Memory and GPU Upgrade

jcmmg

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
Hi
I need some support regarding my PC upgrade. Currently I have a PC with a Motherboard Asus P5ND2-SLI N-Force 4MB, with an Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHZ 940 D 4MB L2 Cache S775, the graphic card is Nvidia GForce 7800 GT (256 MB PCIE), 1 GB memory Crutial 2X512 DDR2 PC5300, running Window XP (32, SP3). I want to do an upgrade and I don’t want to overspend. I am thinking to buy a Nvidia Gforce 9800 GTX, and increase the memory to 4 GB. My questions are: Does my motherboard is compatible with Kingston HyperX 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-8500C6 1066MHz Dual Channel Kit? Can I replace the Intel Pentium with a bigger one? Do I need to upgrade the power supply as is just 650 Watt? Do these changes will increase my FPS in Microsoft FSX?
Thanks!

Check asus website for the cpu and memory. Under support, you can list the board model number and a list of cpus will be displayed with the bios version you need to use for the cpu upgrade. The manual will also list the possible memory configurations, and the website will list brands and serial numbers of tested memory for your board. They can't test all the memory, but should have several brands listed. Your power supply should be fine for the upgrade if it is a recommended ps, such as seasonic or pc power and cooling. I use antec, which isn't too bad either.

jcmmg

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
Thanks for your reply; the Asus web site is very helpful. I found the motherboard manual and they recommend using only PC5300, which is cheaper and will ensure proper functionality, additionally I have verified the power need it to run the system and is Ok as you said. Also I have learned about 4GB limits in the XP 32 systems.

jcmmg

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
I have received my new Nvidia, but I am having some of issues. The first one is the SM bus controller, I can’t find this driver anywhere, and I don’t know what is. The second one is the DVD-RW is working randomly, sometimes it doesn’t detect the DVD’s. The last one is that in game when things get very demanding the system crash making a continued high-pitched sound. Does this problems are related? I am thinking that I could need more power, but can someone help me with these problems.

TRENDING THREADS