Please check if my new build will work

timiny_cricket

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
Hi. Although I've done a lot of research into this, I'm new to building computers, and any advice on whether these parts should work well together would be greatly appreciated. I'm mostly unsure about the motherboard and if everything can plug into it.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
Asus P5Q Pro
Corsair 4GB 6400 C5DHX (2x2GB)
Asus EN9800GT Ultimate --or-- Asus EN9800GTX+
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB (or something similar)
Antec Twelve Hundred case
Viewsonic 19" VA926 DVI --or-- Samsung 19" 943B

I'll be running XP.

What kind of power supply would be recommended for this system?

I haven't decided yet on the keyboard or optical drives, but I don't suppose those things would really have any compatibility issues, right?

I'm unsure about how computers are put together because I've never done it before, and I have a few questions.
- Do the fans that come with the case all plug into the motherboard?
- If so, where can I find information on how many fans a motherboard can support? (Because the Antec case comes with 7 fans + 1 optional, which seems like quite a lot, and I'm not sure if the motherboard will support that many)
- The Asus 9800GTX+ has a 2 x 6 pin power connector, as opposed to a single 6 pin connector for the 9800GT. Does that mean a single 9800GTX+ takes up two SLI slots?

Thanks in advance

I'd change your graphic card to a HD4850, you have a great motherboard choice that includes a crossfire option if you ever decide to go that way. The Nvidia 9800 series can only be used in SLI, not crossfire. Budget would stay about the same. The motherboard has 4 fan sockets, the rest would be powered by your power supply. You could get a fan controller for about $20. A quality 550w to 650w power supply would be a good choice. This one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015
or PC Power and Cooling 610w or Corsair 650w would be a good choice and would be good for an eventual crossfire.

Agreed with dirtmountain. Get a HD 4850 card, preferably Visiontek or Sapphire.

As for the PSU, this Corsair 650TX will do nicely even when/if you add a second video card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005&Tpk=650tx
I prefer it to the Silencer 610W because it has (6+2)-pin PCI-E connectors instead of 6-pin. That is, you can use it everywhere you use a Silencer, but also with video cards that want 8 pins. The HD 4850 wants 6 pins so the Silencer will do, but future gaming cards are likely to want 8 pins because they will consume more.

Get two WD6400AAKS disks instead of the 1 TB disk. Same speed, $149.98 instead of $149.99, 596*2 GB total instead of 931 GB, and much better if you do things like video encoding with the source and destination on different disks.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218&Tpk=wd6400aaks

Optical - SH-S223Q

Why would you buy a 19" monitor these days? Try a 22" widescreen, it's much nicer.

I forgot to mention - the motherboard you picked (P5Q Pro) is an excellent choice, no worries there. I especially like the 8 SATA ports. If you're going to use the PC to record TV or download lots of junk you'll appreciate the ability to add lots of hard disks. 8 SATA ports means you can have 7 hard disks and a DVD burner.