Sign in with
Your question

X58 motherboards for water cool fanatics?

Last response: in Motherboards
February 16, 2009 9:05:38 AM

I am trying to switch to an i7/X58 solution and I am having a lot of trouble because of a number of requirements I have:

1) I use SLI with water cooling (and currently it takes up 2 slots per card).
2) I like to avoid "on board" sound solutions, so I have a Razer barracuda soundcard.
3) My case seems to be a little small for motherboards having the 3rd PCI slot right at the bottom so I cannot use that for one of the graphics cards.

I usually go Asus, but the Rampage layout wont work. Gigabyte extreme looks nice for a water cooler .... but same problem. The MSI comes with an XFI card that fits above the graphics cards, so thats an option but I have heard they dont overclock quite as well. Im now looking at "DFI LanParty UT X58-T3eH8" as an option but they are an unknown for me. The layout looks way better for me, but frankly I am going to hate choosing it purely because I want a soundcard AND graphics cards.

Is it me or is it getting harder and harder to find motherboards that will fit the basics? Years ago I could fit in a soundcard, a matrox graphics card, 2 voodoos in SLI, a network card, an ISDN card and still have space for an extra card if someone invented something else I didn't need .... But now I can get a nothing but the graphics cards in before I have run out of room/slots.
February 16, 2009 9:09:41 AM

Ok I forgot the P6T deluxe.... technically I can get the soundcard just between the two SLI cards, but then I cannot use the 3rd SLI for a cheap PHYSX card because the second graphics card will block it.
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
February 16, 2009 9:57:50 AM

Hw abt the EVGA??
EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
Heard they also overclock well...The DFI is also a grt board though...
February 16, 2009 11:17:23 AM

I was about to reply that the EVGA board isnt available in my country yet but I just found one :)  Ill check out the reviews on that too as it has a similar layout. But you may also have a good point regarding the DFI board, the more I look at it the more I like it. The cooling solution looks interesting although Im unsure how good it is, but perhaps I can skip the watercooling of the motherboard.

I am also looking into flatter watercooling solutions, because I may use an old 8800 as a PHYSX card.

What I really need though is a whole new motherboard size standard to appear with twice as many slots :) 
!