HELP! New build not working....

coryburgess

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
I just finished putting my new build together and loaded Vista Ultimate 32. For the most part it seems to be working fine.

Parts LIst:

IC2D - E7200

Mobo - Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L/R

HDD - WD 640 AAKS

Corsairs 650 Watt PSU
Antec 900 Case

OCZ 2x2gb Ram 6400 DDR2

MSI 8600 GTS

Like I said everything is working except on the Mobo, there is an error trying to start up the realtek LAN. So i can't connect to the internet. Audio, USB's are all working. Just no LAN????

HELP?

ghmage

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Load the drivers from the motherboard CD.
Edit: Is this a problem with the device or a problem with the interface getting an IP address via DHCP? You may have to manually assign an IP address, default route/gateway, DNS.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
WELLL you've got the onboard?? audio working so,you must have turned on the lan too ??,therefore you need to check if your lan/drivers are compatible with your os,,maybe check with the realtek site to be sure there are drivers for your os and get the latest,,otherwise gotta a spare NIC laying around ??:)

coryburgess

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
I did and got it working.

I am just setting up the HDD in two Partiations

60 GB for OS
532 GB for everything else

It is a 640 gb HDD, but thats all that it shows available?? IS this a vista thing.

Any better suggestions on Partition/ Formatting HDD?

I will probably be getting another HDD just for business Stuff.

coryburgess

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
do i need another OS.?

Wait a minute, does Vista automatically set its own partition and page file that his hidden and thats where the rest of my HDD has gone??

When I loaded vista it asked me which disk to load windows, I selected the HDD and made a 60 gb space and said "here"

Now I am creating a disk , drive E, from the remaining 532GB which I was planning to use for everything. Leaving the original 60 to just be the OS.

I must have missed someting?

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
It is a 640 gb HDD, but thats all that it shows available?? IS this a vista vista thing.

He answered your question. No it's not a Vista thing. Because people were stupid back in the day, and though 1gb = 1000mb instead of the true 1gb = 1073mb. Hence the reason a 640gb drive reads 596gb.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I usually make about a 100GB and leave the balance for the second, but I'm not real concerned with the sizes as long as the primary isn't too small 60MB will do you.

Some people want to make the OS partition real small and put a partition for the swap file etc. I don't think the additional hassle is worth the small difference and you don't want to run out of space on the OS partition.

The truth is that you should have a second drive so if you have a hardware failure on the HD you don't lose what you "think" is your backup on the second partition. A second partition is the next best thing.