painkille137

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
I am absolutely new to overclocking. I am a PC gaming enthusiast and I am finally getting into OC'ing. I have looked at the guide and tried to understand some concepts to some extent.

Currently my set up is this:
Video card - NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3.0 GHz
Motherboard - ASUS P5QC LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM - Patriot Extreme Performance Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Desktop Memory
And 2gb of some other DDR2 RAM
Case - COOLER MASTER HAF 922
Power supply - Cooler Master Real Power Pro 750W Power Supply
Windows XP

Here are pics of what i put in initially into BIOS. When i boot up, my computer tells me that the Overclocking has failed. What am i doing wrong?
newimagehd.jpg

newimage1e.jpg

japps2

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
I would say that your FSB speed is too much for stock voltage. either back off the frequency or up the voltage. Read the guilds and get as much info as possible prior to changing anything...you can fry stuff really easy. Learn what voltages that CPU can handle before you start upping them. And monitor temperatues. And back your PCIe frequency back down to 100MHz...I've read several places that anything over the 100MHz hurts performance instead of helps. You also have all 4 ram slots occupied (2x2 plus 2gb more)? remove the 2gb more and just try the 4gb...most motherboards don't overclock well if all ram slots are occupied.

Yes, either type out the details or decrease the resolution. You can choose a lower resolution with your camera.

As long as your CPU temperatures are below 70 C, you can increase the core voltage up to 1.3625 volts safely. Take the memory voltage off Auto and set it to factory recommended values.

I have read that running the PCI-e bus faster than 100 MHz can damage whatever is plugged in.

Disable the two spread spectrum settings.

And for ideas about how to fine tune your OC settings:
HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - Guide v1.6.1
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overclock-quads-duals-guide

And look for a guide for your particular motherboard. Google is your friend.