Sign in with
Your question

BIOS Values?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 8, 2010 10:40:09 PM

Okay i want to overclock my system for my 955. My motherboard is an Asus M4A79T Deluxe (with a broken 3 pin connector for the CPU fan :??:  ) and so far i have overclocked it to 3.71 Ghz semi-stable. The reason why it's semi-stable is that when i run the setting in prime 95 that says "Blend" it crashes and when i run the test called: "In Place Large FFT's" it works for hours on to count. That's a mystery to me..... but anyway i have some screenshots of my bios and please tell me what to enter in for the values. Also, i know that any kind of advanced clock calibration, even on auto, doesn't work.

Also when i put the CPU/NB frequency to 3200 mhz, my system crashes as well

plz help!!! i want to try for 4 ghz like all the i7's do but it may be that intel's are easier to overclock than AMD's.......i have a Zalman CNPS 9700 as my cooler

More about : bios values

February 8, 2010 11:03:55 PM

Try running small FFT's, if it doesn't crash there i'm going guess it's your memory or something on the mobo and not the CPU.

I'm assuming the default memory is 1600mhz, whats the default cpu/NB link. Should be like 2600 or something right.

I would try lowering all those ratio's memory, nb, to be certain it's the cpu that's causing the crash.

I"m assuming your temps are good.
m
l
February 8, 2010 11:22:12 PM

my temps are at 45 degrees C idle and 55-60 degrees load.....i dont know what is a memory/NB ratio and i dont know how to set them either
m
l
Related resources
February 8, 2010 11:31:44 PM

Well 60 is getting up there,

How did it do in small fft's?

try raising the CPU/NB frequency a little, you might also have to bump the voltage a little.

IS your memory at stock (should be).

If that doesn't work try lowering the ht link?

If it doesn't work lower the nb and the ht link

If you want you can try raising the ht link though I don't think I've ever heard of this stableing an OC.
m
l
February 8, 2010 11:38:27 PM

and, yes, SMALL FFT's work as well
m
l
February 8, 2010 11:41:35 PM

first of all, i dont know what's the stock NB frequency and/or the NB voltage so i'm afraid to mess with that

second of all, my memory SAYS 1600 mhz and that is supposedly supposed to be stock speed. But i have suspicions since few people on newegg say that they dont run @ stock speed

and finally HT link at 2600 mhz is maximum
m
l
February 8, 2010 11:41:59 PM

also, what's spread spectrum?
m
l
February 9, 2010 12:24:04 AM

Spread Spectrum his a method to "spread" a signal of a given bandwith, well alteast that's what I understand. why are you asking?

So I'm thinking memory or mobo because it seems your CPU is holding up.

The clock to memory ratio should be 1:4 (200mhz bus to 800mhz ram, remember x2 to get 1600), it might look different in your bios (under dram controller) try lowering it by one step. When you lower your mem speed you might have to lower your voltage too.

Google set values for your cpu and Nb you should be able to find them.

Maybe lower the ht link just too see, this really can't hurt your hardware .
m
l
February 9, 2010 12:39:32 AM

i just turned spread spectrum on just for fun....i didn't really know what it did

i'll look for the ratio but i dont get ur "X2" part of ur description of memory ratio and speed

also, i just put my cpu at 1.5 volts instead of 1.6 for heat and it runs fine.....btw i accidentally left Prime 95 with the small FFT's while i played Crysis for an hour and a half before i realized it....haha, the temperature was 61 degrees
m
l
February 9, 2010 12:43:59 AM

That's why small fft's are cool, anyway is the CPU stable at 3.7 and 1.5v?

The x2 is times two, in the dram controller it might say your memory speed is 800mhz well you know it's not, but remember it's double pumped so times two to get 1600mhz.

m
l
February 9, 2010 12:50:42 AM

oh okay, i saw that value in Speccy so i wuz just wondering....is it my RAM that's not stable or what?
m
l
February 9, 2010 12:54:37 AM

well it could be your ram or your NB, a lot of people mess with there nb to get a good OC, i'm trying to find a guide that explains this using a PII in detail but I can't.

Try turning down the ram, look at some of these configurations for an idea. BTW 4ghz is a lot to hit on a 955, so if you don't get there no worries 3.7 is plenty (especially if it's stable at 1.5v)

http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/499526-phenom-ii-x4-9...

