Sign in with
Your question

Avoiding asrock

Last response: in Motherboards
February 16, 2009 9:34:26 AM

Hello. I'm sometimes building computers for friends and collegues. And I've noticed that there are 3 brands of motherboard I'm usually avoiding.

Asus - because I've never seen an asus board with a layout I like.
Gigabyte - because although I like the quality, they're just too expensive for the budgets I'm working with.
Asrock - because I'm just scared they'd have wierd features I'd miss when browsing the specs.

I know people could get the idea to start arguing about gigabyte pricing, or asus layouts. But leave those two be. I am interested in knowing if I'm the only hobby builder that is avoiding asrock.
And to be clear - I don't have anything against asrock per se, I'm just scared of their rather curious boards that I've had or seen over the past couple years. I stopped buying asrock boards in 2006 or so when I had invested in a sli board that I when it arrived learned only supported sli on geforce 6600 or older cards (and I meant to play a 7900gt setup).
Anyway. I like that asrock dares try wierd stuff like pairing the most unreasonable slots and stuff, but I'm just too scared to invest in their boards, although they are cheaper than the rest. Who knows if a new am2+ board suddenly supports ddr1 memory via a converter, or agp or doesn't support dual channel, or perhaps requires quadchannel memory etc ...

So. Do I get spooked too easily, or is there a reason to actually avoid them? Have I perhaps only noticed their frankenstein models, or are all models something a nerd dreamed up while on lsd?

More about : avoiding asrock

February 16, 2009 9:41:01 AM

There's a reason they're cheaper.
February 16, 2009 9:43:11 AM

Ye I suppose so, but soltek used to be a cheap board too, and every soltek board I've had or otherwise had my fingers at were awesome.... so cheap isn't nessecarily bad. If cheap means ecs or matsonic, then sure it is bad, but it doesn't always have to be.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 16, 2009 9:44:08 AM

Spooked? Frankenstein models? Timothy Leary chief technical consultant for ASUS? I'm surprised your bong didn't live up to technical expectations.
February 16, 2009 10:01:50 AM

Asrock has a history of being poor builds and a lot of probs but they seem to have sorted it out since the last year or so. They make decent motherboards that a reasonably priced. I use gigabyte for the reason you mentioned, being very good and reliable especially when oc'ing. :) 
This year prolly no upgrading my system but if the prices are right and I have some spare money then I am going to build me an i7 core system with a gigabyte p55 mobo :) 
February 16, 2009 10:12:16 AM

@ badge : Can you please spell out your last message in childfriendly words? I don't seem to understand what you meant. I'm not good with names though, so I don't know that Timothy dude.

@ 2shea : Personally I'm sticking to gigabyte boards too, but most I'm building computers for don't have as high requirements, or budgets, as I do. When you've got a couple kids and a car to pay for you might just find yourself content with a 30% cheaper msi board.
April 8, 2009 7:15:57 AM

Hey, 2shea, from where did you have that "history of being poor builds and a lot of probs" for AsRock?! From Forums? You should know that (no offense of any kind guys!) about 70% of forum participants DON'T know what they are doing, or worse, what they are saying. about 20% have some knowledge and only 10% know what they are saying and what they are doing. AsRck are making very reliable and cheap motherboards. And, yes, those motherboards ARE NOT FOR ENTHUSIASTS! But those people are NOT important except for MB manufacturers and retail stores. I like to overclock my rigs but this is a short-time fun and I never considered it important because for "production" things (the only important things) you don't need "enthusiast" MB. To bad that nVidia destroyed Uli with which AsRock was started an amaizing partnership. From my point of view- I will never forgive Nvidia They got dirty by their market practices. But, hey, I think I've got little aside the subject and maybe too emotional
April 8, 2009 7:19:49 AM

neiroatopelcc said:
@ badge : Can you please spell out your last message in childfriendly words? I don't seem to understand what you meant. I'm not good with names though, so I don't know that Timothy dude.

