Sign in with
Your question

Building a HTPC: Can a PCI card play blu ray?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 14, 2008 2:23:47 PM

So I have a Dell with a 2.6ghz celeron and 1gb or 2gb of ram... Need to check on that. It unfortunately only has PCI slots. No agp or PCI-e. I have a blu ray drive in my other deskdrive that I'm not using because its in my office. So I wanted to build an HTPC for the living room with the Dell.

My question is, Does the PCI bus offer enough bandwidth to enable playback of Blu Ray if I get a Video card that supports HD video decoding?

These are two cards I'm looking at. One from tiger direct, the other from newegg.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite... - 8400 gs 256mb

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- 2400 pro

Thanks for anyhelp you can give me. I've been unable to find any info on whether this would work.
(I also plan on using one other PCI card... a wireless lan card)
November 14, 2008 5:39:13 PM

i only know of two pci graphics cards i know of with a pci interface, and they cannot play blu-ray.
dont waste your time.
November 14, 2008 6:56:28 PM

Those two links are to 2 PCI video cards that say they can play HD video and are HDCP ready. I understand that I could build a nice system for relatively cheap. But I'm trying to pinch pennies and If I don't have to pay for a new system I'd rather not.

That being said, Opinions are welcome. I know not many people would ever try this but I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on whether it would work.

Thanks,
November 19, 2008 6:44:10 PM

Im positive it'll work They wouldn't say HDPC on the 2400 if it couldn't play blurays.But if all possible I would get the 8400, I have both a 8500pcie and a 2400agp . The 2400 overall is a terrible card that has the preformance of a 9550 overclocked with DX10 features , the 8500 IS SO MUCH BETTER its based on the same G86 core the 8400 is on and the preformance was spectacular in games I cou,ld play crysis on very high with severe overclocking and If a G86 can do that Im sure it could play bluray.
Now the thing is why to get the 8400 is that since its based on the G86, it can be unlocked up to PAST the 8500 specs Though I haven't seen too much more preformance in games It definatly sped video up And incase your wondering this is totally safe and I have done it to the 8300,8400 and 8500.
This is not overclocking It will just enable disabled parts of your cards sealed off by drivers.
Its very easy by the click of your mouse about 15 times Ill tell you how justemail me

.. email me its
Cookieboy10789@aim.com
or Instant message
Cookieboy10789

Btw I am not a NVIDIA or ATI FAN boy I have had good and bad expiriences with both comppanes and my main card right now is a radeon 4850
!