Sign in with
Your question

NH-U12P SE2

Last response: in Overclocking
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2010 2:29:27 PM

Hey forum,

I have the NH-U12P SE2 cooler with an overclocked i7 processor running at 3.2 Ghz (170 x 20) - Now what my problem is, is that after stressing it using Prime 95 on 100% load, the CPU Temp. goes to 82C and the 4 Core Temps. go to 95C'ish (Using a program called "SpeedFan")

Now I have seen from other tests that the temps. should only be around 68C on CPU Temp. and around 80 on Core Temps.

How can this be? and how can I change it so I get the same results?

Thanks,
Kris

More about : u12p se2

a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2010 3:44:17 PM

If I am not mistaken, SpeedFan displays inaccurate readings.

Please list your case, components, and which thermal compound you used.

Use coretemp, realtemp, and hwmonitorpro. Run Prime95 at 100% load again and post your results.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2010 4:16:08 PM

Thank you for your reply.

My case is CM 690, components are as followed
Processor: i7 920 at 3.2 Ghz
Motherboard: Asus P6T SE (Not deluxe)
CPU Cooler: NH-U12P SE2
Memory: Corsair XMS 6gb 1600 Mhz
Graphic Card: ATI HD5870
Power Supply: Corsair HX850 Watt
Hard Drive: 500gb - 32 mb cache Western Digital
Optical Drive: Just random from old computer :p 

I use the Thermal Compound that came along with the Noctua called NT-H1 High-End Thermal Compound (First time that I built a computer so do you think that I did not put enough on? Could that be the problem?)

I made Prime95 run for 2min, and while it is going, here are my results (average):
CoreTemp: RealTemp: Hardware Monitor Pro:
Core 1: 97C Core 1: 97C Core 1: 95C
Core 2: 98C Core 2: 98C Core 2: 96C
Core 3: 88C Core 3: 89C Core 3: 87C
Core 4: 94C Core 4: 94C Core 4: 93C
Related resources
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2010 4:17:43 PM

Seems akward that Core 3 is aorund 10C cooler then all the other cores (just an observation)!
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2010 5:34:59 PM

Can anyone help me?
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2010 6:06:35 PM

I noticed you listed NH-U12P SE2 cpu heatsink. That is supposed to be a very good heatsink.

First check and make sure your cpu heatsink fans and all case fans are operating.

Second I would suggest checking to make sure the cpu heatsink is installed properly and correctly seated.

Third, if the first two suggestions do not apply, remove the cpu heatsink. Clean the heatsink and cpu. Reapply thermal compound and install the cpu heatsink according to the manufacturers instructions for your particualr cpu:

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=support_manuals&lng=...

Please pay attention to step 6 - "apply thermal compound to an Intel cpu". In the diagram Noctua uses the "pea method". Noctua also cautions against appyling too much compound which will decrease cooling performance. If you apply too much compound the heatsink will not operate properly and temperatures will increase.

Please pay attention to step 7 - "fastening the heatsink to the cpu". I hope you remembered to remove the plastic film on the bottom of the cpu heatsink.

In the event English is not your native language, Noctua has a web page with links to product manuals in a variety of languages:

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=support_manuals&lng=...
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2010 8:04:56 PM

Also - if you do wind up taking the Heatsink off to reapply - take a close look at the currently applied themal compund and see if it covered the entire surface of the CPU with a thin layer of compound (seeing what the result of the first application should give you and idea of how much more or less of the compound should be used !)
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2010 8:43:08 PM

Also check the cpu. If I am not mistaken the Intel cpu's come with either a clear plastic film or a label that has to be removed. I don't remember for sure.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2010 3:23:26 PM

I have now removed the heatsink, cleaned it for dust (aswell as the fans) and cleaned the thermal compound with 100% alcohol from both the heatsink and the cpu. I reaplied it using the "Dot" method, and now when i turn my computer on, the tempratures are 15C lower then they were before!!! Really appreciate the help :D 
!