• CPUs
  • Gaming
  • Quad Core
  • Dual Core
  • Performance
Last response: in CPUs
January 11, 2009 3:56:20 PM

Hello,

I currently have an older P4 3.0 ghz machine with an ATI X1650 pro card and 3 gigs of ram. I'm planning on upgrading but my tech knowledge is a bit outdated. Will I see much of a gaming difference by going to a dual core processor at 2.5 ghz and 4 gigs of ram with the video card remaining the same? From what I've read going quad core wouldn't really be much of an increase over the dual core in gaming performance because most games don't take advantage of quad core, is that correct? And if this is correct will I actually be slower going quad core at 1.8 ghz vs Dual core at 2.5 ghz?

I appreciate the help. I'm just wondering if it even makes sense to spend money on an upgrade from the P4 3ghz to the dual core 2.5's?

In terms of overall performance will quad core 1.8 ghz processor be faster or about the same speed as dual core 2.5 processors?

Thanks in advance for your help.

More about : performance gaming upgrade question

January 11, 2009 4:07:40 PM

Some games are more CPU oriented and some are GPU oriented. Really depends on the games you play. You will still see an overall increase going from a P4 to a Duo Core so go for it.
January 11, 2009 4:15:04 PM

mighty442 said:
Some games are more CPU oriented and some are GPU oriented. Really depends on the games you play. You will still see an overall increase going from a P4 to a Duo Core so go for it.

I don't think he will see an "overall" improvement. I think he will see an "overall f*cking night and day improvement".

Dude, upgrade to an Intel E8400, and you're set for the next 2 to 3 years. Mainly if you're a gamer. Don't buy into the Quad core hype, they are better but only for heavy / extreme multitasking.

They may and will be faster in some games, but nothing that warrants getting a Quad over a Duo for games.

And don't forget that, when Core 2 Duo starts to suck for games, so will your beloved Quads. It's all down to CPU architecture.
a c 850 à CPUs
a c 447 4 Gaming
January 11, 2009 4:26:18 PM

On a scale of 1 to 12, with 1 being the best, I think your X1650 pro is about an 11. Upgrade your vga card to something more current first. Then see if you want a cpu upgrade.

Dual core will help many games, a quad core only a few. A c2D at 3.0 like a E8400 will run most vga cards very well.