Sign in with
Your question

Lets make an OVERCLOCKING guide section....

Last response: in Overclocking
February 8, 2010 5:56:25 PM

Lets see if we can gather all the good information on overclocking the i7's especially some of the stuff that overshocked has written and compile it all into a QUESTIONS ABOUT OVERCLOCKING??? READ THIS FIRST sticky. He has and others have written great things about what the values mean and how to do it. It just think it would be wise to put it all on one forum. There are many people asking some of the same questions that can be answered by these write ups.... If anyone wants to add to them them we can...... but i think it would help keep the forum cleaner... and get down to some specific questions and not general.....

Just my thought... anyone else think this is a good idea???
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2010 6:14:20 PM

I think it is a great Idea... The same goes for the Phenoms... I am currently working on the Overclocking Guide for AM3 chips, hopefully it will be done by the end of Feb, I have too many things going on at the same time!!

We need a sticky that say's "READ BEFORE YOU ASK ANYTHING" ......
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2010 6:15:54 PM

OvrClkr said:

In triple size font!
Related resources
February 8, 2010 7:47:13 PM

I just think I would help everyone out... not that we all don't mind giving people advice but if it is the same thing over and over... put it up and then we can get down to the real problems people are having with their overclocks... like boot issues with high clocks or bios values... etc....

Yes inlcude AMD too!!!
I guess we need someone to up keep on the post too... provide links, update when needed, so on so forth.... MODS?? any Ideas on the best way to do this??
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2010 9:36:04 PM

I think it is a great idea! I feel like my most cherished guide; "what does what" is lost among all the other threads.
February 8, 2010 11:30:22 PM

Yeah it is a really awsome guide that has some great info!!
a b å Intel
a c 197 K Overclocking
February 8, 2010 11:33:06 PM

Contrary opinion:
I doubt if it would do any real good.

We have just two homebuilt forums here. And many still post, "Computer won't POST. Help!" - without reading the stickies.

It's a good idea, and I'll support it, but I do not think it will make much difference.
February 9, 2010 12:40:52 AM

Well at least gather all the info into one spot might help then we can just post a link to it and tell them to read first.
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2010 12:52:13 AM

overshocked said:
I think it is a great idea! I feel like my most cherished guide; "what does what" is lost among all the other threads.

Its not lost, the problem is that many want to be spoon-fed... It needs to be stickied ;) 
February 9, 2010 12:54:34 AM

OvrClkr said:
Its not lost, the problem is that many want to be spoon-fed... It needs to be stickied ;) 

Yeah it does!!
a b å Intel
a c 197 K Overclocking
February 9, 2010 4:41:03 PM

Agreed. Many, not all mind you, but many just want a quick cookbook solution.
February 9, 2010 5:49:43 PM

True and you can't do that... it takes time, trial and error... they need to remember every component is a little diffrent... even when comparing two i7 920 chips.
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2010 11:03:20 PM

I agree it wouldnt do much good concerning stupid posts, but some great guides end up being lost and nobody can find them.

We should just start a thread that has links to all the guides in it, then sticky that thread. Agree?
February 9, 2010 11:40:11 PM

I think that will work overshocked.... can you gather the ones you wrote and post them here? I have a few of them but not sure if i have them all... I guess I will create the post that we can sticy... what should the title be so we can draw attention to it??
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2010 11:55:36 PM

OvrClkr said:
I think it is a great Idea... The same goes for the Phenoms... I am currently working on the Overclocking Guide for AM3 chips, hopefully it will be done by the end of Feb, I have too many things going on at the same time!!

First you need some AMD guide writters like you which I haven't seen any so far.

Maybe Intel owners are more generous in helping others. :p 
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2010 12:00:24 AM

@jack
I think that may be a little daunting if we do it that way. WE would definetly need to orginize it better and give a 1-2 sentence summary of what the thread is about.

@ Bigstott
Look at my sig for all the guides, the only two that it is missing is the...
Sub-z insulation thread-Not on these forums yet, but i have it written so i will post it on here soon, as some might find it interesting.
http://ovaclockers.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtop...

And the case airflow guide:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/256915-29-case-airflo...
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2010 12:07:09 AM

Maybe Intel owners are more generous in helping others. :p said:

LOL, or mebe there is a difference in the market share. ;) 
February 10, 2010 12:11:28 AM

Ok sounds good... What are you thinking for a title??
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2010 12:29:25 AM

~Great list of overclocking help threads~

I dunno, but make it evident that they can give you links to other guides to add onto the list.
February 10, 2010 12:49:37 AM

Ok Check it out and tell me what you think!
The ultimate Guide forum
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2010 2:10:38 AM

andy5174 said:
First you need some AMD guide writters like you which I haven't seen any so far.

