HELP - Need To Convert From IDE to AHCI Mode on SSD & HDDs

candidprints

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Help! I am an absolute newbe so PLEASE be patient. I installed my Win-7 Pro 64 along with my applications and all the drivers on my SSD. The problem is, I set it up in IDE rather than AHCI mode. I was happy to get it going but now I would like to change it to AHCI for TRIM support. I also set up my two (non RAID) storage drives in IDE. I tried to change to AHCI but my system would not boot. I have an i7 920 on a P6X58D Premium motherboard, a Corsair Reactor R60 SSD, and two WD Caviar Blacks. I would hate to do it but I will reformat everything and start from scratch if absolutely necessary. Since it is a new build, there is no data to worry about losing on the HDDs.

Does anybody have a fix?

Solution
The following technique can be used to switch between IDE-mode and AHCI-mode (the native mode for SATA) drivers in Vista or Windows 7:

1) Run the Registry Editor (regedit.exe)
2) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
3) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
4) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide
5) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
6) Shut down
7) Start up again, but before Windows boots go into the BIOS configuration screens and change the disk mode to "AHCI". Save the new BIOS configuration and restart so that Windows boots.

When Windows starts, it will detect the change, load new disk drivers, and do one more reboot to start up with them.

The following technique can be used to switch between IDE-mode and AHCI-mode (the native mode for SATA) drivers in Vista or Windows 7:

1) Run the Registry Editor (regedit.exe)
2) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
3) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
4) Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide
5) Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
6) Shut down
7) Start up again, but before Windows boots go into the BIOS configuration screens and change the disk mode to "AHCI". Save the new BIOS configuration and restart so that Windows boots.

When Windows starts, it will detect the change, load new disk drivers, and do one more reboot to start up with them.

Solution

candidprints

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Thank you! I sent you a priivate message because I read in another thread that you knew the process. It looks pretty easy and I am stoked that I don't have to do a reinstall of Windows!