RAID 0 converted to Individual Drives

r0b3rt03

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
I currently have 2 Hitachi 2000GB SATA II 300MBps 7200RPM 32MB drives for which I purchased a Rosewill R2-JBOD 3.5" USB 2.0 DUAL-BAY External Enclosure
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182144.

I originally had the drives set up as 2 separate drives, but after a while I decided to combine them into RAID 0, which is an option by flipping a toggle switch on the inside of the Rosewill enclosure.

Soon after doing this, I was noticing some problems with the hard drives slowing my computer down almost to a stand-still at times and eventually the folders and icons under "My Computer" would not show up and I would be forced to reboot. Is this even possible that the hard drives were causing this? That is what I was told.

I have just recently backed up all of my files off the drives and changed the setting back to Individual Drives from RAID 0, however the data storage amounts for each drive is coming up with very strange numbers.

One drive is showing up as 3.63TB, which was the combined size of the drives, while the other is showing up as the proper size (1.81TB).

Should I be concerned about putting files and information on these drives? Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thank you in advance,
Robert Clark

r0b3rt03

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010

Thank you for the response. I tried reformatting the drives separately and have not gone through the process of checking the drives for errors.

For the one drive, I selected the following options under error-checking in disc properties:

"Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors"

This process took about 10 hours and told me that it had found some errors and that they were placed in a folder, but I cannot seem to find the folder anywhere. This also made the hard drive recognize the proper amount of space left on the drive (I think), but it still reads 3.63TB total, which is incorrect as they are formatted as 2 separate drives.

I am in the process of doing the same thing for the other drive, and I will see what happens soon. For this drive I only chose:

"Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors"

Should I be comfortable putting files back onto these drives or should I be looking to replace them?

sturm

Splendid
I would take the drives out of the usb case and try formatting them directly from the computer. It will be much faster. If they still don't format correctly then I would say something messed up on them in the usb case.