@ 2shea : Personally I'm sticking to gigabyte boards too, but most I'm building computers for don't have as high requirements, or budgets, as I do. When you've got a couple kids and a car to pay for you might just find yourself content with a 30% cheaper msi board.

GOOD POINT for BOTH !!
April 8, 2009 8:32:36 AM

@ Dargo : I may counter your question to those claiming the boards are poor. You mention a lot of numbers, but where have you gotten those ? from the same unreliable forums? You see - that's the only place we can get info, even if biased.

Anyway. I don't really dislike asrock. Sure I was very disappointed by the board I used for my opty - because they promised sli, and couldn't deliver, and because it was very limited in cpu voltage, and because it had a shitload of jumpers and wierd features that nobody could explain. But the board worked until I sold it, and probably still does. I'm just kinda afraid to buy another of their boards because they don't do things the normal way. They add wierd features. It'd almost be a given that they at some point release an i7 board with agp and isa support along with 2 pcie x16 slots or something .... or make a board that either runs i7 or am3 ....

ps. I've seen serveral asrock boards die in acer aspire computers, so they're not perfect either. But then I'm sure even a gigabyte board can fail from time to time.
April 8, 2009 3:38:19 PM

used to run an asrock 939 board for my old pc, solid performer and very happy with it, had a bunch of jumpers for adding a am2 cpu board to it which i never used but also had both pci-e and agp video support which did come in handy.

i think the only issue i had was when i fitted a third party cpu cooler and i had to trim the northbridge cooler to make it fit, but that was my fault for not checking first.
April 8, 2009 7:13:58 PM

neiroatopelcc said:
@ Dargo : I may counter your question to those claiming the boards are poor. You mention a lot of numbers, but where have you gotten those ? from the same unreliable forums? You see - that's the only place we can get info, even if biased.

Anyway. I don't really dislike asrock. Sure I was very disappointed by the board I used for my opty - because they promised sli, and couldn't deliver, and because it was very limited in cpu voltage, and because it had a shitload of jumpers and wierd features that nobody could explain. But the board worked until I sold it, and probably still does. I'm just kinda afraid to buy another of their boards because they don't do things the normal way. They add wierd features. It'd almost be a given that they at some point release an i7 board with agp and isa support along with 2 pcie x16 slots or something .... or make a board that either runs i7 or am3 ....

ps. I've seen serveral asrock boards die in acer aspire computers, so they're not perfect either. But then I'm sure even a gigabyte board can fail from time to time.

First: Well, those number are pure personal and I've got them filtering hundreds of posts from different forums, trough my experience (I was maintaining and building computers since "Intel 286 DX"). Yes, you are perfectly right, the forums are all we have. But what I am trying t say is that too any individuals, lacking even the computer's basics, are trying to actually build computers and, then are filling-up forums with their anger and disappointing (which is the result of their lack of knowledge!). I am pointing ESPECIALLY the reviewers. My point is that if you are posting to whichever forum you MUST have a certain level of responsibility and respect for the other members of community. This is NOT necessarily only about speak nicely but also to provide honest and, as much as possible, UNBIASED reviews or/and opinions.
Second: I really don't know what do you mean by "weird features that nobody could explain" and "they don't do things the normal way". AsRock are trying to do boards for low-budget or on budget people and still give performance. And they proved to be able to do it. If you are referring to AGP, let me tell you that AGP is NOT dead and certainly is not dying (at least until interested Companies will not FORCE it to die!). Personally, I DON'T see much improvements from PCI-e and especially from multi-core processors because of application developers. If you don't have software to see AND use all the cores, then they are useless.But, again, I think I stepped again aside. This subject could take many hours to discuss and I think this is if not the place, then not the time to do it. Seeya and stay sharp and...knowledgeable.
April 9, 2009 9:32:00 AM

Let me break your response into a few seperate topics.

