New system build boots ultra slow...

gildedlink

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
Hi everyone, I'm new here and google searches leading to this forum in the past have always helped me out, so I figured I'd turn here first about some problems I'm having.

The motherboard to my last desktop died last week, and I spent the money to upgrade almost every component, down to the case. The only components of the old system that are internal are the hard drives (IDE). When I first booted it in it's new environment, and every attempt since, it freezes at 'verifying DMI Pool'. This isn't the problem that's really getting to me at the moment though, as I've researched the fix for this. The problem is that when I try to boot from cd, everything that loads slows to a GRINDING HALT.

I have 4 boot cds. Two of these are multiboot utility cds, and the other two are copies of windows (an upgrade disc for XP SP1, and a Vista Ultimate x64 disc). When I try to boot from these cds, everything turns ridiculously slow. One example: yesterday I ran chkdsk from the XP recovery console (which took about 20 minutes to boot into the disc, then another 10 at least to boot into the recovery console). Chkdsk itself ran in about 10-15 minutes, and reported errors with the partition, so I ran it with the /R flag. This proved to be a mistake, as the scan was still going 10 hours later when I woke up at the morning, and had only jumped 18% from where it was when I fell asleep. Vista's recovery environment refuses to even load; I see 'loading windows files' and then the windows loading bar, and if I'm lucky enough to see past that I see a black screen that just hangs there. I can't get anything to work from the boot cds thusfar, so the faster I can boot into them the faster I can try to solve the other problems.

Specs:

-Core 2 Quad Q9950
-2GB DDR2 RAM (OCZ was the brand if I recall correctly)
-eVGA geforce 9800GT AKIMBO (1GBDDR3)
-eVGA nforce SLI 750i FTW
-Cooler Master Real Power Pro 750w supply
-Sony Optiarc 22x SATA DVD-RW DL drive
-2 Hitachi Deskstar 160GB internal drives, IDE

If any other diagnostics or answers to things I've already tested are needed, please let me know.

topper743

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
Are you going to do a fresh install on these drives? Do you have another HD to check against possible HD problems? How old is the HD? If the drive is more than a couple yrs old I would replace it also. The new ones are larger and mostly faster. It sounds like a HD/ boot sector problem if everything is in fact correctly installed in the system.

G

Hi

I've had similar issues in the past when mix'n'matching SATA and IDE on mainboards that support both.
Can you pull the IDE drives and see if the SATA DVD boots any faster then?

Stuart

gmworodj

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2008
how long have you waited for vista to install? it does take some time before the first screen actually loads up.... about 20 minutes...

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
Many of the newer motherboards with the single port ide connection doesn't like ide hard drives anymore, although dvd ide drives works ok. I brought a cheap pci ide controller booting off to my ide drives running vista and I have problems that you describe. I have some 200gb ide drives which have plenty of life left but I had to buy sata drive in order to go around the problem.

gildedlink

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
@topper743: I was planning to repair the installs I currently have on the drives. I have a vista x64/XP/gentoo system. If necessary I can buy a new drive, but the expense and problem of backing my files up onto it are still there. I have a lot of things to save across all partitions. I haven't been able to use Bootcfg /Rebuild because it hasn't been able to scan for windows. I've used fixboot, but not fixMBR as I'm not sure if that'd damage the vista installation's entry.

@stuart72: I can and will try that, and I'll report the results. I'm a bit concerned about using up my sata ports because I already borked one (the plastic wafer in the connector on the mobo broke out) so I only have 2 left now.

@gmworodj: I've waited for about an hour once I've made it to that black screen, nothing.

@pug_s: do you know if it's possible to boot from an eSATA drive instead? I added a card yesterday to hook up my external at a better speed than usb2. The drive itself isn't hooked up yet.

gildedlink

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
Well, after disconnecting the hard drives, the SATA DVD burner does load the booting discs a lot faster, and both the vista and XP discs load in quickly. I guess the question now would be how to transfer my files and settings over to my external drive without any kind of shell system to use.

G

Solution looks like getting a newer SATA drive to replace the IDE ones or try a SATA to IDE converter (£4.99, www.ebuyer.com quick code 139071)

as for transferring data, unfortunately there is no XCOPY-like command in the windows recovery console, can you get hold of an external drive that accepts IDE drives? or do you have a 'Live' linux CD you could boot into?

ESATA should boot no problem

Stuart