Intel i5 with a all in 1 coolit domino alc ?

DefecTalisman

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Ok, first up here is my current system -> http://www.evga.com/community/modsrigs/comment.asp?sysid=19831

My evga P55 sli board has mountings for a LGA775/1156 cooler/heatsink. What I was wondering is if I could use the -> http://www.ikonicit.co.za/index.php?target=products&product_id=3215 Coolit all in one system ? If the waterblock is big enough for a LGA 1366. Then it should git the 1156 using the 775 mounting bracket ?

Please help as I am struggling to finda anything to cool this CPU off. Stock in South Africa is very hard to come by, took me almost 2 months to get what I hace together and running.

DefecTalisman

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Spoke to the supplier, they are the importers for evga in this country. They also are the guys that bring in the domino. They did a little research, think they spoke to someone at coolit. The only thing that could be a problem is the profile of the chip on the board(how high the top most surface of the chip is from the board).

LoneWolf_53

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
The Domino should be fine with your i5. http://tech-reviews.co.uk/articles/2526/

What you might want to be careful of is when using one of those you are removing the CPU fan from the equation and often times other components rely on that for some of their cooling needs.

When I experimented with the Domino it did a fine job of cooling the CPU however the chipset ran much warmer as did other parts of the motherboard.

Whether this is an issue or not depends on the case and efficiency of ventilation that exists.

DefecTalisman

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
I was worried about loosing the 2 120mm fans, but there is still a 140mm intake in the front, a 140mm exhaust on the top and a 120mm sys fan on the graphics card.
After a benchmark this screen shows system temps -> http://www.evga.com/community/modsrigs/enlarge.asp?id=19831&pic=4&sys=1

I don't think it will be such a problem running the 1 gpu, but if I went with 2 bigger cards and the 250 as a dedicated physics card, it could get a little hot :s

You say you have 1st hand experience with this cooler, does it act like a exhaust or a intake. If its mounted at the rear I hope it extracts warm air, but then its pulling warm air through the radiator ? Which could be like a infinit loop :s

DefecTalisman

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Another chap brought up a good point, the mounting fo the 1156 on the back of the motherboard might ge in the way of the 775 back plate :s
Now I am loosing hope. :(

LoneWolf_53

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

Your case is better suited to using it than mine was from what you've indicated.

The fan exhausts in place of the previous 120mm case fan that would have to be removed in most cases in order to install the Domino.

Another thing that I thought I'd mention was that my experience was that as I indicated earlier the Domino does a fairly decent job of cooling a CPU however there are things to consider.

Having adequate case ventilation was one we've discussed but the other is noise. I originally experimented with the Domino because I'm always looking for ways to accomplish great cooling but as quietly as possible.

In my case because I overclock and keep my rigs under full load all the time the fan on the Domino was always running at maximum speed.

This in effect meant that in my situation it was louder than the TRUE 120 I had removed in order to try the Domino.

For me the result was going back to air cooling as it was quieter and just as efficient as the Domino.

Some air coolers such as the Noctua NH-D14 will outperform the Domino and do it quietly.

Hope this gives you some useful information.

DefecTalisman

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Ok, I think I am going to stay away from the domino. Any suggestions for a good i5 cooler? Looks like I am going to have to pull a favour from a friend overseas :(