory in slots 1, 5 and 6, showing 6Gig in the OS. I am not sure if these are working correctly though?
Just sent an email to Gigabyte, will see if they get back to me??
February 16, 2009 9:14:21 AM

I've tried all of the different slots (apart from 2 which is hidden under the heat sink).

If there is anything in 5 then the system won't post. If its in 6 then it'll post but won't register the ram as being present!

Don't want to install windeos as its OEM 1 licence.....

I guess Channel C if broken.

I think that its a case of RMA for me.....

Wotnot. You tried running memtest86+ to checkyour ram http://www.memtest.org/
a b } Memory
February 16, 2009 8:25:24 PM

grandad1982 said:
So I just built my new PC (first time)!

The specs are:
i7 920
GA-EX58-DS4 mobo
Nero cooler
Sapphire 4870 1gb
6gb DDR3 1333 Corsair XMS3 RAM
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640gb HD
Sony DVD drive
Antec 1200 case
Be Quiet! 750w Dark PowerPro PSU
LG Flatron W2252TQ monitor

I haven't insalled any software yet inc. OS (Vista 64) and drivers. OS is an OEM so not keen to install untill I know I don't need a new mobo.

So when I had finished building (I wore an anti static wrist strap) the computer would't boot or even POST.

After trying several things I removed all but one stick of RAM and it booted. I tried 2. It booted. I tried 3 sticks again and it fails to boot. I swapped the RAM around and tried them all indervidually and they all work. its just when I try to run 3 sticks in triple channel that the system doesn't work.

I installed the RAM in the 1,3 and 5 slots like the mobo manual suggests.

Do I need to install Vista 64 before my mobo can boot with 6gb of RAM in ttriple Channle mode?
Do I need to update the BIOS to handle the triple channel memory? It BIOS version F3 currently.
Do I need to change a BIOS setting before tripple channel will work?
Should I install the RAM in slots 2,4 and 6? What effect will this have?
Is my motherboard broken?

Any help or suggestions on this would be amazing.

I don't know how they numbered the slots, but it was probably 0-2-4 and 1-3-5. At any rate, you need to use the SECOND slot away from the CPU, then the FOURTH slot away from the CPU, and finally the LAST (SIXTH) slot, for the first three DIMM's.
February 16, 2009 8:45:38 PM

Hi again all

Just to update you on my fix for the problem;
I spoke to my supplier and took the mother board back to them to check out, they used a riser card with diagnostics which said there was a problem with reading the cache for one of the memory channels or something along them lines, I can't remember the exact words. They agreed with me and changed the board but as they did not have any of the same model left to exchange I ended up with the GA-EX58-UD5.

All up and running and it is flying, I didn't think it was possible to install OS that fast!......(oh, and while I was at the shop, I got another 6gig of memory so it now has 12gig)

One observation we did find was that on the back of the board in the top right corner (near the memory) it did seem like there was some sort of sticky deposit, I definitely have note exposed it to any contamination. This may be a red herring or could be a contributory factor to the fault?
My supplier has sold around 10 of the board so far and this is the only one they have seen with a fault so far.

Hope this helps if anybody else is struggling?
February 17, 2009 11:35:30 AM

Thats a pretty sweet outcome wotnot.

Going to pack down my pc and send off the mobo to the supplier (will have to wait up to a month for a replacement board!!!). So no happy endings here I'm affraid.

Cheers for your inputs guys but it looks like a simple hardware fault ATM.
February 17, 2009 11:48:42 AM

There was a bit if fiddling with the new motherboard (GA-EX58-UD5) before I could get my Hyper-V working, I had to update the BIOS to version F4, dissable Virtualisation in the BIOS, cold boot and enable again. All working seet now.

Waiting for a month...Ouch!, it was at least a 3 hour rund trip for me but I do feel better about buying this sort of thing direct rather than mail order.

Thanks and hope your month is a short one....
February 24, 2009 4:01:41 PM

So I just got an email from my mobo supplier and they say there is no fault on it.

This leaves me at a dead end. What could it be? Why will it not POST or boot if there is memory in the 5 channel (the recormended channel for your 3rd stick of RAM? I'm pretty sure its not a faulty bit of RAM.

Could it be a CPU issue? If so how can I check as non of my friends have a 1366 socket?

Should I just give in and take it to a shop so they can test it all and pay for the privallage?

This is totally driving me insane! Please help before I start screaming!!!!!!
February 24, 2009 6:21:40 PM

Did you get the memory and the CPU from the same supplier?
Did you send just the motherboard back?
As in my case, I got motherboard, cpu and memory from one supplier so I went back with all the kit assembled together i.e either way the problem is in their hands.

Do you know how they tested the motherboard? The one I had only threw up the fault code when there was a memory module in the centre slot. (in your case the right pair of slots)
February 25, 2009 5:48:07 PM

Sadly I got the CPU, RAM and Mobo from different suppliers. I guess there's a lesson there.

I told them in both my RMA details and on a note I put in the box when I returned it, that told them there was a problem using Channel C, and in particular slot number 5.

I have emailed them to ask about the test and what they thought but so far no reply. However the mobo has been sent back to my house (I'm currently away on work though so haven't seen it yet and won't till sat).