1) So you're backing your claim of forums being unreliable by using numbers you've gathered from reading forums. I understand what you mean, but it still sounds a bit ironic to me. Except for the accuracy of the numbers I'm sure you're right though.

2) You're claiming that the reviews here are biased? While I've read most of the reviews posted here recently, I can tell you that almost never are. There is ofcourse a certain amount of bias everywhere, but it's such a low factor that you'd have to look for it to find a trace. It's different with us normal users obviously. I would always be attacking apple if I found something to attack, which I always do. Others have other things to attack or defend. That's normal, and seen everywhere in life, not just on forums. People have opinions, and the more information (right or wrong) you have available the more opinions you have.

3) Asrock doesn't produce cheap and well performing boards. They produce cheap standard boards. Think of it like an ecs board that just doesn't nessecarily break down. And in addition they create those frankenstein boards with a wierd set of features like a board running an am2 processor on a converter with ddr1, or a board with both agp and pcie, or a board with all kinds of other freak stuff. And they ofcourse employ a website as poor as their asus masters, albeit faster.

4) You claim agp is not dead? My parents have a 7600 card on agp, and it's very much dead! When my dad plays company of heroes it looks aweful, and it's still running too slow. And anyway, even pcie v1 is too slow. Check the bandwidth review from q4 2008 I think it was. I could add another 4870 to my system, but my p35 only has 4x pcie v1 on the other slot, so it wouldn't work anywhere near as fast as it should.
4) You claim one cant use the bandwidth before one has employed all cores? While its true that a system of serveral g200 chips or a couple x2's might run into cpu limitations, most systems won't, cause even with just two cores you can game at 1680 without problems. There are exceptions ofcourse, but in general any 2008 or 2009 cpu can run a decent gaming card without problems. My old brisbane can't supply enough data to a 8800gtx or the hd4870, but it's a very old 1.9ghz dualcore .... and a modern one runs 2.7 (amd) or 2.6-3ghz (intel) at stock speeds.

April 13, 2009 12:04:03 AM

neiroatopelcc said:
Let me break your response into a few seperate topics.

1) So you're backing your claim of forums being unreliable by using numbers you've gathered from reading forums. I understand what you mean, but it still sounds a bit ironic to me. Except for the accuracy of the numbers I'm sure you're right though.

2) You're claiming that the reviews here are biased? While I've read most of the reviews posted here recently, I can tell you that almost never are. There is ofcourse a certain amount of bias everywhere, but it's such a low factor that you'd have to look for it to find a trace. It's different with us normal users obviously. I would always be attacking apple if I found something to attack, which I always do. Others have other things to attack or defend. That's normal, and seen everywhere in life, not just on forums. People have opinions, and the more information (right or wrong) you have available the more opinions you have.

3) Asrock doesn't produce cheap and well performing boards. They produce cheap standard boards. Think of it like an ecs board that just doesn't nessecarily break down. And in addition they create those frankenstein boards with a wierd set of features like a board running an am2 processor on a converter with ddr1, or a board with both agp and pcie, or a board with all kinds of other freak stuff. And they ofcourse employ a website as poor as their asus masters, albeit faster.

4) You claim agp is not dead? My parents have a 7600 card on agp, and it's very much dead! When my dad plays company of heroes it looks aweful, and it's still running too slow. And anyway, even pcie v1 is too slow. Check the bandwidth review from q4 2008 I think it was. I could add another 4870 to my system, but my p35 only has 4x pcie v1 on the other slot, so it wouldn't work anywhere near as fast as it should.
4) You claim one cant use the bandwidth before one has employed all cores? While its true that a system of serveral g200 chips or a couple x2's might run into cpu limitations, most systems won't, cause even with just two cores you can game at 1680 without problems. There are exceptions ofcourse, but in general any 2008 or 2009 cpu can run a decent gaming card without problems. My old brisbane can't supply enough data to a 8800gtx or the hd4870, but it's a very old 1.9ghz dualcore .... and a modern one runs 2.7 (amd) or 2.6-3ghz (intel) at stock speeds.

