Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Phenom II 720 OC quirks?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 8, 2010 9:54:04 PM

For starters my system specs, at least whats relevant:

Motherboard: ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition Heka 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor Model HDZ720WFK3DGI - OEM

Ram: Crucial 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model CT25664BA1067 - Retail

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212+
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long ... - Retail

Now to the problems.

1. Starting at stock speeds and slowly upping the clock and voltages my highest 12 hour prime 95 stable clock is 3.4, which seems low to me. And even though its prime 95 stable it will randomly hang and freeze, with no correlation to cpu load.

CPU Speed: 3.4Ghz
Voltage: 1.425v
Max Idle Temp 32C
Max Load Temp 46C

2. I can unlock the 4th core fairly easily and overclock to 3.6ghz (which as you notice is higher than with the core disabled!) 24 hour prime 95 stable. But it hangs and freezes as aforementioned.

CPU Speed 3.6Ghz
Voltage: 1.475v
NB speed: 2.2ghz
NB Voltage: 1.2v
Max Idle Temp 34C
Max Load Temp 46C

ALL overclocking was done VIA Multiplier

At stock speeds ive run prime 95 for 24 hours as well, and it does NOT hang and freeze randomly. Additionally i can overclock to 3.0 or unlock and unclock to 3.0 without the freezing as well. Whats the deal with this? I can provide any further information upon request sans screenshots, as i am at work. Thanks in advance for your time.

Edited Temps in.
Edited for multiplier

More about : phenom 720 quirks

February 8, 2010 11:08:27 PM

Um I'm somehow doubting your CPU vid is 4 volts,

Anyway try backing off of any NB or memory oc's and see if your computer doesn't do the hang thing, I think it might have to do with the link which if it gets too high can cause issues.
m
l
February 8, 2010 11:17:09 PM

tkgclimb said:
Um I'm somehow doubting your CPU vid is 4 volts,

Anyway try backing off of any NB or memory oc's and see if your computer doesn't do the hang thing, I think it might have to do with the link which if it gets too high can cause issues.

Apologies! voltages fixed. Also my memory is set to stock and the 3.6 oc was not stable without the small tweaks i made to the nb speed and voltage. with this taken away it resulted in bsod before windows would load into the desktop.
m
l
Related resources
February 8, 2010 11:22:32 PM

the freezing is the strange thing, I'm going to say the noob thing here so don't take offense

Bios and drivers all good?

Whats the HT link at (shouldn't have changed since all you did was multiplier but still)
m
l
February 8, 2010 11:40:29 PM

tkgclimb said:
the freezing is the strange thing, I'm going to say the noob thing here so don't take offense

Bios and drivers all good?

Whats the HT link at (shouldn't have changed since all you did was multiplier but still)

HT link is still at stock 200mhz i think, or 2000mhz one of the two. (get it mixed up with bus)
This depends on your definition of good, All drivers are up to date as far as my knowledge. I just purchased the motherboard a week ago, i used the provided disc for the Bios. To clarify, i am unaware of any prudent bios updates, as i have not checked their website. This is something i have not thought of though thank you for steering me that direction. Investigating....
m
l
February 9, 2010 12:13:44 AM

Thats sounds right for an HT link on a 720 my 945's got the same I think a 955 boosts it up to 2600. Anyway the ratio between ht link and bus is bus x link multi (simple huh) if you oc your bus and leave the multi the same you can get weird issues

How is the CPU at 3.2/3.3 still weird hold ups.
m
l
February 9, 2010 12:37:17 AM

tkgclimb said:
Thats sounds right for an HT link on a 720 my 945's got the same I think a 955 boosts it up to 2600. Anyway the ratio between ht link and bus is bus x link multi (simple huh) if you oc your bus and leave the multi the same you can get weird issues

How is the CPU at 3.2/3.3 still weird hold ups.

My bios is the latest available for my motherboard.
3.3 /3.4 still gets the weird hangups after several hours of normal use (web browsing, listening to music, playing random source games) but is prime 95 steady for at least 16 hours. Which boggles my mind and lent me to believe it was a ram or some other issue as you first thought.

Also im at home now, if a CPUID screenie would be useful let me know.
m
l
February 9, 2010 12:47:13 AM

Yeah it would, but man I"m running out of ideas, what test on prime are you using?

A bios screen shot would help also, if it isn't too hard.

m
l
February 9, 2010 12:53:19 AM

tkgclimb said:
Yeah it would, but man I"m running out of ideas, what test on prime are you using?

