E8400 overheating or a faulty mobo .. pls help

nadunx

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
Hi ,

My brother got a E8400 CPU and foxconn P45A-S mobo about a week ago. it was working just fine.. now the problem it has the pc shuts down automatically after couple minutes when turned on. I've checked all the components except the CPU and motherboard.

the e8400 CPU hits the temp 58 ( some times 60) once powered up the machine . it's with stock cooling fan. is this normal ? I have attached the heat sink with enough pressure. but I noticed if I remove the heatsink and put it back again sometimes it starts with temp 72 :(.

the pc shuts down automatically so now I'm confused.. is it an issue due to overheating the cpu or some problem with the mobo. also I noticed now I'm unable to install windows xp to this pc. each time at the screen where xp setup installs devices before installing networks, the pc turned off automatically and after 2, 3 seconds it boots up again automatically. also ubuntu live cd doesn't run on this too. once the loading starts...it shuts down..

I'm not sure to do a bios update on this board cause I don't know when the PC will shut down. Also I've flashed the bios once before this issue happen and now I have the feeling that I made this system faulty by updating bios.

please let me know your ideas about this one...all the parts are new and not older than a 2 weeks :(.

thanks for your time...

Mondoman

Splendid
Yes, the CPU is overheating because the CPU cooler is not properly installed. This is very common because of the poor design of the Intel 4-pin system, so don't feel bad. Remember that every time you remove the CPU cooler (even just to re-seat it) you need to clean off all old thermal compound from CPU and cooler, and apply fresh thermal compound. AS5 is widely available at places like Radio Shack and on the internet, but there are others that will also work well.

Next, read *carefully*and follow the mounting instructions here, starting with step 2.5: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/194385-31-part-assembly#t1184072

nadunx

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
thanks for the replies guys..

Shadow703793, the PSU is zalman zm750hp (750w). this PSU works great on my pc so I don't think the PSU is faulty. I will reseat the HSF.

Mondoman, Thanks for the link. Also I didn't have the thermal compound with me to use each time I remove the cpu cooler. The PC started to shut down and boot up automatically without reseating the hsf( I mean once I got them, installed them correctly and after few days..I'm experiencing this problem.)

reynod, thanks for the video. Im watching it right now.

anyway don't you guys think that this issue is occurred because of a faulty cpu fan ?I'll get the thermal compound tomorrow and reapply it, if the issue exists further. thanks.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
That push pin mounting design is junk. Either remove the mobo and make sure the HS pins are properly through the mobo or, preferably, get a new HS with a backplate.

If you have access to Newegg and clearance in your case, then I recommend the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler with the XIGMATEK ACK-I7751 Retention Bracket.

Note:
When applying thermal paste with the Xigmatek cooler, apply a thin layer across the CPU IHS (top) or across the whole base of the heatsink. The paste won't spread properly through contact because of the gaps between the heatpipes and the base.

nadunx

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
I tried fixing the hsf again and again but ... the error is the same. I guess also it is a problem with hsf not installed properly. anyway I'm tired with this CPU+mobo so I'm going to the shop today where I brought these two, to use the warranty. Lets see what will be the result after they change CPU or mobo. thanks for trying to help :)

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
It's the same mounting system, you are wasting your time, especially since nothing is technically "broken".

Just get a heatsink with a backplate and be done with it.

nadunx

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
Hi,

I took both CPU+mobo to technical service. they told me that the motherboard was dead. so they replaced it and now no more shutdowns or restarts. pc works great. :). Another issue I'm having now and tell you in my next post.

nadunx

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
as I told, I've replaced the motherboard and got a new one of the same type. and I plugged my HD 4870 in it. as soon as I've installed the latest version of driver for the card, just after the windows xp loading screen it hangs (but no more shutdowns or restarts ). I didn't try updating the bios for this board yet. did any of you guys came across with a similar issue ? please let me know your ideas. Thanks.

matobinder

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
Glad it worked out for you. Though it did really sound like the heatsink issue. The Intel Stock Heatsinks are ok for stock speed and all, but are crap to install. The only way to really make sure you get it on right is install the heatsink/fan before installing the motherboard so you can be assured you really go the pins to push through.

nadunx

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
yes, I did it this time before installing the mobo. any way do you have an idea about the other issue I'm having ? any ideas will be good enough for me. :) thanks.

You really need to uninstall the old drivers before installing a new graphics card ... did you do that or just run the Catalyst installer over the top of the old card and then just swap it?

Sounds like you crunched your drivers and poor windows doesn't know whats up.

Might have to boot into safe mode and then do what I said.

nadunx

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
yes I did unistall all the ati drivers and further I used driver cleaner pro to unistall them. But once I install them again the system hangs just after the loading screen. please note that I didn't update the bios to the latest one for this board yet. do you think may be this is the reason for this issue. anyway I'm hoping to install windows vista prior a bios update to see it works. thanks.

nadunx

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
thanks for trying to help mate, yes I did plugged the extra power for the 4870 ( two 6pin pci-e connectors) and my psu is zalman zm750hp(750 w). it is big enough for this single card. anyway I'll try switching to windows vista or updating the bios and let you know if anything unusual happen. :)

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Driver cleaner is a bit long in the tooth, unless it is the newer shareware version. Try Driver Sweeper. If that doesn't work reinstall the OS.

P.S. I don't believe that the mobo was causing your high temps, or even that it was bad.

nadunx

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
Zorg, I didn't believe it either. but after replacing the mobo now it works fine until I plugged my HD 4870 in it.

I'm now using vista ultimate 32 bit version. I've managed to install the drivers for the 4870 on vista (on xp after installing them the pc hangs) and it worked. but as soon as I restart the pc ( from start menu)... just after the loading screen the system again hangs. but if I reset the computer with the reset button on the case, then it booted up and works fine. ( If I restart the pc again...same issue happens.)

I didn't update the bios to the latest version yet. but anyway I'll have to update it if I dont have a choice...

the thing prevented me from updating bios through the foxconn software (fox live update) is, it tells me something similar to this..'updating the bios will cause restarting problems, which will not be covered by foxconn warranty' . As soon as I saw this message I hit cancel to bios update process.

do you guys think I'll be able to get around with this issue if I perform a bios update ?

reynod, yes I'm having a bit of tough time with this mobo..and sorry for the way I speak here if it doesn't sound nice.. :( this mobo gives me unexpected issues just out of the box ... my good old intel dg965wh board didn't gave me a single issue...it is a pretty good mobo although it doesnt support OC and e8400 which is why I bought this one.. thanks.

nadunx

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
Hi guys.. good news.

I managed to get around the issue I had and now the pc works great. ( I think so) What I did was I installed the chipset drivers on the driver cd. before I install the chipset drivers there was a device shown on device manager (named sm bus controller) requesting drivers for it. Now after installing the chipset driver theres no devices requesting drivers on device manager. I think may be that was the reason for the issue I had. but anyway I'm not sure about it ( I'll test it another few more days before I come to a decision, but for now.. I think it is ok :) )

thanks for trying to help guys.. :)

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
You always install the chipset drivers off the CD immediately after installing the OS.

DO NOT use any "live update" or any other Windows based update. Use the BIOS based update or a floppy only.