Won't freaking work GA-P35-DS3L

ExTechie

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2007
My computer will not freaking work. I press the power on button. It does not make any calls to, or attempt to access: hard drive, optical or floppy disk drive. Nothing appears on the monitor. Fans start to spin. Ten seconds later the computer turns itself off. About 1 minute later it tries to restart itself. This cycle repeats, until I turn the power supply off.

I built this system in November of 2007.
GA-P35-DS3L
Intel E6750
Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 PC26400
Samsung Hard Drive and Optical
Sony Floppy
Antec power supply

What I’ve done:

I’ve verified power going into the power supply. I’ve reseated all connectors, cards and memory except the CPU. I’ve tried bootable disks in the optical and floppy drives. I’ve tried clearing the CMOS. I’ve tried running the computer without drives, without memory and without the video card in all different ways. The same things happens. I’ve pulled the motherboard reset wire, I thought it might have been stuck closed. I put my shotgun against the computer and tried threatening it.

I am down to three options.
Bad power supply
Bad Motherboard
Bad CPU

I plan on trying the power supply first. Does anyone have and advice or suggestions?

Thanks
Tom

ExTechie

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2007
No, I've got an Antec Solo case. Doesn't come with a case speaker. Nothing in the front USB ports or firewire port either.

Thanks for your reply
Tom

bilbat

Splendid
Get one - if nothing else, try a local computer place (not a best buy, ar another 'big box' place, but a place that sells supplies and does service) - they might just give you one - at worst, it can't be over two or three dollars. Like I say, when nothing, or almost nothing is working, it's your only diagnostic info:
manual1nj4.jpg

ExTechie

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2007
Thank you for the idea. It was a good one. But...., I had the parts already to cobble one together. It beeps once when I press the power on button. After that, even when the PC tries to that auto restart, that I mentioned in the first post. Nothing it is silent.

I do appreciate your time and advice.

Thanks
tom

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Make sure the motherboard isn't making any shorts against the case. Check that all the stand-offs on the case are in the correct positions.

bilbat

Splendid
Repost:

You will need a large, empty table for a temporary work-space.

Take the MOBO out of the case; place it on a non-conductive surface (the box it came in is ideal - do not use the foam sheet [slightly conductive] or the bag [fully conductive] which are for static dissipation). While you have it out, flip it over and verify that your Fan/HS retaining pins are all fully seated.

Plug in:
your keyboard;
one stick of RAM in slot 0;
the video card in the first PCIe slot, counting from the top (end with the rear panel connectors);
the monitor into the video card (don't forget to turn the monitor on), in the top (away from the MOBO) connector if it has two;
a speaker/piezo into the 'speaker' header ot the front panel connector bank (polarity doesn't matter);
if you can (otherwise instructions follow...) the power switch from the case (and, once again - polarity doesn't matter);
ALL power (turn the PSU rear switch OFF first) connectors required by your setup:
the 2x4 at the top,
the 24 or 20+4 (depending on your PSU) at the side,
the 6x or 8x on your video card.

Now, take a deep breath, and sit down for a minute. When calm, turn the PSU switch on, and depress the power switch (or, if you couldn't manage to connect it, short the "PWR_SW header pins in the front panel connector bank, for a second or two with a small flat-bladed screwdriver)...

One of three things will happen:

Nothing - in this case, turn the PSU switch back off, and switch the RAM for a different stick; flip the switch back on, and repeat the startup procedure (switch or pins); if still nothing, RMA your MOBO - still possible that the CPU is toasted, but, due to the apparent cause, much less likely...

Beeps - in this case, note the beep pattern/count; diagnostic info is, I believe, on page 106 of your manual, or post back...

Video - HURRAY! You/we can get into the BIOS and figure out the problem...

An aside:
Do you have access to another comp? (well, obviously, as you're posting, duh) I mention it because the next step (assuming video) will require a download, and burning an ISO file to a bootable CD - you might want to start making arrangements in advance...