Restoring a Zire71

March 25, 2005 1:47:25 PM

Right, I've got a replacement Z71 for my unlit old one.

How to fully restore?

Presumably, install all my non-palm software first?

Do I just drag and drop my .dat files from ...\palm\oldZ71\address
(datebook\todo etc) to ...\palm\newZ71\~?

I have an archive and backup directory in oldZ71 do I just do the same
with them?

Alan Sherman

More about : restoring zire71

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 10:38:56 PM

Alan Sherman <alansherm@aol.com> wrote in

> Right, I've got a replacement Z71 for my unlit old one.
>
> How to fully restore?
>
> Presumably, install all my non-palm software first?
>
> Do I just drag and drop my .dat files from ...\palm\oldZ71\address
> (datebook\todo etc) to ...\palm\newZ71\~?
>
> I have an archive and backup directory in oldZ71 do I just do the same
> with them?

Without a card backup, I would have given the new one the same name as
the old one, and just hotsynced. In practice, I would put the SD card
with my backup on it into the Palm and selected Restore, and then
hotsynced at my convenience, because it would have been completely
restored via the backup, without worrying at all about what was on the PC
and where it was.

--
Regards,

Stan

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 2:32:03 PM

On 27 Mar 2005 06:16:14 GMT, Stan Gosnell <murkuhn@gmail.com> wrote:

>Alan Sherman <alansherm@aol.com> wrote in
>
>I use BackupMan. It does automatic backups on 2 different schedules, and
>it backs up *everything*. I've had numerous hard resets, and always had
>a perfect restore from the backup on the card. It costs all of $10, and
>well worth it. There are other backup programs around, but I've settled
>on BackupMan. Works for me.

Thanks, superb.
Backed up dark Z71, restored to new Z71.
Bizarrely (well maybe not) the new one now has the Hotsync ID of the
old one.

Cost $11.75 in the UK (tax @ 17.5%).

Thanks again

Alan Sherman
March 29, 2005 12:17:38 AM

Alan Sherman <alansherm@aol.com> wrote in
news:D 0nf41p0tqrj3drhoklcffsnfspaqh58ih@4ax.com:
> Bizarrely (well maybe not) the new one now has the Hotsync ID of the
> old one.

No, not bizarre. BackupMan restores *everything*. Saved preferences,
unsaved preferences, all files, *everything*. That's why I use it.

--
Regards,

Stan

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 12:20:37 AM

Stan Gosnell <murkuhn@gmail.com> wrote in news:Xns96279167EA3mework@
204.52.135.8:

> No, not bizarre. BackupMan restores *everything*. Saved preferences,
> unsaved preferences, all files, *everything*. That's why I use it.

To elaborate, if the new Palm has a different hotsync name, then all your
registered programs will become unregistered, and stop working. Almost
all shareware and retail programs rely on the hotsync name for
registration information.

--

!