Im using small FFT's, ive also ran Memtest through two full cycles and it returned no errors. Ive heard that the 720 can be finicky with heat, could that maybe be an issue? (refer to original post for temps) Additionally i dont think ive seen a single post ANYWHERE of someone using this board for ACC, or specifically for this CPU. Could it be a mobo issue? Sorry its just im less than excited with how much ive been able to overclock stably. Im thinking it may be ram as you said, ive underclocked the ram to ddr 800 and still get the hangs. Im ignorant as to the timings in regards to increasing stability and getting rid of the hangups though.
m
l
February 9, 2010 12:59:07 AM

Im willing to troubleshoot this to the point of no return, will follow directions and provide any and all necessary data/pictures. Will take this to IM for your convenience if necessary.
m
l
February 10, 2010 5:50:51 PM

tkgclimb said:
It's Ok, and I'm pretty bad with memory timings, might want to try someone else.

umm, have you disabled all the BIOS settings you should for ocing

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-phenom-pe...
here for some reference.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/unlock-phenom-ii,22...

Run blend just to see,

Whats the highest possible oc before it starts freezing, then what is the lowest OC when it starts freezing.

Try ocing from BIOS

screenshots?

Eureka! After an extensive trial and error session yesterday, it occurred to me to try using a different video card, and walah no more hanging and freezing while using 2d applications. My graphics card (8600gt) the weakest link in my system was causing the hangs and freezes, and coincidentally this happened right after the latest driver update. What im not completely sure on is why it was stable while the CPU was only mildly overclocked? Has to do with the increased amount/speed of data that could be sent to the graphics card? Anyways, this is now hopefully solved and i can safely report a 3.8 overclock and unlock to 4 cores, prime 95 going on 16 hours stable! Idle temps at 38C Load temps at 49c.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2010 5:54:10 PM

Awesome News!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 11, 2010 2:08:20 AM

Fromtheashes, can you post your settings for the 3.8Ghz stable OC? I'd like to have it as reference when I try to shoot for 3.8GHz with my unlocked 720 too. Thanks!
m
l
February 11, 2010 5:21:06 AM

NIce, I'm glad you got it fixed,

BTW what voltage is the 3.8 at, just curios
m
l
February 11, 2010 4:43:18 PM

tkgclimb said:
NIce, I'm glad you got it fixed,

BTW what voltage is the 3.8 at, just curios

1.525v. a little over whats usually recommended but my temps are still within safe parameters!
m
l
February 11, 2010 4:44:06 PM

Ill post a complete CPUID profile when i get home from work.

UPDATE: Still at work but my GF called me from home, she was doing some basic websurfing on my computer and it BSOD'd, this is prime 95 34 hours in. (I like to be thorough). She said it happened specifically when she clicked on "my computer". Ill investigate the stability of my system further when i get home, Just a quick edit to say that it may not be completely stable at 3.8 (i was unhappy with having to use over 1.5v anyways.)
m
l
February 11, 2010 9:52:27 PM

At 34 hours it might of even heated up your whole room, enough so that the temps were above what it could handle.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 11, 2010 9:52:29 PM

Well, 34 hours in prime95 should be called stable in my book. After all in real life applications no computer is stressed that long anyway specially in mission critical applications. So I believe it is still good OC.
m
l
February 11, 2010 11:47:48 PM

randomkid said:
Well, 34 hours in prime95 should be called stable in my book. After all in real life applications no computer is stressed that long anyway specially in mission critical applications. So I believe it is still good OC.

I generate alot of fractal art/video on my computer which can at the most require my cpu to be at load for weeks, so i need rock stability or an entire encoding session can be wasted. I will most likely back down on the overclock for stability purposes which will in turn increase the encoding time but at least i know it will be successful.

Edit: Ok its probably not full load like it was with my old processor amd athlon 64x2 3800 2.0ghz, but it should keep it working at a pretty high load.
m
l
February 12, 2010 1:37:53 AM

And now pictures as promised! Keep in mind these are after i have downlclocked the CPU to 3.7 for the aforementioned reasons.

Idle at the desktop

While rendering a Fractal AVI

Bios pic, notice i had to tweak my CPU NB speeds and voltage. Keep in mind this was NECESSARY for my stable OC.
m
l

Best solution

February 12, 2010 3:31:35 AM

well tweaking the NB is usually neccesary to have a stable OC, the only reason I was reccomending you back off up top is that you were having non-OC stability problems, that might have something to do with the HT link or other parameters affected by the NB.

It seems that you have the same problem as I do, CPU-z reads .05 volts higher
February 12, 2010 5:19:21 AM

tkgclimb said:
well tweaking the NB is usually neccesary to have a stable OC, the only reason I was reccomending you back off up top is that you were having non-OC stability problems, that might have something to do with the HT link or other parameters affected by the NB.

It seems that you have the same problem as I do, CPU-z reads .05 volts higher

Yeah i noticed that as well, weird....
m
l
February 12, 2010 10:39:52 PM

Best answer selected by Fromtheashes.
m
l
February 13, 2010 3:27:23 AM

Thanks
m
l