Sign in with
Your question

Looking for my first widescreen monitor

Last response: in Systems
October 17, 2008 9:58:40 AM

Hi guys

I haven't posted here much since I built my rig a year and a half or so ago, but I'm now looking in to getting myself a widescreen monitor (mainly for gaming) and I'd just like to know people's opinions on which brands/models are the ones to go for at the moment.

Bearing in mind that my rig has a single GeForce 8800 GTS 640Mb graphics card I'm a bit concerned that I won't be able to go too big without suffering a major performance drop at 1900 x 1080 (is that right?).

I mainly play strategy games like Medieval 2 Total War, Company of Heroes etc, but with the odd FPS mixed in when I fancy a change. These games all run flawlessly now on my 19" 4:3 TFT, but I don't know what effect moving to a big widescreen would have.

I'm thinking of getting a 24" widescreen since anything bigger would be too large for the area where my PC lives. I don't want to spend more than around £300 ($700). Can you guys recommend a decent screen for that sort of money?

Many thanks for your help

Graham

More about : widescreen monitor

October 17, 2008 11:08:04 AM

I use an ACER P241w 24" widescreen LCD with the exactly the same 8800 GTS and I run all my games in 1920x1200....very nice indeed,I paid around $400.00 (US) for the ACER 24" and that was almost a year ago,so you may be able to pick it up cheaper now,the 8800 GTS is still a formidable vid card so I don't think you will have any trouble,the native resolution on the 24" widescreen is 1920x1200.....Pretty Sweet,I have a feeling you will love it
October 17, 2008 11:15:43 AM

I had a 8800 GTS 640 before I gave that system to someone else and upgraded to an 8800 GTS G92, and was running a 22" Samsung monitor great.

I would suggest 22" or 24" as suggested above. You'll love all the real estate of a larger monitor.

I like Samsung as a brand - great quality.
October 17, 2008 7:12:04 PM

Thanks guys, it's good to heard that people with the same specs are running big screens fine.

I like Samsung too, I have one of their colour laser printers which is one of the best things I've ever bought for my PC, however the website where I usually buy my kit from (aria.co.uk) doesn't seem to do many Samsung displays for some reason.

I've been drawn towards a 24" Hyundai W240 PVA panel which is going for £317 and seems to have good reviews. Any opinions? I can have it on 9 months interest free credit too...
!