my monitor does not display anything what is wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubs52632

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
I have a custom built system with a GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L motherboard and a HIS Hightech H260PRFS512DDN-R Radeon HD 2600PRO video card and I cant get the monitor to display anything. I have diconnected everything but the video card, motherboard , memory, and psu and am still getting nothing. The card does have power to it through the pci x 16 as the cards fan is running. I have tried different combonations and am getting nothing. Do you guys think it is my motherboard or video card or something else. Any help will be much appreciated.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
I assume you are not even getting a POST or beep codes...

Monitor or graphics card is the best bet (or cable as unlikely as that is). I'd try to verify that one or both of those items works as it sounds like one of them is dead, or something is not connected properly (unlikely).

Does your monitor at least give you a no signal status if you turn it off and on? (try it disconnected form the card). Also if you have an LCD unplug the power and plug it back in before you do anything else, some of them have wierd issues at random (including mine).

cubs52632

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
no not getting any error codes and yes the monitor is fine. I switched everything over to a new case yesterday and it has not worked since. Nothing got dropped in the transfer or anything so I don't know what the issue is. Do you think it is best to go buy a graphics card?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

If it was running in another case but not in this one, the most likely problem is a misplaced standoff or other shorted circuit on the back of the motherboard. Of course, that usually causes instantaneous shutdown.

Another problem that doesn't cause instantaneous shutdown is if you forgot to hook up the CPU power cable, which is the 4-pin normally labeled ATX12V that plugs into a socket on the top rear corner of the motherboard.

cubs52632

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
is there any other things that would possibly allow it to run but not display anything on the monitor as i have pulled the battery on the motherboard and put it back in so i have tried that. the 4 pin on my board is right next to the 20pin and they are both plugged in so that is not it either. I am beyond lost on this.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

No it is not. The 4-pin ATX12V is on the upper rear corner of your board. You're mixing up the 4-pin power extension on the 24-pin connector. Now you know your problem.

ATX12V cables have two yellow and two black wires. The 4-pin extension on your 24-pin connector has red-orange-yellow-black wires. Each color designates a different voltage, so you're starting to see the problem right?

cubs52632

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
just wanted to stop back by and say thanks for the help as it did fix it and I don't even remember unplugging that, and now I feel like an idiot.

ziwar

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
of course its the RAM i had the same thing but when i changed the RAM to the another socket all thing worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.