KRAILED

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
I'm getting 100 fps in CoD1 with a AMD Phenom 9500 and a 4870. Would anyone care to explain why this is so bad? My friend has a Intel Core 8500 and a 8800 and gets over 2000 fps in CoD1.

Devastator_uk

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
Since CoD1 will not use all 4 cores on the Phenom and the e8500 has more cache and a lot higher clock speed you're bound to notice a significant difference although not at a ratio of 20:1. My guess is you have something else slowing the Phenom down, possibly RAM, or it could just be the v-sync setting on that machine capping the fps to the same as the refresh rate.

Also why worry about getting more than 100fps, the human eye/brain cannot tell the difference between that and 2000fps.

KRAILED

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
I have 8gbs of RAM and v-sync is not on, other games i get horrible fps on that are more graphic dependent like CoD2 and Left 4 Dead. I have the latest drivers for my graphics card. Does anyone else have any other possible solutions?

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Phenom 9500 is not the best gaming chip, certainly not as good as the Intel 8500.
Solution? Raise the clock speed...thats all you can do really. Due to the chips stepping if you get it higher than mine and stable ill be pretty impressed. Ive had mine at 2560 ish before and it wasnt stable at all...could raise the voltage but its a questionable chip anyway and I dont want to risk blowing it up haha!

My advice would be to save your pennies for a P2, you would see some nice improvements and as you can run a 9500 then you will be able to run a P2 as well with a BIOS flash. Of course it depends how "horrible" your fps really is...i run COD 4/5 perfectly fine with the same chip and a 4850 and half the RAM.

KRAILED

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Thank you for your replys to my problem here. I get around 30-40 fps in left 4 dead max settings and only 70 fps in CoD2 with it at 2.2. So if anyone has any other solutions, I'll be very happy to hear them, or I'm just convinced that this Phenom 9500 is just failing me hard and I'll be switching over to Intel.

loneninja

Distinguished

:eek:

My fps in L4D ranges from about 55 when I swarmed by Zombies up to about 110 when I'm inside a building looking at the walls. I've got an Athlon X2 7750 @3.0Ghz and Radeon 4670@ stock with 4Gb of ram. I play with it on max settings 1680x1050 res.

The Phenom 9500 is a B2 stepping, they were terrible overclockers and suffered a TLB problem. A fix was issued to motherboards to fix the TLB but it sacrificed something like 10-20% of the Phenoms performance. You should look in your BIOS and see if you can find any setting to turn that off, the TLB will probably never effect you anyways. Also if your able to overclock, try and overclock your processor.

Just so you know the E8500 does make the Phenom look bad in most games, it also beats Intels quads in most games due to its higher clock frequency. Most games currently don't take advantage of more than 2 cores, once more games come out that truely utilize more than 2 cores, the slower clocked quads will out perform the faster duel cores in new games.