Sign in with
Your question

Best Heatsink for $30-40?

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2010 7:36:41 PM

Well, I hate to say it, but the title pretty much says it all here. I've got a decent build together using an AMD Phenom II X4 955, but have been hopelessly searching through roundups and reviews for a good CPU cooler.
I've heard good things about the Hyper 212+, but I don't know if it's good enough to heavily overclock my CPU with. Right now, I'm considering a Xigmatek HDT-S1283... it seems to be effective for OCing, and is $39.66 on NewEgg, plus a $10 rebate. Any better suggestions than this? I just can't push myself to read any more reviews on coolers...

More about : heatsink

a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2010 7:47:13 PM

Get a Core Contact Freezer 120mm.
a b K Overclocking
February 8, 2010 8:01:03 PM

Any performance benchmarks on that?
Related resources
February 8, 2010 8:52:00 PM

And the fan blows the heat out the back on an AMD system unlike the Xigmatek HDT-S1283...
February 8, 2010 10:50:36 PM

CCF all the way, just make sure it can fit (well make suer any heatsink can fit)
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2010 12:05:51 AM

Yeah, I guess it's best not to overlook the obvious. I'm assuming that the CCF would fit in an Antec 900 Case? Seems like one of the larger cases out there for the price...
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2010 12:11:56 AM

...and how well would the CCF fare under heavy overclocking?
February 9, 2010 12:27:27 AM

I wouldn't be so worried about it fitting in the case as much as getting in the way of your mem slots. Check out overschocked ocing

"1. OverShocked------4.758Ghz -i7 920 D0-1.435v-Air Cooled"

I'm pretty sure that was done on a ccf, hold on I'll check
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2010 3:21:43 PM

CCF or 212+ you can't go wrong with either.....
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2010 3:38:18 PM

I'll let you know how my $22 Scythe Samurai Zz performs when I install my c3 955 in a couple days. If it can't hold up I too shall be in the market for a cheap HSF, heh.
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2010 7:27:05 AM

I'm liking my Scythe Mugen 2. I'm using an Antec 902 case, so I can confirm that it indeed fits. However, it does block you from having a side fan. If you're using the fan(s) in a horizontal orientation, the push fan can block the two RAM slots closest to the CPU, unless they are low-profile RAM (like the normal G.skill or Mushkin RAM). If you use the fan(s) in a vertical orientation, you don't have to worry about the RAM being blocked. The nice thing is that either horizontal or vertical configurations result in the same load temps. @1.55V, I get a max load temp of 55°C with all fans set on low.

Currently sold out, but should be back soon:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It performs in the same level as the CCF and 212+, but if you use two fans in a push/pull config, it can outperform them.
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2010 7:38:31 AM

I too am planning to get an HSF upgrade from my current Xigmatek SD-964. I am looking at the Dark Knight S1283V over the standard 1283 since it has higher fan speed and I assume this will contribute to lower temperature even at highest OC. I choose it over V8 and Hyper 212 due to easy install factor ( I do not want to remove my board from the case ). Anyone can say a bad thing to this cooler?
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2010 1:53:43 PM

^ Four words: Push pins are cr@p.

Take the board out and get a back plate based mounting system on it.
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2010 2:44:05 PM

^Do you mean push pins in general or just for the Xigmatek Dark Knight 1283? It actually installs very easy on AMD just by the clip. The SD-964 installation is quite sturdy and I expect the same for the S1283. I think having to take my rig apart again to install the back plate based mounting is too much work when I can do it just by the AMD clip.
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2010 3:41:27 PM

randomkid said:
^Do you mean push pins in general or just for the Xigmatek Dark Knight 1283? It actually installs very easy on AMD just by the clip. The SD-964 installation is quite sturdy and I expect the same for the S1283. I think having to take my rig apart again to install the back plate based mounting is too much work when I can do it just by the AMD clip.

He means in General, push pins suck... A mounting bracket with 4 thumb-screws/conventional screws is what you want ;) 

I clean out my PC every 3 months (remove EVERYTHING), it is not too much work if you love working with PC's....

a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2010 10:21:12 PM

Yeah.. I love working with it... It s just that I get nervous when I take it apart whether somehow it will stop working just like I see some others post problems right after they clean up. Specially if it involves taking out the mounting bracket or much more the heatsink.

But come to think of it, I never thought I will overclock, put a heatsink in the first place and come to forum to discuss PC stuff... but here I am, anyway...

So, yeah... I will think about it..
February 10, 2010 10:27:53 PM

Great tips and thanks for sharing.

KG
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2010 11:17:26 PM

randomkid said:
Yeah.. I love working with it... It s just that I get nervous when I take it apart whether somehow it will stop working just like I see some others post problems right after they clean up. Specially if it involves taking out the mounting bracket or much more the heatsink.

But come to think of it, I never thought I will overclock, put a heatsink in the first place and come to forum to discuss PC stuff... but here I am, anyway...

So, yeah... I will think about it..

look, I was the same when I built my first PC... You need to relax and make sure you are grounded (use a static strap (if on carpet) or at least touch the PSU before you touch the board, from there on everything else is butter.. ;) 
a b K Overclocking
February 11, 2010 2:01:00 AM

Thanks... Yeah, I guess so too... :) 

I do feel the rush when you take it apart, put it together again and it works... makes you wanna do a victory dance ha ha ha!
a b K Overclocking
February 11, 2010 9:53:05 AM

I was pretty scared about opening and moving stuff around my PC first time I built it. After reading all the stuff in these forums, it's been reassuring that I can do whatever I want, as long as I always keep myself grounded, especially since my room is on carpet. It's been about 5 months since I built my PC and it's my first one as well. :) 
February 11, 2010 4:02:59 PM

someguynamedmatt said:
Well, I hate to say it, but the title pretty much says it all here. I've got a decent build together using an AMD Phenom II X4 955, but have been hopelessly searching through roundups and reviews for a good CPU cooler.
I've heard good things about the Hyper 212+, but I don't know if it's good enough to heavily overclock my CPU with. Right now, I'm considering a Xigmatek HDT-S1283... it seems to be effective for OCing, and is $39.66 on NewEgg, plus a $10 rebate. Any better suggestions than this? I just can't push myself to read any more reviews on coolers...

Do not look anywhere else and get the CM Hyper 212+
This is best heatsink at this price range
Trust me
!