February 16, 2009 5:35:51 AM

So, I just upgraded to the following:
AMD Phenom 9950 BE (new)
XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 (new)
ASRock A780GXE/128M (new)
G.Skill F2-6400CL4D-2GBPK 2GB (1x2) DDR2 800
Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX 4GB (2x2) DDR2 800
Saphire Radeon 1950XT 256MB

I have not overclocked since my old AMD XP 2500+ Barton, so spent the better part of the night reading FAQs, guides and such about overclocking. The conclusions I have come to [other than trying first to just increase the multiplier] are to turn off Cool n' Quiet, do all overclocking via the BIOS instead of nifty motherboard OC software, manually set my ram timings to the factory recommended settings (4-4-4-12 on both) and run a good 6 hour stress test afterwards. At any rate, the problem I have is that the motherboard does not have ram customizations for each bank, rather simply just an overall adjustment. Since there are two different sets of ram I am not sure how this will work out. Although the timings are the same the voltage differs (corsair 4GB being 2.1 and g.skill being 1.9-2.0). Is this a problem? Should I go ahead with the overclock? I did do a search here and on google with no real results probably due to my inability to word my question right. Any suggestions?

P.S. Vista sidebar gadgets show my ram usage at a variable 28-31% during no activity. Before this upgrade of cpu and mobo, it was usually at like 5-10%. What gives; any bios settings I should look for? I did reformat.

G.Skill 2GB
Corsair 4GB

More about : sticks ram types

a b } Memory
February 16, 2009 6:00:32 AM

No guarantee two diffferent kinds of RAM will work together, but since both are rated at 4-4-4-12 @800MHz. go ahead and use those settings for the timings and speed in BIOS. Set the RAM voltage to 2.1v to cover the Corsair's higher voltage requirement for the advertised specs. You can loosen the timings to 5-5-5-15 and drop the speed to 667MHz. if necessary to get to a higher CPU speed when raising the FSB.
February 16, 2009 6:05:56 PM

they should work as long as the timings are the same, and even if they aren't theres a chance it'll work. i'm currently using two different kinds of ram, although they are both made by corsair.
Related resources
February 16, 2009 7:14:42 PM

I am not quite sure how to set it up... In the BIOS it not only has settings for CAS tras and all that stuff but about 4-5 extra timings to set for a total of 8 or so. At the memory faq I was reading it never mentioned another 4 timings to set. Should I keep those set to auto?
a b } Memory
February 16, 2009 7:49:42 PM

The first four settings are the most important, for practical purposes auto is fine for the other latency settings. The lower the number of the setting, the faster the timing becomes and that is true for ALL RAM latency settings in BIOS.
February 17, 2009 4:16:36 AM

Thank you gentlemen. Perhaps this should be moved to the OC section. Mod, please?

I successfully altered the cas latency- trcd-trp-tras to the specified 4-4-4-12 and the speed to 800mhz manually. As far as memory voltage goes, my BIOS has an option for "NB voltage" under cpu advanced and a DRAM voltage under chipset advanced. The DRAM voltage setting is nestled around the onboard video options so perhaps it is referring to the gpu's memory? Is "NB voltage" mean north bridge which means memory? The pdf file that came with the mobo gives no information further than what the BIOS offers.

Also, there is an "overclock mode" as the first option within CPU Advanced settings with the choices of: Auto, CPU PCIE Sync, CPU PCIE ASync, & Optimized. Which should I choose? I plan on just upping the multiplier for the CPU to achieve 3.0ghz then run some stress tests.
!