Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7/ acer aspire/ sata/ disk read error occured/recovery not working

Last response: in Storage
March 23, 2010 12:17:11 AM

My computer went really slow and crashed all of a sudden, so I turn it off.-I didnt download anything dodgy etc so i really doubt its malware.when i turn it on, I get a disk read error.ok,im going to do this in the format of what happens when i try different things:
LEAVE IT AS IT IS AND LET IT BOOT
1)comes up with usual ACER logo and del to enter setup etc.
2)black screen with blinking underscore comes next.
3)black screen reads: a disk read error occured press ctrl-alt-del to restart.
IF I ENTER BIOS
1)standard csmos features: read sata port 0 primary IDE master as ATAPI CDROM.sata port 3 secondary IDE slave as HARD DISK
2)everything is set default.
IF I USE RECOVERY DISC
startup repair-cant fix
system restore- shows correct dates but cant fix
system image recovery-no system image
windows memory diag.-finds nothing
command prompt-(reads as drive X cant go to cor d or anything) ran few of bootrecs
bootfix=no effect
fixmbr=noeffect
the other two=recognise no installations.

Im really not sure what info I need to give. butI would greatly appreciatee any help.
oh yeah, and complete reinstall you may say?
1)I dont have the disk, w7 came preinstalled.
2)I need files on drive
3)drive is sata- i have no other sata computer to transfer files to- and i have no idea if its malwared(i honestly didnt download anything dodgey/click on anything stupid.) OK TY :D 
a b G Storage
March 23, 2010 4:09:30 AM

Unfortunately, it sounds like the drive has failed. Just to be sure however, you can try it out on another computer, or use a USB HDD enclosure to try and recover the files.
Related resources
December 30, 2013 3:12:50 PM

r_manic said:
Unfortunately, it sounds like the drive has failed. Just to be sure however, you can try it out on another computer, or use a USB HDD enclosure to try and recover the files.

Trying it in another computer will not confirm or deny anything. Having damaged boot sectors (which is what this problem sounds like) could be caused by a failing hard drive, but It often happens when shutting down the computer improperly (that is without letting windows go through the usual restarting steps) which sounds more likely in this case.

Using the recovery console you should run chkdsk /r which will locate and repair the bad sectors on your hard drive. If this fails, then chances are good that the hardware itself is failing. Reformatting would also fix the problem but you said that you need to retrieve files from the desktop. Unfortunately if the HDD is failing, the more you use it the less likely it will be that you can recovery your date from it.
a c 812 G Storage
December 30, 2013 4:16:57 PM

sure it will, the boot sector can be surfaced tested just like any other part of the drive.

@OP I would suggest you download and create a hirens boot disk or run acers driver diagnostics to scan the surface of the drive but I suspect the drive is no longer spinning. If the drive is easy to remove, post a pic of the circuit board side and let us know the make and model number from the drives label.
!