Why I have a vague impression that your replicas are slightly aside my statements?! To get it straight:
1-I DIDN'T said the forums are unreliable. What I was saying is that TOO many participants are lacking basic computer knowledge and still are making statements, complaining the products are bad or even stating reviews usually bad reviews, about them. And this is bad for forums, because forums are made (in my vision, at least) not only to share...good or bad experience but also competence and advices. And about those numbers... I don't know why are they bothering you so much. Again, those numbers ARE NOT from forums (I am NOT a "copy and paste" guy!) are inspired from VARIOUS forums (not only this one) and generated by my experience AND COMMON SENSE.

2- I really don't get it! On one hand you say I am "claiming" the reviews are biassed This automatically put a question mark on the validity of my afirmation. On the other hand , imediately, you comme back and say, of course they are biassed. Make your mind, for the GOD (and the forum's) sake! Anyway, If you are going to write a review, you MUST do your homework and you MUST be OBJECTIVE (as much as possible) in order to do a service to the community, manufacturer and to .. yourself!

3- Again, you don't have enough patience to read everything I wrote. I sayd AsRock are making low-budget but still giving performance motherboards. You are stating that they are making cheap standard boards. What should I understand from this? That "standard" motherboards are bad motherboards? In my perception, "standard" motherboards have the most common (usual or basic) features. This is (or it should be) the first level in the quality hierarchy Starting with this level, any board MUST be working out from the box. Otherwise, they are crappy and the manufacturer must have serious QC issues (see lately products from far more prestigious manufacturers like: Abit, Asus and.. Gigabyte). You must be kidding comparing AsRock with ECS! AsRock are FAR more reliable even though I had and I still have ECS MB that are still working. With ECS i always a lottery. And those freak things that the AsRock mb are coming with are called hybrid technology and are coming to help those low-budget people they are made for, to keep up with the stupidity and aggressive of certain manufacturers who are changing expensive computing platforms over night. you should know what I am talking about. do you!

4- I was talking about AGP platform. I have a system like this: Abit NF7, Athlon XP (2 Ghz), 2 Gb DDR, and... Albatron 6800 GT videocard. I can play very stable and flawless Call Of Duty 4 at game (base) optimized settings and I doesn't look bad at all! (on a 17" 1280x1024 lcd monitor). What can I say more? I personally doesn't care about numbers as long they are not supported by real world experience. When you jump to a new and costly technology you expect large improvements as you spent hundreds of dollars on it. What if iy doesn't? As homework, I'll give you the subject: I7 platform (as hardware) correlated with the existing or future software. As I stated before, it doesn't make any sense to have multi-core if the software doesn't know how to use all those cores! And ..... do you REALLY need it anyway?! Think about it. Seeya!
April 13, 2009 4:40:54 PM

Ya man... Asrock sucks. ASUS is the best ever. Only homos don't like they're layout cause all the most used features are near the edges for easy cable management.
April 16, 2009 11:39:27 AM

To Whom it may concern,

I have just recently had a terrible ordeal with Gigabyte company. I purchased a brand new board..ran well till the LAN connection went out on it. I had to go out and purchase a NIC card just to get a connection. I RMA'd the board to the company...4 weeks later the board came back and still wasnt fixed. I called the company, they told me the board was fixed. NOT !!!! I didnt have time for this, so I re-invested in a DFI board in which I called and spoke to someone at the compnay prior to purchase. Well I have to say the DFI board went to RMA> DFI has a great sales team and NO SUPPORT TEAM!!! I jad called left my number and no call backs. If the RMA board doesnt work im going to ASRock. I hope that this will enlighten people with these same issues with board manufacturers. Where is the U>S> in curbing this NO SUPPORT? I hope this board works out for me...it is costing me a small bundle re-investing in boards since the manufacturer doesnt have a support team.
!