After looking at some more oc's it seams that a 1.6 vcore is really high.

I'ts also not illegal to up your HT bus speed
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2010 1:03:06 AM

jeff77789 said:
Okay i want to overclock my system for my 955. My motherboard is an Asus M4A79T Deluxe (with a broken 3 pin connector for the CPU fan :??:  ) and so far i have overclocked it to 3.71 Ghz semi-stable. The reason why it's semi-stable is that when i run the setting in prime 95 that says "Blend" it crashes and when i run the test called: "In Place Large FFT's" it works for hours on to count. That's a mystery to me..... but anyway i have some screenshots of my bios and please tell me what to enter in for the values. Also, i know that any kind of advanced clock calibration, even on auto, doesn't work.

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx229/jeff77789/IMG_9066.jpg
http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx229/jeff77789/IMG_9069.jpg

Also when i put the CPU/NB frequency to 3200 mhz, my system crashes as well

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx229/jeff77789/IMG_9070.jpg

plz help!!! i want to try for 4 ghz like all the i7's do but it may be that intel's are easier to overclock than AMD's.......i have a Zalman CNPS 9700 as my cooler

First of all you have most of your values on AUTO... Do you think you will find stability without tweaking those values?

Brb, going to take some pics of my Bios to give you an idea of what you need ;) 

Here you go, try this :

forget about ACC, you dont need to touch any of those values, just make sure C1E and Cool n Quite are disabled....

Your CPU does not need 1.5v to operate at that clock, lower the voltage to at least 1.45/1.46v
m
l
February 9, 2010 1:24:18 AM

^Perfect, It's hard to convince people that some voltages need tweaking and some timings need upping without a real live example.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2010 1:26:00 AM

Well you cannot just leave EVERYTHING on "auto" and expect the board to pull a miracle... Hopefully he has the correct timings/frequency/ and voltage for his RAM .............
m
l
February 9, 2010 1:27:20 AM

well how did u get the "Extreme Tuner" to show up on ur BIOS??? i only have an AI tuner :o  :o  :o  :o  :o 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 9, 2010 1:36:01 AM

jeff77789 said:
well how did u get the "Extreme Tuner" to show up on ur BIOS??? i only have an AI tuner :o  :o  :o  :o  :o 

My Bios is a bit different than yours, I have the Crosshair III Formula ;) 

m
l
February 9, 2010 1:46:46 AM

Have you tried setting your ram @ 1066 instead of 1600 just to see if its the ram that's causing the lockups?

+10 points for Crosshair III
m
l
February 9, 2010 9:57:55 PM

wait...so how do u get the crosshair III?
m
l
a b À AMD
a c 145 K Overclocking
February 9, 2010 10:12:26 PM

Quote:
The reason why it's semi-stable is that when i run the setting in prime 95 that says "Blend" it crashes and when i run the test called: "In Place Large FFT's" it works for hours on to count. That's a mystery to me..

Read the on screen instructions for P95.....IIRC, Small FFT's stresses CPU, large FFT's stresses memory, and "blend" stresses both....It should run 12-18 hours on any of the settings, whichever one is failing points to your problem.

m
l
February 10, 2010 8:55:49 PM

okay...............is that the best im gonna get with my bios then?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2010 11:02:17 PM

jeff77789 said:
okay...............is that the best im gonna get with my bios then?

Did you at least try the above settings??^^^

m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 11, 2010 11:27:34 AM

Also, turn Spread Spectrum off. When you OC, it's recommended that you turn that off. It's only needed if you're having EMC problems, which most people don't have.

Your NB-CPU speed and HT-Link speed should be 2000mhz at stock speeds, but don't bother with them until you've got the rest of your OCs finalized. Make sure your NB freq. is equal to or higher than your HT link speed. Max they should go up to in stock voltage is 2200-2400mhz. NB freq= L3 cache's speed and HT Link speed= speed of your CPU's connection to the mobo. BTW most people hit a wall when their NB freq is around 2800-3000mhz, HT link can be kept at 2000mhz if you don't want to mess with it.

What RAM do you use? We can probably tell you the recommended timings and voltage for it.
m
l
!