My E8400 is overheating

claytonian

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007
I just bought an e8400 and a gigabyte motherboard. When i was puting my new build together, i could only get two of the clips on the fan down... i dont know if this has anything to do with it, just giveing you some more info. I am getting temperatures that start at about 70 degrees celcius and work their way up to over 100 degrees celcius... i dont have any OS installed yet, but when i try to install ubuntu, it loads up and then the computer just shuts off, i have AS5 on my stock intel cooler, i dont understand why im getting such high temps. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

ilovebarny

Distinguished
May 27, 2008
first of all stock intel coolers are only good for paper weights and scrap metal. ok maybe not that drastic but practically no one uses them cause they are loud and dont cool vary well. second yes only getting two of the clips down is not vary good. depending on which two clips ( ie the bottom two or the side two) can make for a vary bad cpu to hts contact. third well did you put the AS5 on right? there are instructions on AS's web site on how to apply the thermal paste.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Amazing. You state you could not install the heatsink correctly and then wonder why the cpu is overheating. :sarcastic: This post is either troll bait, or the op isn't all that bright.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Well if your heatsink aint on right, what do you think is gonna happen??????

Take your mobo out and put the heatsink on the right way.

Pushpins are so simple if you do them right. It is best to do it outside the case. Also you need to make sure all the pins are in the lock position "clockwise" If they are in the unlocked position the will never snap in.

:lol:

Looks like someone needs to put down the pipe and slowly back away from the computer. Some people shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a computer. Next time just buy a Dell.

asusdude24

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
Now now, let's be nice. Just because there are people out there who lack common sense doesn't mean we need to rag on them. Those same people say they want to clean their keyboard and they soak it in the bathtub for 2 hours then wonder why it don't work. Sad. Some people you need to explain these things to.

asusdude24

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
Ok, the bottom line is if the heatsink and fan are not installed correctly contact is not being made properly as a result it will overheat. Reinstalling the heatsink and fan will probably fix your problem. It wouldn't hurt to get a larger heatsink and fan especially if you plan on overclocking. A good rule of thumb is to start the computer and go into the bios and let the computer stay on for 15-20 minutes and watch the temps of the cpu. If they stay stable and don't fluctuate most likely it will be ok. But if it continues to rise or it goes up or down quickly your heatsink and fan are probably not mounted correctly. Hope this helps :)

If you could only get two pins in, it is certainly the cause of your problem.

It is a pain, but the ONLY way to mount the cooler is to do it outside of the case.
1) The pushpins are hard to get down. If you try to do it with the mobo in the case, you will bend the motherboard and possibly cause other problems. Just put the mobo on a piece of cardboard.
2) You need to be able to look at the back of the motherboard to be certain that all 4 pins are through and locked.

First, look at the cooler, and play with the pins, until you understand how they work. Read the Intel instructions that came with your cpu. The trick is to push in a diagonal pair of pins at the same time.

Report back how you did.

---good luck----