Need quiet heatsink for my Athlon

odel555q

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
I have an Athlon 2400+ and I'd like to get a quiet heatsink/fan for it (I'm just using the stock fan right now). It's a socket A and I found this article:

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1518

which seems to be exactly what I want. The problem is that I can't seem to find anywhere to buy it. Does anyone know where I can get one of these, or is there a more modern equivalent?

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
I put one on my s478 P4. my mom has it now, still running strong. doesn't even collect much dust compared to the rest of the computer. had to replace the PSU, graphics card, and a case fan because of dust induced (IMHO) fan failures.

look at a mom-n-pop brick and morter, they often have outdated stuff on the shelves colecting dust.

I'm not famililar with the socket-A retention system. It looks like just 2 screws. you'd probably be better off making a newer heatsink fit if you can. there is a reason everyone went to heatpipes.

I honestly cant see spending any money on an old socket A.

a new, more modern mobo/CPU/memory can be had for $100 that can be quieter. you are looking at $20 min for what you want to do.

you can pick up a zalman fan controler and turn down the stock heatsink fan, then underclock to reduce heat. that what makes the most sense to me from what I'm guessing you are trying to do.