Now if only they OC the HD 5970...

r_manic

Administrator
14185_03.jpg

There's more to the card than just higher clock speeds, however. It uses a custom PCB and cooler to make sure its 760MHz GPU and 1050MHz (4200MHz effective) memory clocks are as stable as a rock. But while those increases over the stock 725MHz/1000MHz setup don't seem like much, there's bound to be a lot of headroom for some manual overclocking goodness with this variant.

A bit about the cooler; it is of a dual-slot nature with the use of four protruding heatpipes that run to a large heatsink with aluminum fins of which a centrally positioned fan blows air directly down.
Source

djackson_dba

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
" there's bound to be a lot of headroom for some manual overclocking goodness with this variant."

... and I base this opinion with absolutely nothing.

I love articles that say stuff like this and provide nothing to support it. Things like "It has been this way with other cards" is pure assumption.

Almost six months and we're still waiting for 5800 series cards with custom PCBs. Well I guess we're also waiting for them to drop in price too ^_^.

Anyway, I would like to see this card tested and I'd reserve judgment on it till I see some overclocking results.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
If there is a variant which allows higher stock clocks via a custom PCB and cooling solution, then can be fair to assume, given cooling and power as the main restrictive elements of the card and not the GPU/memory itself, that it will increase headroom in the OC department.

That is with the assumption that the GPU/memory are not the limiting factors. I think it is a sound prediction. It is an assumption that has been made many many times in the PC parts industry, that is almost always true.

Now, if this custom PCB were to use only lower binned GPUs and memory that max out at 760/1050, then it would be a false guess, but generally, the vendors use higher binned parts for higher performing variants.

Sure he was talking out his ass, but his ass might not be that stupid.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Man, i plan on getting one of the 5850's in the next week or so, i really hope the price does not go down shortly after that... going for the ASUS version, looks clean...

alexcheng

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009

Good buy! But I personally would go for the HIS version. Why? Because they're basically the same thing with different stickers, and HIS includes a Gamer's Kit!!!!!!! Hahaaa

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Ok, caved in and got the ASUS 5870!!! not the 5850!!!, this thing is a beast!!! ASUS has unlocked the voltage which allows for higher overclocks and covers it under warranty for 3 years!!!