I think in future I may just restric the number of suppliers and how I buy my major components to avoid this hastle. Also would save P&P even if the items aren't as cheap as else where.

For now though I'll put my computer back together at the weekend and take it to a shop/builder and see if they can test my kit so I can RMA the faulty item (still think its the mobo...).
a b } Memory
February 25, 2009 9:25:44 PM

grandad1982 said:
So I just got an email from my mobo supplier and they say there is no fault on it.

This leaves me at a dead end. What could it be? Why will it not POST or boot if there is memory in the 5 channel (the recormended channel for your 3rd stick of RAM? I'm pretty sure its not a faulty bit of RAM.

Could it be a CPU issue? If so how can I check as non of my friends have a 1366 socket?

Should I just give in and take it to a shop so they can test it all and pay for the privallage?

Let me go through this again: Which slot are you calling 5? Because some manufacturers call the slots 0-1-2-3-4-5, while others say 1-2-3-4-5-6.

For three modules, your memory should be installed like this:

Empty Slot-Full Slot-Empty Slot-Full Slot-Empty Slot-Full Slot

In other words, for your board and your board only (color codes for others vary):

FILL THE WHITE SLOTS FIRST!!!

I know that it seems counter-intuitive, and it is opposite of what we did with previous motherboards, but this IS the way Intel designed it and motherboard manufacturers simply follow that design.
February 26, 2009 4:45:12 PM

Quote:
grandad1982 wrote :

Let me go through this again: Which slot are you calling 5? Because some manufacturers call the slots 0-1-2-3-4-5, while others say 1-2-3-4-5-6.

For three modules, your memory should be installed like this:

Empty Slot-Full Slot-Empty Slot-Full Slot-Empty Slot-Full Slot

In other words, for your board and your board only (color codes for others vary):

FILL THE WHITE SLOTS FIRST!!!

I know that it seems counter-intuitive, and it is opposite of what we did with previous motherboards, but this IS the way Intel designed it and motherboard manufacturers simply follow that design.

Sorry I should have explained this earlier.

On my motherboard the memory slots are arranged like so

0 1 2 3 4 5

I installed my memory in 1 3 5. These were indeed white.

After I found there was a problem I tried to see if it would boot with only 1 stick of memory. It did.
I then tried 2. It did.
I tried 3 and it didn't . I tried this in a variety of configerations to make sure the indervidual sticks of RAM worked.

So I sent the board back to the supplier (Micro Direct) so they could test, and hopefully replace my motherboard. It was tested and no fault was found.
They offered no detail as to how they tested the board. I told them specifically what the problem was as far as I could tell (that there was a fault in channel C that affected slot 5) and told them my PC set up. I think I even told them what my RAM was.

I've emailed them to ask for more details as I'm not convinced. My board is at home ATM but I'm away on work till sat. So far they haven't responded.

Not sure how to proceed from here. Ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
February 28, 2009 9:40:10 AM

Just installed my Mobo again. Notice the slots are numbered 2,1,4,3,6,5. Still RAM is in the correct slots. Still won't boot with three sticks of RAM.

I cleared the CMOS and have set the BIOS to optimised defult.

I tried all my RAM on its own and it all works.

In the BIOS the timmings aren't the same as those shown on the RAM itself but the voltages are correct as far as I can see.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 11, 2009 4:06:27 PM

hi,

i have the DS4 mobo and 6x1 mushkin 1600mhz RAM and when i put them all in, i get BSOD.
(at first i had 3x1 than i bought 3 more)
Someone told me that i have to up the voltage, but i dont know how?! I have F5 Bios.
Could someone please tell me, because 3GB will go to waste :S

thank you very much!
a b } Memory
March 11, 2009 8:31:06 PM

Go to the Motherboard Inteligent Tweaker (M.I.T) menu and scroll down to DRAM voltage, then set it to 1.65V.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 12, 2009 5:52:33 AM

how about the multipliers?
I have 1600mhz RAM and it says only 1066?
And what about the QPI? do I set it at 6,4?

thanks crashman!
a b } Memory
March 12, 2009 6:22:29 AM

Quote:
how about the multipliers?
I have 1600mhz RAM and it says only 1066?
And what about the QPI? do I set it at 6,4?

thanks crashman!

I would leave everything else at auto until you actually get the thing working with all six DIMMS
Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 12, 2009 6:33:43 AM

Hey, its working now, its not crashing. THX Crashman :) 
this is a screenshot of the settings, can you see if anything is wrong?

a b } Memory
March 12, 2009 7:48:04 AM

Quote:
Hey, its working now, its not crashing. THX Crashman :) 
this is a screenshot of the settings, can you see if anything is wrong?

]http://www.shrani.si/t/2T/Et/36SCPDxg/ss.jpg

I see you have it running at 800MHz (DDR3-1600), and if it's stable at that speed I don't see a problem.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 12, 2009 3:17:29 PM

I dont know if its stable, it doesnt crash any more, but I cant run that windows experience index any more.
I've run memtest several times well over 3,4h and 0 errors. but i still have a filling that something is not working as it should :S
!