AMD Phenom 9950BE Overheating

I_Like_Computers

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
I recently bought and built a computer, and replaced everything except the Hard drive.

-CPU: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103291
-Motherboard: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128352 (Bios: F3h)
-RAM: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145214
-Power Supply: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341001
-Case: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119115

I'm using the stock cooler and some 10% silver thermal paste, applied using line method.

I'm currently have major temperature problems!
They range from 47°C Idle, to 82°C Full Prime95 Load! :eek:
On top of that, the temperature seems very jerky on SpeedFan Charts.
Before & After prime95 Stress Test: http://img249.imageshack.us/my.php?image=temperaturechartbeforeatn6.jpg
SpeedFan Temperature Readings: http://img149.imageshack.us/my.php?image=speedfanmainreadingpagebr7.jpg

I get the same readings from AMD Overdrive.
The voltages are all v1.30 all the time.
Ambient room temperature is 19°C

Now I have a number of thoughts of what might causing this, displayed in the order of most possible cause.
-Incorrectly applied thermal paste (I never did so before, but I did it just like in many videos on the internet)
-Faulty temperature sensors
-Faulty CPU/Motherboard

Any more suggestions/information I should add?

I really need help, before my CPU explodes! :eek:

I_Like_Computers

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
I took off both case sides and there is absolutely no difference in temperature or fan speed (Still at 2000RPM Idle, and 3000RPM load).
I read reviews that this case has good airflow, and it looks like it does (Or perhaps it's because I have no video card in it yet).

Any suggestions or ideas before I check the thermal paste?

I_Like_Computers

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
After reapplying the thermal paste, there is little difference in performance.
In fact, it seems more jerky (and very sensitive to CPU Usage %) and idle is generally only a few degrees cooler.

I'm going to try one more time. This time I used the spreading method, and then left a little in the center. First time I used the line method.

So my question is, what is the best method to apply thermal paste, in your experience?

Also, is core temperature the CPU temperature, or are temp2, temp3, and core the CPU temperature? SpeedFan says core temperature uses the AMD K10 chip sensor. So what do the other numbers stand for? (temp1 Northbridge right?).

Also, what's the maximum temperature the Phenom 9950 should have?

WR

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I think the fan ramps up under load anyway - any hot chip will cause that - but the Speedfan graph would show a plateau at ~65C and not a gradual rise to 80C+ with the case side off. The 5-minute ramp from 65 to 82 C is indicative of a case ventilation problem.

I_Like_Computers

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
I'm really confused. The case side is off and the CPU is in open air at room temperature, yet there's supposed to be a case ventilation problem.

On a side note, I can't for some reason control ganged memory mode. I updated the bios recently and that might be the culprit, although I thought flashing a bios was beneficial :??: ? I recall having problems with the mode before flashing, which didn't allow me to load a webpage if it was in ganged mode. Reading that the mode doesn't offer many benefits/differences, I ignored the problem.

Although now I'm thinking that the CPU might be broken, perhaps glitching up and showing/causing high temperatures, and/or having bios confliction? Could this be the problem? Or can this be a problem with the motherboard?
Also, can cheap, non-brand thermal paste cause such overheating?

pat

Expert
A cheap thermal paste can have a 3-4 degrees higher, but not 20 or so..

Did you press F1 to get the advanced menu in BIOS? In that menu, you should be able to set memory voltage and timing. Thry to bump the voltage by one step, to see if it can work in ganged mode.

Do a stress test, and when it is hot, lick your finger to make it wet, and touch the heat sink. If it is a 82°C, then it will be really hot. Water boil at 100°C, human body is 37° .. If it is warm, then either the reading is wrong, or the heat sink is not making good contact with the CPU, so heat is not transfered well from the CPU to the sink.

At this point, you can try to apply a really thin layer of paste on the cpu with a razor blade. This way, only the microscopic gap will be filled between both part.

G

i truelly beleive u need to change the cpu cooler. to get temps near 80 is too high. regardless to what ur doing. i have set my quad core amd to shut down at 80c. i would look into getting a better heatsink.

I_Like_Computers

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
After checking the CPU cooler, it turns out it's defective. It rest on two slivers on the heatsink's sides, leaving the center of the CPU about 1-1.5mm below the heatsink.

Additionally, after a new bios flash, the memory problem still hasn't ceased, probably because the CPU has now completely broke in that memory controller aspect. I'll see what the people at the store I bought this CPU (NCIX) think.

Can CPU's break when put into temperatures of 80C a few times? (I guess so)

blackpanther26

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
I would try to sand the heatsink down a little bit. Called lap it. I don't trust speedfan to give me temp readings. Try Core temp or AMD OverDrive. Not sure if reall temp will give you readings on an AMD machine but that is somthing to look into as well.

I_Like_Computers

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
I have an update with the temperature.

I went back to the store and had the tech there check the computer.

He installed thermal paste (forgot which one, probably mx-2) and these are the current temperatures:
-Idle: 45C
-Load: 67C

He said that all AMD heatsinks are curved because of the heatpipes they have.

When I told him the max temperature was 61C (Which I got from http://www.amd.com/us-en/asset...nd_tech_docs/44109.pdf (pg.17&35)), he didn't believe me and said all Phenoms like mine are this hot. Well I don't believe him, and I'm pretty sure the Phenom 9950 operates cooler, and that I'm past the safety threshold because of a faulty heatsink.

When I check the heatsink at load, the heatpipes are very hot, and burn, yet the heatsink is mildly warm, and the fan exhausts cool air.

So my questions are:
What temperatures do you guys normally have with the stock heatsink?
Is 61C the safe temperature?
What temperature can a CPU possibly get damaged by?
I'm I right, or is he right?

I_Like_Computers

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
The reason for my high temperatures was the heatsink, which was curved.

After all the trouble I went through, the people at the store allowed me to exchange my CPU without charge. I exchanged it for the Phenom 940 II. This heatsink was flat and perfect.

The temps I have:
-44C Idle
-58C Stress test
-Lower than 55C throughout gaming and video editing

The whole problem was caused by an uneven heatsink. AMD technical support says this is rare, but it seems to happen often, with all these temperature threads on Phenoms around.

Check your stock heatsink with a level, and if it's uneven, buy a better one or have AMD replace the stock one.

FourBin Labs

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
A comment on the memory not going into ganged mode, my motherboard (GA0MA790X-DS4) will only go into ganged mode when i had the correct power supply. My first power supply only ad a 12v 4 pin connector instead of an 8 pin connector.

I had problems with heat on this CPU as well bought the tuniq tower to improve cooling. It did help some, but I had to lap the heat sink and heat speader to get decent improvements.

I have found that running various benchmarks and CPU intensive tasks show a gradual increase in CPU temp. But whenever I run SETI@home the temps spike up to around 80 degrees instantly. This is the only app that causes this. The core temps are fine, only the CPU temp spikes.

Any thoughts on this?

fayoosh

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011

Get some Arctic cooling MX-2 or MX-3 thermal paste it should solve your heat problem i have the AMD 9950 BE 140w and was able to reach a max temp of 80c without my fans on, and with my fans on i don't get higher than 50c.....Also i just upgraded my CPU cooler fans to 2 delta AFB series 113 CFM 3400 RPM but they go well above 3400 more like 3479 and my CPU heat-sink is a cooler master z60.