People are just hesitant to post a guide, I am working on one that will have Bios pics and graphs, the problem with AMD is that as far as the SB700/SB750 you have tons of voltages and other values compared to the Nvidia chipsets which are a piece of cake to overclock and or tinker with ;) 

The Nvidia Chipset part is done, still working on the SB700/SB750 section :) 
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2010 2:20:26 AM

I think if i bought an amd i would totally suck at overclocking it for the first 6 months i had it, dude. The major bonus though, is no cold bug.
Is your chip relatively good compared to others ovrclkr?
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2010 2:37:52 AM

As far as my B50 I dont think so (most 550's can achieve more or less the same clocks), you can't really expect much for 99$ (currently at 89.99$)

4Ghz is enough for my needs, of course I am waiting on the dam C3 555be that was supposed to come out back in DEC of last year, was going to try for 4.5Ghz on AIR but it seems that AMD is not going to release them unless someone has heard otherwise....

I guess Bulldozer will be the next big thing for AMD....Can't wait =)
February 10, 2010 2:46:34 AM

OvrClkr said:
People are just hesitant to post a guide, I am working on one that will have Bios pics and graphs, the problem with AMD is that as far as the SB700/SB750 you have tons of voltages and other values compared to the Nvidia chipsets which are a piece of cake to overclock and or tinker with ;) 

The Nvidia Chipset part is done, still working on the SB700/SB750 section :) 

When you finish with your guide let me know and i will add it to the Ultimate Guide Forum I just created... Maybe get it stickied...
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2010 2:54:18 AM

bigstott said:
When you finish with your guide let me know and i will add it to the Ultimate Guide Forum I just created... Maybe get it stickied...

link?
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2010 2:55:27 AM

JofaMang said:
In triple size font!

lol! with the letters glowing in bright green ;) 
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2010 3:26:38 AM

Clkr, bull dozer is their 32nm, correct?
Arnt they making 6-core 45nm in may?
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2010 3:37:36 AM

overshocked said:
Clkr, bull dozer is their 32nm, correct?
Arnt they making 6-core 45nm in may?

Bulldozer is a 32nm beauty that arrives in 2011 for both servers and desktops, as the 16-core Opteron processor codenamed Interlagos and as the 4- or 8-core desktop processor codenamed Zambezi [:lectrocrew:6]

Once that CPU drops, all hell will break loose :sol: 

Check it out :

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=367...

AFAIK Thuban "Phenom x6" should be out in a few months
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2010 3:49:20 AM

Wow dude! We really need a new 3dmark, vantage only takes up to 12 threads!
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2010 3:54:36 AM

yep, well I dont really think Thuban will be anything earth shattering, maybe better for cini-benching/rendering/encoding... as far as gaming goes my B50 will give it a run for its money =)
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2010 3:57:08 AM

I like the cleanliness of amd chips. Everything is done the way it should be, nobody thinks about it when they buy hardware.

Amd does fusion where they put the gpu and thw cpu on the same die where intel makes it so there are 2 separate cores on the chip.

Intel does ht to cope with mutli threaded programs while amd does it right, where they actually present more hardware.

Cant wait for 32nm from both manufacturers though. Especially the x58 32nm chips.
February 10, 2010 4:01:15 AM

It would have to be in a logical chart format bec there are so many variations/combinations and permutations on the actual process.... for example, what if my motherboard is limited(which mine actually is)... therefore, there are several options and subsections.... this guide will have to be huge and too big for a simple fourm... it needs to be made on an excel or PDF format.....
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2010 4:01:45 AM

Suposedly Thuban is going to be optimized specifically for DX11, not sure how the 6 cores will actually have a part in this but it is interesting. AMD is suposed to surpass Intel on the performance side with the new arch, IMO that is impossible.. we will just have to wait n see =)

More info on Thuban :

Quote:
With six physical cores AMD will be able to demonstrate rather high performance in multi-tasking and applications that need to execute numerous threads at once. Moreover, as future video games that rely on DirectX 11 start to arrive, the advantages provided by six-core Thuban and Istanbul processors will be even more apparent.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20090901145236...
!