Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard problem

Last response: in Motherboards
February 16, 2009 4:47:51 AM

I have a FIC motherboard which according to the FIC website is a P4-865 PE PRO. This board has a 3.2 Ghz prescott core installed in it. My problem is that it will only post at 1.6 Ghz and all efforts to post a higher clock hard crash the board and I have to reste the bios. Can someone give me some ideas as to what i might be missing. The bios is an Award bios and I have 2GB of corsair pc3200 xms installed.

More about : motherboard problem

February 16, 2009 9:35:41 AM

Is the 1.6GHz with the BIOS settings on "auto"? How do you know it's at 1.6GHz? Have you tried running CPU-Z -- if so, please post screen captures of its screens.
a c 435 V Motherboard
February 16, 2009 1:11:36 PM

Check your bios settings. If cpu fsb is 100, change it to 200 fsb, save and exit.
Related resources
February 17, 2009 11:08:48 PM

I can not post CPU_Z results because I can not find a way to insert the image onto the page. Copy and paste does not work and there is no option to insert the image onto the page. CPU_Z reports my memory as corsair xms pc 3200 and cpu as prescott core intel 3.2 ghz running at 1.6 ghz. it also shows my north bridge as i865p/pe/g/848p and south bridge as ich5. my motherboard bios has almost all performance settings set for user defined but it will not post at higher than 100mhz memory clock and 1.6 ghz cpu effective clock. All attempts to raise bus speeds end in a hard crash which is only fixed by resetting the bios and setting things back to the lowest settings which then results in the same problem I now post about. Maybe mondoman could suggest a way i can get the CPU_Z images onto my post for further review.
February 19, 2009 8:29:50 AM

Just upload them to a public photo hosting site such as photobucket, then post the URLs for those photos here. There's a photo tool among the message editing icons that will automatically wrap the URL with the correct tags.
February 19, 2009 1:59:46 PM

I think your mobo has no overclocking . I also think u should try another type of rams instead of corsair . U should use at least 3.0 gigabyte of rams .
Please refer also to your mobo manual to set your bios to the correct configuaration :o  tion
February 22, 2009 5:29:15 PM

Here are the screenshots of my system configuration. I do not see anything here that gives me insight into my problem but I hope this helps to solve my problem.

February 24, 2009 10:50:43 AM

Mondoman said:
Is the 1.6GHz with the BIOS settings on "auto"? How do you know it's at 1.6GHz? Have you tried running CPU-Z -- if so, please post screen captures of its screens.

I have posted the screenshots you requested. Thank you for your help with this problem.
February 26, 2009 12:20:32 AM

OK, thanks very much for the CPU-Z shots! I see what is happening. The CPU tab shows that your system is running at a 400MHz FSB. However, your CPU is designed to run on a 800MHz FSB; running on a 400MHz FSB means the CPU is running at 1/2 speed, so is running at 1.6GHz instead of 3.2GHz. Now, why is this happening? Some possibilities:
1) Your MB model ID is correct, but it needs a newer BIOS version to properly recognize the (then-new) 3.2GHz CPU.
2) Your MB model ID is not correct, and what you have is a related MB that does not support the 800MHz FSB speed.
3) Your MB model ID is correct, and the BIOS does support your CPU, but you have set a BIOS setting so that it is running at 400MHz FSB instead of 800MHz FSB.

I think #3 is most likely. Unfortunately, we'll need to see the actual BIOS screens to help out on those settings. Any chance you could photo those and then upload/post those photos?

February 26, 2009 5:07:37 AM

my motherboard will not allow me to raise the base clock above 100mhz. if i raise it even 1mhz the board will not post at all and i have to reset the bios and reset it to 100mhz inorder to get the computer to work at all. i can take pictures of my bios screens if you can tell me which screens you want to see and which options you want expanded. i personally think this motherboard is junk. the fic website says all motherboards in this series are prescott ready. the thing i hate the most about it is there is not way to tell what motherboard you have in the series by looking at the silk screen on the board so it is nearly impossible to know what bios file to download for an upgrade. i looked at every motherboard in their 865 chipset lineup and all of them have the same silk screen model number on them. i am not sure if just picking one out of the air might really screw this board up so i am leary of installing a new bios and i can not get anyone from fic to return my calls or emails for help.
February 27, 2009 12:16:48 AM

Yep, it's an old MB and was low-end when it was new. You may have a version which only supports a 400MHz FSB.
!